open files inside IE

colore

hello!

I know that pdf files can be opened and displayed inside IE, probably by IE a relative plugin

can this be done with doc, docx, xls, xlsx, ppt, pptx, etc files?

also, how can I utilize this feature of IE and open all the above files inside a custom window of a program I write?

thanks!

1 - Yes, if you have the associated software installed (Box will say "Save" or "Open", just like an EXE file)

2 - No clue... why would you want to do that? Isn't the "function" INTEGRATED in IE? (see #1)

You must be a Programming Whiz to even suggest such a project. If so, why would you ask here/

1 - Yes, if you have the associated software installed (Box will say "Save" or "Open", just like an EXE file)

I believe that what you are describing is regarding opening the document FROM inside IE using an external app, whereas I believe the OP was talking about opening the document WITHIN IE and never leaving IE. As he said, this is possible with pdf files with the appropriate plugin installed. I'm not aware of which, if any, plugins enable this behavior for the document types he listed, but I would imagine that Google could find out for him. I don't know, and frankly don't care, since I avoid using IE if at all possible. I would rather use an external program expressly meant for that purpose.

Cheers and Regards

hello!

I know that pdf files can be opened and displayed inside IE, probably by IE a relative plugin

also, how can I utilize this feature of IE and open all the above files inside a custom window of a program I write?

thanks!

It sounds like you want to access the specific MIME settings for MSIE (not to be confused with system wide MIME settings which are visible with Nirsoft MimeView).

Maybe my memory is failing but I seem to remember early versions of MSIE (or maybe it was Netscape or Mosaic) which had options for viewing/setting web browser MIME associations directly.

If you ever use Opera which does offer access to its settings, then check out Tools > Preferences, click Advanced, click the category Downloads, uncheck Hide file types opened with Opera, and you can access the entire list of filetypes currently known to Opera, edit them or even add new ones. I suspect that this is what you are trying to do with MSIE, correct? Personally I stopped using MSIE for all but the most stubborn webpages (and Windows Update naturally) so to me your question is a good one as I haven't kept up with it. Since MSIE is so well integrated into the system direct editing may be more complicated than it should be.

I suspect any moment Jaclaz will be along with several links to 3rd party apps that successfully do what you wish. :thumbup

I believe that what you are describing is regarding opening the document FROM inside IE using an external app, whereas I believe the OP was talking about opening the document WITHIN IE and never leaving IE. As he said, this is possible with pdf files with the appropriate plugin installed. I'm not aware of which, if any, plugins enable this behavior for the document types he listed, but I would imagine that Google could find out for him. I don't know, and frankly don't care, since I avoid using IE if at all possible. I would rather use an external program expressly meant for that purpose.
Nuh-uh!!! I have Adobe installed, and it OPENS from WITHIN FF and IE to the EXTERNAL program, JUST like OPENING an EXE will OPEN it to the EXTERNAL EXE (all within the TEMP folder). ;)

Seriously, I do it all the time! MP3's and whatever else work... THE SAME WAY! All you needs is the "plugin" Interface!

YES! DANG IT!!! INSTALL OFFICE 2007 or HIGHER!!! OR OFFICE 2002/2003 AND CONVERSION PACK!!!!

(No I did NOT misunderstand... sheesh!!!)

Edited by submix8c

With PDF application's plugins you can open a pdf straight from the File menu and it displays in IE. For doc or xls, they open in a separate Word or Excel window. For them to open in IE, they must be part of an HTML page.

With PDF application's plugins you can open a pdf straight from the File menu and it displays in IE.

@submix8c, this is what I was talking about, and what I think the OP was talking about as well.

(Yes, I believe you DID misunderstand... sheesh!!!)

Cheers and Regards

With PDF application's plugins you can open a pdf straight from the File menu and it displays in IE.
@submix8c, this is what I was talking about, and what I think the OP was talking about as well.

(Yes, I believe you DID misunderstand... sheesh!!!)

Cheers and Regards

Nope... no misunderstanding. See attached Screenshots. First is the Add-On's (note the Adobe PDF). Second is my Temp Folder - note that I have BOTH a PDF and a DOC opened. Granted, the Adobe is WITHIN the Browser and the DOC is OUTSIDE of the Browser, HOWEVER, you MUST have the associated Software installed, AND the File itself will ALWAYS Download to the TEMP folder (Go ahead - open a LARGE pdf in IE/FF).

Screenshot #3 shows... OPENED IN IE!!!! :w00t:

I know that pdf files can be opened and displayed inside IE, probably by IE a relative plugin. can this be done with doc, docx, xls, xlsx, ppt, pptx, etc files?
I simply am CLARIFYING a misconception. The file is REALLY opened BY THE APPLICATION, and NOT a "plugin". AND they OPEN IN THE BROWSER!

Nope, no misunderstanding here... ;)

(edit - snapshots out of order, but I'm sure you can distinguish)

post-72994-0-26560800-1338309679_thumb.j

post-72994-0-32799000-1338309694_thumb.j

post-72994-0-18043200-1338309707_thumb.j

Edited by submix8c

this is what I need, but the problem is how to utilize it as a part of another program, created by a simple programming/scripting language
??? That makes absolutely no sense at all...

umm, how explain it better...

I want to take advantage of IE that is present in every PC and it can open every doc, pdf, etc file and create a program that utilizes this to open those files in a IE window that will be embedded in the program window

You want to write Word and Excel add-ons for IE yourself ? for personal use ? :blink:

Why don't you just download Microsoft's "Viewers" and spare a few years of your life ?