VC runtimes for Win2k

Asp

Ive got a new install of Win2k, discovering lots of things it needs to run my programs.

One are the various VB runtime dlls, like msvcp80.dll

What is the cleanest way to get the latest versions of all these (all up to VB8 at least) installed?

Google gives me a million dubious "DLL download" sites, and Microsoft's site is a maze.

Edited by Asp

You mean "Visual C" (in addition to Visual Basic). (the one you mentioned can be found in, e.g. "Visual C++ 2005" package)

Highest VB's (AFAIK) go to v6.

Try googling "Visual Basic Runtime" and "Visual C Runtime" (without quotes). OR do the search on MSdotCOM Downloads.

VB and VC are two different softwares. You only want the Runtime modules. I'm not really sure what the "last" versions for Win2k would be, but chances are, the latest might work. (add Windows-2000 to your search).

VC included/used-by VC2005/VC2008/dotNetv1.0+v1.1 (see here). These versions are the ones you probably want (the RUNTIME packages previously mentioned).

You mean "Visual C" (in addition to Visual Basic). (the one you mentioned can be found in, e.g. "Visual C++ 2005" package)

Highest VB's (AFAIK) go to v6.

Try googling "Visual Basic Runtime" and "Visual C Runtime" (without quotes). OR do the search on MSdotCOM Downloads.

I tried those searches. No luck .

Ever file you search for is used as bait to send you to some garbage SEO site.

And I'm sure it is at MS, but their search is full of articles with useless advice "reinstall the application", etc.

I could find copies of the files somewhere, but I was hoping for something someone can recommend

Edited by Asp

Assuming that you want MS VC++ libraries I'd recommend going this way:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122707#122707

1) Download "Ricks-YumeYao_MicrosoftVC78910RuntimeLibraries_Addon_2_1_3.7z" and unpack it.

2) Remove these files:

mfc100cn.dll 
mfc100de.dll
mfc100es.dll
mfc100fr.dll
mfc100it.dll
mfc100jp.dll
mfc100ko.dll
mfc100ru.dll
mfc100tw.dll
mfc100us.dll
mfc70CHS.dll
mfc70CHT.dll
mfc70DEU.dll
mfc70ENU.dll
mfc70ESP.dll
mfc70FRA.dll
mfc70ITA.dll
mfc70JPN.dll
mfc70KOR.dll
mfc71CHS.dll
mfc71CHT.dll
mfc71DEU.dll
mfc71ENU.dll
mfc71ESP.dll
mfc71FRA.dll
mfc71ITA.dll
mfc71JPN.dll
mfc71KOR.dll
mfc80CHS.dll
mfc80CHT.dll
mfc80DEU.dll
mfc80ENU.dll
mfc80ESP.dll
mfc80FRA.dll
mfc80ITA.dll
mfc80JPN.dll
mfc80KOR.dll
mfc90chs.dll
mfc90cht.dll
mfc90deu.dll
mfc90enu.dll
mfc90esn.dll
mfc90esp.dll
mfc90fra.dll
mfc90ita.dll
mfc90jpn.dll
mfc90kor.dll
mfc90rus.dll

3) Go to Safe Mode, open command prompt in the folder with the unpacked files and run this:

FOR /F %I IN ('DIR/B/S *.dll') DO COPY/Y %I %SystemRoot%\system32

Overwrite any existing files, and reboot the computer after all files are copied. MS VC++ 2010 files need some dependency fixes to work but it's an another topic :whistle:

Alternative route

I've included all these libraries in UURollup (ENU) so you'll have them in your system after installing it. All dependencies are also fixed there.

Thanks for both responses.

My search terms weren't as precise.

And UUrollup looks perfect for my needs.

I have been contemplating moving to XP, but with that I can put it off for a while longer.

Tried these, fairly small exes.

The VC 2008 redistributable worked, but the actual dll I needed wasn't there.

The VC 2005 installer aborts with "error 1723" which is vaguely defined as "missing dll", without specifying which one it needs.

So I tried the UUrollup, and that worked 100% and now I can run VirtualDub again.

They are too old.

Download from here.

Tried these, fairly small exes.

The VC 2008 redistributable worked, but the actual dll I needed wasn't there.

The VC 2005 installer aborts with "error 1723" which is vaguely defined as "missing dll", without specifying which one it needs.

So I tried the UUrollup, and that worked 100% and now I can run VirtualDub again.

Edited by blackwingcat

The VC++2005 was an "update", not the full Redistributable. I gave you links based on "search". Look at the bottom of the 2005 link - clearly says "What Others Are Downloading" - and the link to the full Redistributable.

