Notebook's drivers integration

gipsyshadow

I answered the question AFAICT. You tell ME what was in Intel's minds... My clairvoyance button is currently broken.

Reread previous post (I hi-lited a portion).

Go with it!!!!!

I answered the question AFAICT. You tell ME what was in Intel's minds... My clairvoyance button is currently broken.

Ugh... No, the "VALID QUESTION" was whether or not to add the contents of the SP folder based on the fact that they were labeled slightly different, Understand ? (e.g. ICH5IDE.INF vs. ICH5ID2.INF). 'That' was the valid question !

(yes I know the answered 'NOW' so no need to answer it again )

If you are going to give me a speech about doing some homework before I ask a question then try and focus on what I actually write.. Now I'm not trying to be an a$$ either but try and be a little less "clever" in your posts....

Edited by aliceinchains

Googled - intel inf "sp folder" (221 results)

http://www.google.com/search?q=intel+inf+%22sp+folder%22&hl=en

Google gave this on MSFN. That is the best answer I can give.

I focused on the question which I indicated was irrelevant. You did not do your homework if I found the answer in a matter of minutes.

Please focus instead on your project with accurate answers (and links) given. Also please stick to a single thread. It's not easy bouncing.

edit - ICH5xxxx is not even pertaining to your Laptop... irrelevant.

edit2 (from README.TXT)

NOTE: The sub directories (e.g. SP) contains special INFs.
Edited by submix8c

Googled - intel inf "sp folder" (221 results)

http://www.google.com/search?q=intel+inf+%22sp+folder%22&hl=en

Funny thing about "results",eh ? They aren't always answers,if ya know what I mean. :thumbup

For example,

Google gave this on MSFN. That is the best answer I can give.

I came to that same post in my google search too (isn't that a coincident ?) Unfortunately, I didn't find

"Either way, I'll try with both and see how it goes."

and

"with new release of infs, the ones in sp folders are newer than the other out side the sp folder."

to be conclusive .. :whistle:

But I won't say that post wasn't insightful. For instance, did you realize when that guy asked pretty much the same identical question that I did, the other guy didn't ask for him to list his computer,driver chipset,or any other of the prerequisites that you ask for ?

EDIT: It was a valid question and I did research it submix.. If you figured it out faster than me,well then that makes sense considering you are a computer guru and I am not.

Anyway, you did supply great information and I am grateful.. Peace to you. (Sorry for my less than tactful reply earlier.)...

Edited by aliceinchains

Here is you Laptop.

...and here is your documentation.

System chip set - Mobile Intel 945PM Express or Mobile Intel 945GM Express
The SP folder contents appear to be identical to the root folder contents (e.g. ICH5IDE.INF = ICH5ID2.INF). You just need the 945GM.INF.

BTW, the INF fileset that was provided to the Original Poster (by Ponch) is even newer than that and fits your Laptop as well (same filename as I just gave you).

Ponch supplied this so if I add the 'newer' 945gm inf to the nlite, do I also add my older inf ? The reason I ask is because the newer one doesn't look like it adds the usb..

Might I suggest you get your documentation to assist in obtaining the rest of your drivers? I also suggest you get the necessary Software from Dell as well (if needed).

I have the resource CD but other than that there isn't really any other software for it that I am aware of.

Link #1 I gave (Your Laptop) - Go to the Bottom - Under "Support" Column, click "Drivers and Downloads, then Click "Laptops", then "Inspiron", then "E1705". VOILA!!! All of your drivers.

I see no USB Drivers per-se - please note ICH5 (6, etc) is a different chipset than 945GM. Don't confuse the two.

Link #2 is for the Documentation (may already be on your Resource CD).

Please note that -

1 - Resource CD is more than likely OLDER drivers than...

2 - What is on the Dell Website (updates since Dell issued the Rsrc-CD) and

3 - Usually there are (but not ALWAYS) Newer Drivers for a given piece of Hardware - Use ONLY the Newest! It serves NO PURPOSE to include Old then New. (Kind of like Installing WMP10 then WMP11...)

Going back to Link #2 - Specs -

six 4-pin USB 2.0-compliant connectors
This is in reference to the ICHxUSB "drivers" (which are for 82801) and XP generally provides USB except in special cases. If you don't see them on your Resource CD or the Dell Website, I'd say they are not for your Laptop.

Please note that Chipset Packages are just that - they are for MULTIPLE Chipsets (i.e. PACKAGES). For all that it matters, you can needlessly include ALL of them but the Install will only use what it FINDS that it NEEDS.

Do you already have XP installed on it? If so, try looking in the Device Manager. In there you will see SPECIFICALLY what Devices exist.

Finally, if you had downloaded the "Ponch" package and the associated docs, you would see that YES, it does indeed include EVERYTHING that you already "downloaded" except... NEWER! Just because it doesn't specifically state USB, has no bearing.

Go here and browse around. Heck I even have a VIA Chipset and my OS found the latest drivers.

Not to totally miss the boat, here is where Ponch undoubtedly found the Chipset Drivers. Look there too.

A "google" on E1705 and "USB Controller" implies the ICH7xxx.INF (82801G) set should be included.

