HELP! Errors... install XP via USB

This is my very first post here... Hope anyone will enlighten me.

I'm an IT student and I'm willing to help if I have the knowledge but still I have my problems too so please help me.

I'm trying to install xp pro sp2 via USB. I've read many tutorials through google but all failed.

Ive tried them:

wintoflash - can't find EULA

Usbperp_8 bundle - Cant find setup... not enough memory something like that

winsetupfromusb - can't find EULA

multiboot_10 - can't find EULA

USb(somethin...) - one option can't find EULA and another option BSOD. (my classmate made this so I don't remember the software used)

Unetbootin - Can't find setup.

I read many fix but all of them don't solve any.

Fix I've tried:

Original XP CD to use

use eeExp iso

format NTFS

http://forums.aria.co.uk/showthread.php/67899-Installing-XP-via-USB-nLite-problem

Change AHCI to IDE compatibility in BIOS (I can't find any AHCI in my bios... I use American Megatrends)

etc...

Please help me with this... It's been a week finding a fix so I think consulting professionals will be the best thing to do.

by the way I'm using a 2gb flash and the netbook is a sony viao.

I formatted all my files on the hard drives (2 partitions) and accidentally don't have a back-up(even I'm an IT student T_T) but instead of thinking this I'm just focusing first on installing windows xp.

extra info:

1st partition = newly formatted in ntfs

2nd partition = XP setup files ( can't be formatted bcoz of this files)

sorry for the long post.

PLS HELP ME!

sorry for the long post.

You shouldn't be sorry for the "long post " but rather for the utter lack of meaningful info in it :ph34r:

This Forum is the "home" of a few projects dedicated to install XP from USB.

Now, it would be logical to:

1. FORGET (temporarily) each and every other program and/or attempt you (or your friend) made
  2. get LATEST version of this:

3. try it after having made sure that you have a valid, original source
  4. if it doesn't work, post again in the appropriate Forum section:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/157-install-windows-from-usb/
    giving EXACT, DETAILED info on both your source and the hardware (EXACT make/model/version of your PC)

If you have, as I seem to understand, the XP install files on a partition, it would be wise to use a PE or a Linux Live distro (or whatever) to backup them on an external disk/USB stick, and from it recreate a "proper" install .iso.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

ah sorry. I will give Info's not written if you ask me to. :rolleyes:

sorry again for the wrong forum section. just want to have some attention :unsure:

I guess the partitions don't have any backups left so I guess I left it as it is for now. as for the drivers maybe the later time I can find it.

Again wanted to focus on installing XP.

I'll post tommorow the specs of this sony vaio netbook since I dont know totally for It's not mine :huh: .. (It's already midnight here)

please hang for me til the next days.

I appreciate the first reply I got here. Thank you very much jaclaz.

I'll try the latest version. I'll post feedback tomorrow.

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Hello, Im back

I can't understand what to put on other options in winsetupfromusb.

dont know what to put at window vista / 7 / recovery iso ...

and

UBCD4WIN / Winbuilder / BartPE ...

When I follow the screenshot drive letters or leave the two unchecked then click GO, The Setup then automatically closes.

is there an easy tutorial?

Try reading again, this time slowly, what has been suggested to you:

You shouldn't be sorry for the "long post " but rather for the utter lack of meaningful info in it :ph34r:

This Forum is the "home" of a few projects dedicated to install XP from USB.

Now, it would be logical to:

1. FORGET (temporarily) each and every other program and/or attempt you (or your friend) made
  2. get LATEST version of this:

3. try it after having made sure that you have a valid, original source
  4. if it doesn't work, post again in the appropriate Forum section:
    http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/157-install-windows-from-usb/
    giving EXACT, DETAILED info on both your source and the hardware (EXACT make/model/version of your PC)

If you have, as I seem to understand, the XP install files on a partition, it would be wise to use a PE or a Linux Live distro (or whatever) to backup them on an external disk/USB stick, and from it recreate a "proper" install .iso.

jaclaz

Particularly points #3 and #4 and the final sentence.

Basically (of course according to my perverted mind ;)) you need to create an install .iso if you haven't currently one, then, you should leave the present thread alone and - if you need help - start a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Please, also take into account the "lag" you are experiencing, when you hit the post button (ONCE) count to 15 slowly, then open a new window, check if your post already got through, and only if it has not, count again slowly to 15 and then try hitting the post button again (you triple posted again :w00t: )

jaclaz

Basically (of course according to my perverted mind ;)) you need to create an install .iso if you haven't currently one

Just so the OP doesn't get confused, it looks like the tool you pointed to doesn't require an iso but just the plain set of install files, which he should have (but obviously with a twist leading to unsuccessful attempts till now).

Basically (of course according to my perverted mind ;)) you need to create an install .iso if you haven't currently one

Just so the OP doesn't get confused, it looks like the tool you pointed to doesn't require an iso but just the plain set of install files, which he should have (but obviously with a twist leading to unsuccessful attempts till now).

Yes and no.

The tool requires a "mounted .iso" OR an "original CD" OR a COPY of the "original CD" contents.

The OP seemingly has some install files in a hard disk partition, this may or may not be a COPY of the "original CD" contents, hence the suggestion to re-create a .iso from them files.

I have no idea of the contents of the hard disk folder,nor what exactly "WinsetupfromUSBwithGUI" currently checks to make use of a "source", but it is likely that there will be a check for files, like the Win51IP or Win51IC files that normally are not on hard disk, and as well, being a OEM, and particularly a SONY (second in my particular categorization of "troublemakers", right after DELL and right before HP ;)) the idea of re-creating an "original" CD or .iso has been a proven successful method to have a "working base", and in any case, should the tool fail (as well as all the others OP seemingly tested) one can always borrow an external USB CD and install from it (for which a CD is definitely needed).

If you prefer, creating an install .iso from the set of files is a way to "validate" them in a foolproof way and at the same time be ready for a "plan B", should it be needed.

jaclaz