VC++2008 contains (among other things) "msvcp90.dll" which obviously you did NOT need. You needed the VC++2005, of which I unintentionally gave you a link to an "update", "assuming" you understood that you needed a FULL package that specifically stated the module names (and they do, too). You should really pay attention to text (and READ it) in any links given and not assume that what you want/need is handed to you on a silver platter.

At any rate, the UUP contained all of those and the VC++2010 modules (not to mention a whole gaggle of additional non-related files) as well. Note that "UU" stands for "Unofficial Updates" (a rather large download, compared to BOTH what I gave you AND the FIRST link tomasz86 gave to you).

Whatever...

edit (due to post already posted while I was making my post) -

@blackwingcat - You really shouldn't bother (already gave links to SP1 Redistributables and a diatribe - see above...)

Edited by submix8c

The VC++2005 was an "update", not the full Redistributable. I gave you links based on "search". Look at the bottom of the 2005 link - clearly says "What Others Are Downloading" - and the link to the full Redistributable.

VC++2008 contains (among other things) "msvcp90.dll" which obviously you did NOT need. You needed the VC++2005, of which I unintentionally gave you a link to an "update", "assuming" you understood that you needed a FULL package that specifically stated the module names (and they do, too). You should really pay attention to text (and READ it) in any links given and not assume that what you want/need is handed to you on a silver platter.

At any rate, the UUP contained all of those and the VC++2010 modules (not to mention a whole gaggle of additional non-related files) as well. Note that "UU" stands for "Unofficial Updates" (a rather large download, compared to BOTH what I gave you AND the FIRST link tomasz86 gave to you).

Whatever...

edit (due to post already posted while I was making my post) -

@blackwingcat - You really shouldn't bother (already gave links to SP1 Redistributables and a diatribe - see above...)

Look, while I'm grateful for the attempt to help, there is no need to be so accusatory about this.

I just read the 2005 "update" page completely, again, and nowhere does it say you need to have installed an earlier version. (Probably it is on a linked page, but there isn't anything on that page.)

Usually an "updated" version is just the latest version, replacing a previous version.

When it failed I went to the UU package, which I'd downloaded in the meantime, since I wanted to try that anyway, for all the other updates it bundles, and as that worked I didn't bother trying to work out what the problem was with the 2005 package/update.

Yes, I did actually read, and maybe even understand, what the UUP was before I installed it.

As for "What Others Are Downloading", it looks like some kind of social media thing. ("Your friends are getting these files!) Most of the links there are irrelevant. Again, you know which one isn't because you already knew where it was.

Obviously I'm not familiar with how MS organises and presents its files, that's why I came here and asked the question, but I'm not a stupid or lazy just because I don't know exactly what I need to search for and where it is before I start. Maybe you should leave questions like this to someone with more patience.

Edited by Asp

I just read the 2005 "update" page completely, again, and nowhere does it say you need to have installed an earlier version. (Probably it is on a linked page, but there isn't anything on that page.)

Usually an "updated" version is just the latest version, replacing a previous version.

<snip>

As for "What Others Are Downloading", it looks like some kind of social media thing. ("Your friends are getting these files!) Most of the links there are irrelevant. Again, you know which one isn't because you already knew where it was.

Obviously I'm not familiar with how MS organises and presents its files, that's why I came here and asked the question, but I'm not a stupid or lazy just because I don't know exactly what I need to search for and where it is before I start. Maybe you should leave questions like this to someone with more patience.

1 - It clearly states that it is a "fix". If you attempt to install a "Fix" for (e.g.) IE6, it won't install it. You need the IE6 package FIRST! I clearly stated that what you WANTED was the Redistributable, NOT a Fix!

2 - "Social Media Thing"??? MS is trying to HELP you get what you REALLY want... Clicking on any of those links takes you to ANOTHER download...

3 - "Patience"? You ask and ask and ask. Sorry, but I see you as "complaining taker" that won't put any effort into their own project but want others to do the legwork for you (i.e. LAZY).(...and go back and look at the other posts/topics you made... you'll see what I mean)

x - Learn how to "SEARCH" before asking someone to do it FOR you (which is what I initially did). :realmad:

On that note, I wish you joy in aggravating others that want to help you. I shall not. ;)

P.S. You might ALSO modify the Topic Titles with something like "[solved] Problem with YadaYada..." (is this one solved? how about the others? be kind to other peeps so they know a CURE exists therein...)

edit - and I DO believe you were give the "simple" fix by another member. ;)

Edited by submix8c