Finally, if you had downloaded the "Ponch" package and the associated docs, you would see that YES, it does indeed include EVERYTHING that you already "downloaded" except... NEWER! Just because it doesn't specifically state USB, has no bearing.

OK so I should just extract the "ponch" package zip and point the 945gm inf file to the nlite for my chipset driver ?

(I have all my other drivers from the dell site.)

Sorry man, I have basically very little knowledge about drivers (FYI) other than what they are for so my questions might seem pretty novice. Which is why I never included them in the nlite before.

OK so I should just extract the "ponch" package zip and point the 945gm inf file to the nlite for my chipset driver ? (I have all my other drivers from the dell site.)
A "google" on E1705 and "USB Controller" implies the ICH7xxx.INF (82801G) set should be included.
(1+3=4 INF's)...and...
Do you already have XP installed on it? If so, try looking in the Device Manager. In there you will see SPECIFICALLY what Devices exist.
Edit - and the Packages you downloaded from Dell will be Drivers (need Unpacked - search MSFN for Universal Extractor) as well as Software you may/may-not need that probably can't be directly integrated without making an Add-On. Edited by submix8c

OK so I should just extract the "ponch" package zip and point the 945gm inf file to the nlite for my chipset driver ? (I have all my other drivers from the dell site.)
(1+3=4 INF's)...and...
Edit - and the Packages you downloaded from Dell will be Drivers (need Unpacked - search MSFN for Universal Extractor) as well as Software you may/may-not need that probably can't be directly integrated without making an Add-On.

Just to be clear about the = "1+3=4 INF's," all the xp inf's are in the same folder so that's why I asked about pointing the 945gm inf at the nlite. The same folder has the ich7core inf as well but my original driver has ich7usb,

and ich7ide as well but the 'ponch' driver doesn't, the closest thing it has (by name) is ich78usb and ich78ide...

; ****************************************************************************

; ** Filename: ICH78USB.INF

; ** Abstract: Windows* INF Update File

; ** Intel® 82801 USB devices

; ** Last Update: August 05, 2009 (Version 9.1.1 Build 1016)

So im assuming that is the right one ? ..and to just point the content of that folder to the nlite,correct ?

EDIT:

Yes, I do have XP on this Computer.

Here is what was inside Device Manager:

In this section: IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Intel 82801GBM/GHM (ICHC-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller-27c4

In this section: System Devices:

Intel 82801 PCI Bridge -2448

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express RootPort - 27D0

Intel 82801G (ICH Family) PCI Express RootPort - 27D6

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller - 27DA

Intel 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Controller - 27B9

Mobile Intel 955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express PCI Express RootPort -27A1

Mobile Intel 955XM/945GM/PM/GMS/940GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller - 27AO

In this section: Universal Serial Bus controllers

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family)USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family)USB Universal Host Controller - 27c9

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family)USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family)USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB

Intel 82801G (ICH7 Family)USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC

Edited by aliceinchains

(sigh...)

submix8c, on 03 June 2012 - 01:34 PM, said:

where xxx means ANY of the characters there (even xxxx or xxxxxx).

It appears that every single item you listed is in that SET of INF's.

Do what I said! The

945GM.INF ( 1 )

and the ( + )

ICH7xxx.INF Set (ALL of them) ( 3 ... and now... 4! )

ONLY FROM FOLDER "ALL"!!!! ( = OMG!!! 4! ... and now... 5! )

I WAS after all going with YOUR original "ZIP" ( =4 ) file!!!

This is NOT that complex! Follow Instructions TO THE LETTER! The "Ponch" ( =5 ) Set is just NEWER and includes support for NEWER DEVICES (hence the "xxxx" name changes)!

Edited by submix8c

Optional - In Step#4 - go to here (READ it) and get ONLY the Updates (DO NOT Integrate WMP11 or IE7 or IE8 at this time - you will get even MORE confused) - BEFORE clicking "next", SORT the HotFixes by Ascending Date. This step will get you fully up-to-date as-of the date specified. NO OPTIONALS are provided (i.e. "Add-ons").

Also browse through the nLite screenshots to get a better idea.

Hi submix8c :) how are you?

Well I've follwed your links and run the batch file and it downloaded ALL those files. So must i delete the 3 files under "Needed for Windows Update" (WGA validation and so on...)?

I don't want to integrate WMP or IE. Have i to delete other ones of those files?

see you :D

No, don't delete those. They are needed for Windows Update. Unless of course you want to waste time by having Windows Update install them on first visit.

followup to -X-'s post -

Don't delete ANYTHING! IEv6 and WMPv9 are part of the XP Install already! All Updates you "downloaded" are necessary! Anything in "footnotes" or any other posts on WMP10 or ANYTHING above/beyond Basic XP are considered 'Extra Add-Ons". And before you ask... Flash Player IS provided on your "original CD" (i.e. NOT "extra/add-on") and MUST/should be updated with the Adobe Flash Player Update! -X- Updates are solely for anything ALREADY in the I386 Folder.

Integrate along with that your Drivers and you are Installed, Up-To-Date, but WITHOUT Extras/Add-Ons.

side note - and YES! DotNet is an Add-on! (Notice it in a separated CD Folder?)

Edited by submix8c