Opera 11.64

frogman

and treated 98/ME users basically like s*** on their forums from that moment on at about the same time they moved on to Bing as their default search engine...

if this is true then Opera doesn't have good future ...

• 1 month later...

Let's just hope that the whole buyout thing goes down in flames and Opera remains (almost) completely independent. We can certainly handle the little nuisance problems individually.

Well Opera 12 doesn't work properly on 98/ME even with KernelEx so whether they remain as they are or become swallowed by MS or get bought by FB is completely irrelevant to me as it won't affect the current 11.6x version I will still be using.

And for the record they dropped 98/ME support and treated 98/ME users basically like s*** on their forums from that moment on at about the same time they moved on to Bing as their default search engine...

Opera officially dropped Win9x/ME/NT4 support since version 11.00 and they'll soon drop Win2k support with upcoming Opera 12.50 release.

Opera 12.50 snapshot build 1513 (similar to a Firefox nightly build) has started to drop w2k support. by the time 12.50 is officially out, that one requires minimum XP.

The difference between Firefox and Opera is that in case of Firefox they at least provided a reason for dropping Win2k support (using VS2010 to compile Fx) while in case of the current snapshot of Opera 12.50 it's still compiled in VS2008 and can be easily made to work in Win2k without even using any unofficial kernels. They didn't say anything about why they had decided to drop Win2k support.

The difference between Firefox and Opera is that in case of Firefox they at least provided a reason for dropping Win2k support (using VS2010 to compile Fx) while in case of the current snapshot of Opera 12.50 it's still compiled in VS2008 and can be easily made to work in Win2k without even using any unofficial kernels. They didn't say anything about why they had decided to drop Win2k support.

Does this mean Opera 12.50 can be made to work for windows 98 using KernelEx?