Extremely Slow Boot of Windows 7 (avg.3mins)

PUNU34

Recently Windows 7 has been booting very slow. This actually starts after the appearance of the Welcome screen, not during the appearance of the Windows logo.Previously the Welcome screen was shown for only a few seconds and then the desktop appeared directly.But now the Welcome screen appears for 20-25 seconds,then the screen goes black for another 30-40 seconds and finally the desktop appears.I installed BOOT RACER to measure the boot time and the average time is near about 3minutes.I tried to find out a solution by googling all day and night but could not find anything except one in MICROSOFT ANSWERS [http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/windows-7-slow-boot/ba062956-286f-4a81-9b0e-cc29276babe0]. I went through the posts but could not find out the exact solution,so I decided to post in this forum.

A brief history: What actually happened is that I downloaded Windows8 skin pack for Windows7 and tried to install it.After the installation finished,I was asked to reboot my computer. After rebooting, I found that neither my computer was starting up nor I could enter the advanced boot option (by pressing F8 when the manufacturer's logo appeared). So the only option left with me was to do a start up repair using the system repair disc (that I created earlier).It helped me and finally I could see my computer booting to desktop. From that day on-wards, I started facing this slow boot problem. I thought that everything will be normal after several boots but it proved me wrong. I suspected that my system might have been affected by viruses or malwares. So I ran a thorough scan on my system using MALWARE BYTES ANTIMALWARE, SUPER ANTISPYWARE, tdsskiller,Avast!. Nothing was detected except some ad-ware tracking cookies by SUPER ANTISPYWARE and some key-gens(which I manually downloaded) by MALWARE BYTES ANTIMALWARE.

Moreover I carried a thorough cleanup process using CCLEANER, Advanced System Care, Wise Registry Cleaner, Wise Disk Cleaner (including disk defrags,registry defrags,disk clean up,check disk,etc.) but...none of them helped me to reduce my system's boot time.

I went through the post in MICROSOFT ANSWERS and here are the answers of the question that were asked by "Andre.Ziegler" to "thunderclap82" -

1>I don't have a solid color wallpaper but still I tried to run this [http://support.microsoft.com/hotfix/KBHotfix.aspx?kbnum=977346&kbln=en-us] hotfix. After performing the steps the only reply that I got was- "the update is not applicable to your computer". It didn't fix my issue.So I decided to make a boot trace.

2>When I traced boot using " xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP " command, my computer showed a startup problem and as a result I had to restore my system to get everything back on track.

3>Then I tried to trace the boot using " xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP " command and it worked showing the following error-

Gave up waiting for Win7RTM physical prefetcher after 300 seconds. Could not wait for prefetcher. Could't find kernel logger in active logger list. Couldn't find user-mode logger in active logger list. Fortunately the system could stop the trace!!

I have compressed the boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl as .RAR and have uploaded it to my Skydrive.The link is https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=C816A9980F6DD75!148

It takes nearly 3 minutes for my computer to boot to desktop and you know its really frustrating. Its freaking me out. I don't have any idea how to deal with this problem. Please help me out. I don't want to re-install windows.

I have provided my System Information in SkyDrive too and the link is https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=C816A9980F6DD75!150

Thanking you in anticipation,

Regards,

Purnendu

the hotfix only applies the Windows 7 RTM and not Sp1 or if you have another update installed which updates the files to a higher version. In this case the update is no longer needed.

Your Windows i terrible slow, because you've disabled all speedup mechanism of Windows ;) So, install the Sp1 + the hotfixes from here:

next enable SUPERFETCH in the services mMC snapin and run the optimiziation I've shown here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140262

After you did this Windows boots much faster.

the hotfix only applies the Windows 7 RTM and not Sp1 or if you have another update installed which updates the files to a higher version. In this case the update is no longer needed.

Your Windows i terrible slow, because you've disabled all speedup mechanism of Windows ;) So, install the Sp1 + the hotfixes from here:

next enable SUPERFETCH in the services mMC snapin and run the optimiziation I've shown here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=140262

After you did this Windows boots much faster.

Thanks a lot MagicAndre 1981 for your worthy suggestions. I followed your instructions step by step-

1) I installed SP1.

2)I installed the hotfixes and rebooted the computer and found that my computer boot time significantly reduced to 2:10 minutes.

3)I installed the windows updates and again rebooted the computer.(This time the boot time was near about 2mins.)

4)"EnablePrefetcher and EnableSuperfetch registry settings" were set to 3.

5)Started the SUPERFETCH services.(by taking the full control of the folder SysMain. Path- HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet\services\SysMain)

6)Ran the " xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot " command.

7)Computer restarted once then automatically restarted to run the assessment no.2(out of 6).

8)After it restated for the 2nd time and booted up to desktop; an error message popped up-

" Gave up waiting for Win7RTM physical prefetcher after 300 seconds. Could not wait for prefetcher. Could't find kernel logger in active logger list. Couldn't find user-mode logger in active logger list. "

Then I clicked on 'Close' and the system didn't carry out the assessment.

Then I checked the SUPERFETCH service and found out that though its 'Startup Type' was set to 'automatic' but nothing was listed under its 'Status'(i.e.it was not running). I again started the SUPERFETCH service and ran the " xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot " command and again faced the same problem.

But I noticed that the black screen doesn't appear anymore and my computer now takes near about 1:10 mins to boot to desktop. Can you suggest me any way of troubleshooting this error so that my computer can run the whole assessment?

