Opera 11.64

frogman

Would someone have any ideas why on this link the WMP can play the file with no problems in Firefox 3.6.28, but the same player shows when using Opera 11.64 but will just not play the video.

Would this be anything to do with the fact to how Opera 11.64 was installed in that the stand alone installer wasn't used and the work around was used instead.

I have tried inserting the plugins used by Firefox, but this hasn't helped, and to be honest when I tried the link with Opera 11.64 at first it was WMP 6.4 that would appear and again with no play, but I found out by going to the registry and entering a new key for OPERA.EXE, this then made the 9 series of WMP show, but that only helped half of the issue, the other half being that it won't play.

I know you might say well just use firefox, but the thing is I have found Opera to be faster, and if I could get a fix for this then I would prefer to use Opera.

Here is the link.

http://www.vdat.com/techsupport/windowstest.asp

Edited by frogman

have same issue on 11.52

but then again I only noticed MS sites force wmp crap videos so I left the issue behind :)

Thanks for putting me out my misery, been trying to fix this will all sorts this afternoon with no joy, will stop now as it seems a bug with Opera itself.

You are right though as most sites use flash player.

:lol:

Some websites do not accept Opera, especially older versions of Opera (browser sniffing). Try "Identify as Firefox" or "Mask as Firefox" {Right click on page, select "Edit site preferences", select "Network" tab).

Some websites do not accept Opera, especially older versions of Opera (browser sniffing). Try "Identify as Firefox" or "Mask as Firefox" {Right click on page, select "Edit site preferences", select "Network" tab).

I recommend this minor tweaking of the Opera standard configuration. In Tools > Appearance >

- click on the Toolsbars tab, make sure Status Bar is checked (and Progress Bar is 'Pop-up at bottom')

- click on the Buttons tab and then click the Preferences category, with the mouse click/hold/drag the Identify as Opera control to the Status Bar on the bottom of the screen (I highly recommend the far right side above the SysTray between the existing controls) and when the little insertion arrows appear, release the mouseclick..

- I also click on the Browser View category and do the same click/hold/drag with the Author Mode and the Page Zoom 100% controls, placing them all nest to each other on the far right side of the Status Bar.

- Click OK to dismiss the Appearance dialog. Now you can clean up the default mess of junk on the Status Bar by right clicking on all the other controls and selecting Remove From Toolbar. This especially includes all the icons on the far LEFT side of the Status Bar, the ones that obscure the visibility of displayed URL's that are under the mouse pointer. Personally I just leave those three controls and nothing else.

NOTE: what happens with the Identify as Opera dropdown box is that after you change it to Opera/Firefox/MSIE, it functions by sending the identity string for any pages you click after you change it. So, any already open pages in tabs are displayed as they were from the previously requested identity string that was selected at that time. For example, you can set it to Opera and open a page in a tab, set it to Firefox and open another page in a tab, set it to MSIE and open another page in a tab. You can then switch between these open tabs and compare what page you received using all three different identities.

Finally, there is potentially bad news regarding Opera! ...

http://www.neowin.net/news/facebook-rumored-to-be-buying-opera

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Facebook-Opera-Browser-Software-Acquisition,news-15364.html

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/45795/facebook-browser-opera-software-buyout

Way Worse! than "potentially bad news" ....CharlotteTheHarlot.

I (personally) think its "Real, Real, BAD, most disconcerting news!!!!!!!!

The Tentacles reach ever onward! Nothing is safe from the ensuing horror.....of Face Book.

If you’ve read the news from various websites including the ones listed above, the majority of the responses have been negative to wards Facebook buying Opera.

Since I never had nor plan to create an account with Facebook, I too am watching what will be the outcome on this acquisition.

Hopefully my version of Opera is too old for it to be affected on what Facebook plans to do if they leave the bargaining table with Opera’s Portfolio. Only time will tell.

This reply was made using Opera 8.5

Would someone have any ideas why on this link the WMP can play the file with no problems in Firefox 3.6.28, but the same player shows when using Opera 11.64 but will just not play the video.

Would this be anything to do with the fact to how Opera 11.64 was installed in that the stand alone installer wasn't used and the work around was used instead.

I have tried inserting the plugins used by Firefox, but this hasn't helped, and to be honest when I tried the link with Opera 11.64 at first it was WMP 6.4 that would appear and again with no play, but I found out by going to the registry and entering a new key for OPERA.EXE, this then made the 9 series of WMP show, but that only helped half of the issue, the other half being that it won't play.

I know you might say well just use firefox, but the thing is I have found Opera to be faster, and if I could get a fix for this then I would prefer to use Opera.

Here is the link.

http://www.vdat.com/techsupport/windowstest.asp

The Link works with Opera version 10. That is the highest Opera browser that I have on my PC

Way Worse! than "potentially bad news" ....CharlotteTheHarlot.

I (personally) think its "Real, Real, BAD, most disconcerting news!!!!!!!!

The Tentacles reach ever onward! Nothing is safe from the ensuing horror.....of Face Book.

Fully agree. No good can come of this. Opera has always been a fine example of what completely independent 3rd party software can be.

The fact that its 'market share' has always been very low (like Ferrari or Lamborghini :D ) has been its true strength.

If the powers-that-be at Opera just want to cash out and get paid, please just sell them the mobile version. Release the desktop source code to the community, perhaps Sourceforge!

No good can come of this. Opera has always been a fine example of what completely independent 3rd party software can be.

Despite appearances Opera's not really independent, why do you think Opera's default search engine is Microsoft's Bing when you install it?

That's because Microsoft pays them for it and I would think it's a significant part of Opera's overall income...

Similarly Firefox isn't independent either as they are almost fully funded by Google...

No good can come of this. Opera has always been a fine example of what completely independent 3rd party software can be.

Despite appearances Opera's not really independent, why do you think Opera's default search engine is Microsoft's Bing when you install it?

That's because Microsoft pays them for it and I would think it's a significant part of Opera's overall income...

Similarly Firefox isn't independent either as they are almost fully funded by Google...

If Bing as default search is the extent of external influence, well, I can live with that. It is easily mitigated by adding a manual search field from all those choices you see in Tools > Appearance > Buttons > Search.

Just for an experiment I typed some gibberish into the address field and noticed partial results from Google instead of Bing, so I must have successfully changed the default at some time in the distant past. There is no mention of it in the About:Config section either. Long ago I customized the layout on Opera and these changes have persisted for many years through countless upgrades (Opera keeps such changes in INI and other local files rather than the registry). So whether Microsoft or Yahoo or Altavista gets the 'default' slot likely won't affect me personally, though I am unsure why. It is probably more likely that my ISP will throw up its web search when something goes wrong. Whatever.

Let's just hope that the whole buyout thing goes down in flames and Opera remains (almost) completely independent. We can certainly handle the little nuisance problems individually.

Let's just hope that the whole buyout thing goes down in flames and Opera remains (almost) completely independent. We can certainly handle the little nuisance problems individually.

Well Opera 12 doesn't work properly on 98/ME even with KernelEx so whether they remain as they are or become swallowed by MS or get bought by FB is completely irrelevant to me as it won't affect the current 11.6x version I will still be using.

And for the record they dropped 98/ME support and treated 98/ME users basically like s*** on their forums from that moment on at about the same time they moved on to Bing as their default search engine...

Edited by loblo

This is very bad news :( but still just a rumour so let's hope it won't materialise ;)

I've used Opera since version 5/6 (don't remember exactly). If it's gone then Firefox will probably the only option left (Chrome and its clones don't count).