Windows Server Backup on 2008r2 Enterprise

bookie32

Hi folks :rolleyes:

Thought it prudent to start a new thread because the topic is different from my error in my last thread....

I am looking for those of you who have tried the new "Windows Server Backup" function and really know for certain how it works.

I have a .wim of my basic install and updates. My setup is as below:

120GB ssd drive

Windows (installation) 60GB and Ubuntu 10.04lts on the other 60GB

1TB WD Black 64mb cache

Linux Swab and Home

!TB WD Black 64mb cache

This is an extended drive divided up into Program Me (user) and Vmware

2TB WD Green 64mb cache

This is a extra space for all my files from linux

2TB WD Green 64mb cache

This has most customer files MDT

When I created the .wim of my ssd I just took the Windows C: partition but will probably look at backing up the Ubuntu installation as well now..... :)

I didn't create a wim of my "program files" and "user" files and that is something I need to look at and wonder about the best options for that. I haven't had to reinstate my C: drive from the .wim and am not sure if the links to the "program files" and "users" will be intact?

If they are - then how does the "Windows Server Backup" function differ from that.....if it does...lol

As hard drives become larger and larger - so does the prospect of doing backups :w00t: , so it is important to make the right decisions before it is too late. Of course - no backup is fool proof we are at the mercy of the technology we use and that is doesn't let us down too often...I hope :no:

Ultimately it would be nice to back up everything and I suppose a virtual server would be the best option. Maybe some feedback and links to relevant material would be nice.

Any questions - plese ask!

Thanks!

bookie32

Hi again!

I have been reading up on the "Windows Server Backup" function and it is hard deciding what is the best route to take because of the llimitations of program being 2TB.

bookie32

I've never seen any business who trusts their data to any MS backup tool. Everywhere I've worked it's been either Backup Exec, or, if you run your server(s) on vSphere Veeam (main file backup) + Backup Exec (for secondary stuff, like backing up Active Directory). It just works, it's dependable, and you never have to worry about losing data.

Hi CoffeeFiend!

OK! You have my attention. To be quite honest I don't care what the backup solution is as long as it works. I have looked at the pricing for the backup exec from symantec and that is another cost I can't warrant at the moment.

I know it isn't that expensive for a small business....just I haven't money to spend on such things at the moment...

Thanks anyway!

bookie32