Though I am very happy that my computer's boot time has reduced from 3 minutes to just 1:10minutes, but I would have been more satisfied if the error message was not shown and my computer could have completed the assessment. :)

Thanks a lot again MagicAndre 1981. :thumbup

Hello,

You could download AutoRuns and check if there are unnecessary programs that run during startup.

Thanks a lot UltimateSilence for your worthy suggestions. Its a great application. I removed some of the startup programs like windows live mail. I appreciate your suggestion too. :)

8)After it restated for the 2nd time and booted up to desktop; an error message popped up-

" Gave up waiting for Win7RTM physical prefetcher after 300 seconds. Could not wait for prefetcher. Could't find kernel logger in active logger list. Couldn't find user-mode logger in active logger list. "

Then I clicked on 'Close' and the system didn't carry out the assessment.

Then I checked the SUPERFETCH service and found out that though its 'Startup Type' was set to 'automatic' but nothing was listed under its 'Status'(i.e.it was not running). I again started the SUPERFETCH service and ran the " xbootmgr -trace boot -prepSystem -verboseReadyBoot " command and again faced the same problem.

But I noticed that the black screen doesn't appear anymore and my computer now takes near about 1:10 mins to boot to desktop. Can you suggest me any way of troubleshooting this error so that my computer can run the whole assessment?

there still seams to be an issue with Superfetch. Can you upload the latest trace, so that I can look at it?

there still seams to be an issue with Superfetch. Can you upload the latest trace, so that I can look at it?

This is the link of the new boot trace result- https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=C816A9980F6DD75!151... Yeah a few minutes ago I found out that my problem still persists(i.e.the black screen reappeared) :( . There are few informations I think I should provide-

1>To Remove Windows Boot Manager:

I ran " bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu no " command

2>To use more ram:

I ran " fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2 " command

3>To disable the UAC:

I ran " %windir%\System32\cmd.exe /k %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f " command

4>To turn off prompt for consent UI:

I ran " %windir%\System32\cmd.exe /k %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f " command

5>My system is protected by AVAST! antivirus.

6>Advanced System Care5 is running on my system. I used its smart defrag utility but before optimizing my windows I uninstalled it and scheduled the Disk Defragmenter of Windows.

7>I also use WISE REGISTRY CLEANER as well as WISE DISK CLEANER and CCLEANER too.

Are these softwares or commands preventing the assesment to run(in any way)??? :huh:

Forgot to mention that I ran a registry tweaker to increase the performance of the computer and the link is - "http://www.computingunleashed.com/registrytweaks-for-speeding-up-windows.html"

Edited by PUNU34

The superfetch service is still not running, that's why Windows is still slow.

All your tuning tools damaged Windows. All those tuning tools are CRAP/NONSENSE. Remove all and make sure superfetch is running all the time.

My $.02... DO NOT allow Registry Cleaners to "clean" you registry UNLESS you know what they do/do-not "do". And make sure that ANY of the Softwares allow for BACKING UP the ORIGINAL settings/values BEFORE acting on them AND is able to RESTORE them in some manner. Likewise ANY "Tuners"...

Three Rules for messing with an OS -

1 - Backup

2 - Backup

3 - Backup

1st of all, Thanks to all of u for your worthy suggestions. Sorry for late reply. Finally, I managed to reduce the boot time of my Windows 7.

The superfetch service is still not running, that's why Windows is still slow.

All your tuning tools damaged Windows. All those tuning tools are CRAP/NONSENSE. Remove all and make sure superfetch is running all the time.

Yes you were most probably right 'MagicAndre1981' that all those tools might have damaged my windows.So the 1st thing that I tried was to remove all those tools and see whether I could start 'Superfetch' or not but still I could not start the service.(God knows what was preventing it from getting started. I performed clean boots to find out which service/startup was conflicting with it by taking the help of this article but I was helpless.)

I tried a lot, googled all day and night to find a solution (how to start 'Superfetch') but I could not find any(that could work for me) except one- "to do a repair install of Windows 7"

My two cents about the error message about superfetch: Someone had the same error and solved it so this might help you (or not).

Thanks 'allen2'.The link that you suggested. helped me to some extent.

Before doing a repair install, I gave a last try to run the assessment but at the 6th time I got this error-

Failed to defragment disk after 5 attempts

PrepareSystem failed

Couldn't find kernel logger in active logger list

Couldn't kind user-mode logger in active logger list

I googled and a found a solution of the problem

here.

I did not have the patience to run the assessment again by turning 'superfetch' on(by taking full control over registry and reebooting) and make the necessary changes in Registry Editor.So I gave up.

Then I thought of performing a repair install of windows 7. I gathered some information about it from

here.

Then steps that I followed-

1>removed some of the programs (like Wise Disk Cleaner,IObit Advanced System Care, IObit Password Folder Beta(I found in a post where it was mentioned that this program sometimes prevents 'superfetch' from running in some or the other way; though I am not sure about it)).

2>did a

Repair Install of my Windows(which included SP1).

3>did some

Registry Edits.

4>installed Windows Updates and

Hotfixes.

5>rebooted my computer.

6>ran the assessment.

and everything was back on track!!

thumbup.gif

Now my windows boots up to desktop just within '40 seconds'(earlier which was near about '3 minutes').

biggrin.gif My boot results are- Boot Timings.txt which I recorded with BootRacer

Thanks to all of you again.

smile.gif

And now this post can be marked as 'solved'.

welcome.gif

Regards,

Purnendu

Edited by PUNU34