Best graphics cards for older pc's?

I have an old machine I've just set up with 2000 but I think there might be a problem with the graphics card. I was looking around at review sites and the one I have (GeForce FX 5700) was slated by people. I need a nice cheap card, something mid range that would suit an old machine. The machine itself is from around 2002 and the card from 2004 I think. Any recommendations?

I tried that but ran into another problem before I could get any further. The site said I needed Java for driver search to run, so I downloaded the latest version that's compatible with 2000 (1.6.0.27) from File Hippo. Unfortunately, according to the Java test site it isn't working (or is disabled) and the driver search just stalls.

I tried that but ran into another problem before I could get any further. The site said I needed Java for driver search to run, so I downloaded the latest version that's compatible with 2000 (1.6.0.27) from File Hippo. Unfortunately, according to the Java test site it isn't working (or is disabled) and the driver search just stalls.

Hmm....

I am using W2k and was able to go to the nVidia website using Browncoat's link and successfully do the search without Java installed on the system, unless you count the old obsolete MS Java that Microsoft used to include with their OS's.

I use Opera 11.64 as my browser by the way.

Anyway....the search recommended ForceWare Release 90 version 93.71 WHQL for your graphics card.

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/93.71/93.71_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe

Sometimes you can pick up an entire Pentium 4 computer of 2005 or later vintage that has up to 64MB of onboard graphics for less than the price some vendor's charge for just a graphics card plus postage. It depends on whether or not you live near a major city I suppose.

Edited by Arminius

I just checked the drivers I installed and they're the same as what Arminius found in his search. Should I try an older driver like Browncoat suggested or perhaps a newer version (one update up from what I have now) for XP+? The latter might seem like a silly option but I assume a lot of XP compatible software is now 2K compatible with the updates I currently have. Thoughts / suggestions?

@tomasz: Yes, I have your UURollup. :) I know this sounds silly but after the problems I had with the newer versions of Flash and Avast I wasn't sure if I should try the new Java, so I left it. I wanted to get all the unofficial 2K updates before I tried getting the latest third party software.

@Arminius: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll make some calls and see what some of my local repair shops have available. Having read up a little on the different cards and compatible slots (PCI, PCIe?) I'm not sure what to go for if I try another card though. It seems like a lot changed after 2004. I'd like to try an ATI card to see what it's like. Do you know of any good ones?

I'm just bumping the thread because I didn't get an answer about the older / newer drivers for the Nvidia card and alternate graphics card. Can someone advise me on what to do here?

It seems at least two of my replies never got posted. Weird. Anyway, I thought I'd try another brand and see how it performed (provided it was a simple enough procedure and cheap enough) because the one I have now is playing up with the old games. Basically, I want to use this machine for old games and the ones I've tried so far have all had problems when I scroll. Instead of a smooth scrolling / panning action, it's very choppy and staggers across the screen. These are old games like Command and Conquer, Starcraft and Unreal. I've been messing around with the Nvidia settings but nothing seems to make a difference.

These are the some of the settings (I've marked the current settings in red). I haven't tried changing the Antialiasing settings or Anisotropic filtering because I have no idea what they do.

Screen refresh rate 65hertz, 70, 72, 85

Performance and quality settings / Image settings high performance, performance, quality, high quality

Performance and quality settings / Antialiasing settings application controlled, off, 2x, 2xQ, 4x, 8x

Performance and quality settings / Anisotropic filtering application controlled, off, 2x, 4x, 8x

The rest just seem to be for color (32bit) and resolution (1024 x 768).

Since this is for an older machine, and older games, I would suggest setting ALL controls to their "lowest" or "poorest" settings, ie the ones that put the least amount of strain on your CPU, and see if you have better luck. If the scrolling performance improves, but the image quality is below what you are willing to tolerate, then slowly, one at a time, bump up the settings until you reach an acceptable compromise.

Cheers and Regards

StarCraft runs fine even on Riva TNT2 so it'd be probably the best if you tried another card to see if the problem is really related to the current one before actually buying anything.

Edited by tomasz86

Since this is for an older machine, and older games, I would suggest setting ALL controls to their "lowest" or "poorest" settings, ie the ones that put the least amount of strain on your CPU, and see if you have better luck. If the scrolling performance improves, but the image quality is below what you are willing to tolerate, then slowly, one at a time, bump up the settings until you reach an acceptable compromise.

I've tried doing that but nothing changed. The only settings I haven't touched are Antialiasing settings and Anisotropic filtering because I don't know what they do. Any ideas?

StarCraft runs fine even on Riva TNT2 so it'd be probably the best if you tried another card to see if the problem is really related to the current one before actually buying anything.

I'd like to try another card but in order to do that I'd need something compatible with this old machine (preferably an ATI card). I was hoping someone would know of a good alternative to the card I have now (Geforce FX 5700). On a side note, would DX be an issue? The post SP4 updates installed DirectX 9c but after that the games installed an older version (5 or 6 I think). The system says it's currently running 9c but do I need to uninstall that and run an older version of DX for the games to work properly? Or, do I need to install 7 and 8 as well to fill in the gaps?