Notebook's drivers integration

gipsyshadow

You are not working with MCE/Tablet. Slipping the SP3 automatically puts that folder there regardless (it's in the SP). Again, that folder ONLY exists on CD#2 of the MCE. CD#1 is IDENTICAL to a Standard XP-Pro. If the WinXP you are slipping is XP-Home, it will NOT be "integrated" (won't be put there - Home is detected and a different set will be integrated).

At any rate, since MCE doesn't apply to me, shouldn't I always delete this folder after I integrate everything / before I create the ISO ?
I said that already. As for the "differences", I don't want to go back to my notes as to WHAT they are, just be satisfied that they men nothing whatsoever. Remember that MS had a PRE-INTEGRATED CD of XP in all cases.

SP3 Integration into MCE was never correctly done by MS, so nLite will "hose" an MCE by back-pedalling (e.g.) MediaPlayer (among other things). This would happen even Manually. nLite only Integrates according to Manual. No magic, except that nLite is kind enough to "re-compress" several files whereas Manually they will not (and you will have older compressed and newer uncompressed).

Just do it the way I said...

You are not working with MCE/Tablet. Slipping the SP3 automatically puts that folder there regardless (it's in the SP). Again, that folder ONLY exists on CD#2 of the MCE. CD#1 is IDENTICAL to a Standard XP-Pro.

I originally got MCE with this computer but It was a DVD, not 2 cds.. Is there anyway to get the XP pro part out of my MCE DVD ?

I said that already. As for the "differences", I don't want to go back to my notes as to WHAT they are, just be satisfied that they men nothing whatsoever. Remember that MS had a PRE-INTEGRATED CD of XP in all cases.

No worries, I was only curious.

If you are working with MCE, then it will NOT work!!!! The ONLY way of avoiding it is to use a non-MCE key. MCE key is what Initiates an MCE Install (which include the CMPNENTS components). Non-MCE key initiates Standard Pro Install. No way around it. You CAN'T slip SP3... It will "revert" it to a Standard Pro, which you do NOT have a Key for! Using YOUR key and that slipped CD may or may not work, but I doubt it. You just indicated it's an OEM CD (I have one that came with my Dell MCE2005). Try it AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! The Internet is RIFE with horror stores of Slipping SP3 into MCE2005.

Sorry, can't help you any more. You'll have to look for that elsewhere... I WILL tell you this, however... that key you need has to be for THAT BRAND COMPUTER (i.e. HP, Dell, etc.) to pre-activate (like mine)!

Browse around here to see what's different.

There is NO effective way (AFAIK) to Slip it. Best bet is to Download Any/All Updates and install WHILE RUNNING. It can THEN detect you are RUNNING MCE. If you Slip it, there is NO WAY TO KNOW if it's a Standard or MCE. AGAIN, MS "dropped the ball" on SP3. (READ inside that link - PRE-2005 version it WAS possible, as SP2 did NOT hose it).

If you are working with MCE, then it will NOT work!!!! The ONLY way of avoiding it is to use a non-MCE key. MCE key is what Initiates an MCE Install (which include the CMPNENTS components). Non-MCE key initiates Standard Pro Install. No way around it. You CAN'T slip SP3... It will "revert" it to a Standard Pro, which you do NOT have a Key for! Using YOUR key and that slipped CD may or may not work, but I doubt it. You just indicated it's an OEM CD (I have one that came with my Dell MCE2005). Try it AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!! The Internet is RIFE with horror stores of Slipping SP3 into MCE2005.

Sorry, can't help you any more. You'll have to look for that elsewhere... I WILL tell you this, however... that key you need has to be for THAT BRAND COMPUTER (i.e. HP, Dell, etc.) to pre-activate (like mine)!

Browse around here to see what's different.

There is NO effective way (AFAIK) to Slip it. Best bet is to Download Any/All Updates and install WHILE RUNNING. It can THEN detect you are RUNNING MCE. If you Slip it, there is NO WAY TO KNOW if it's a Standard or MCE. AGAIN, MS "dropped the ball" on SP3. (READ inside that link - PRE-2005 version it WAS possible, as SP2 did NOT hose it).

I understand.. Eh, not worth the bother, I'm running professional on this right now anyway,was hoping I could use it for another computer of mine since I'm not using it on this.. I don't like the mce extra garbage which is why I am running pro now.

One question about this comment you made to the other guy..

"Extra INI" files? PLEASE don't tell me you ran nLite against an nLited source!!!! You MUST start with a FRESH copy of the CD EACH TIME!!!"

There are indeed extra ini files as soon as you integrate updates/hotfixes,etc... They are 'last session.ini' and 'last session_u.ini and my source has never been touched by nLite before.

You can safely remove these before you create the ISO,yes ? Plus I have a notepad txt called 'sq.txt' and on the inside it says 'SQ_SP2_2' ... Can I remove this as well ?

Comment to "the other guy"... they had an ADDITIONAL two, indicating that they were attempting to double-nLite - NO-NO!!!

...and YES they can be removed (they are a copy of what's in your nLite folder).

SQ.TXT? That APPEARS to be a Dell w/SP2 OEM CD/DVD. Am I to assume you have a Dell PC? (You may be getting on shaky ground... that CD/DVD should have come with the PC). One might HOPE that Dell didn't "fool around" with it.

There are indeed extra ini files as soon as you integrate updates/hotfixes,etc... They are 'last session.ini' and 'last session_u.ini and my source has never been touched by nLite before.

You can safely remove these before you create the ISO,yes ?

If they ALREADY EXIST it has ALREADY been nLited, so NO you CANNOT "double-nLite" it. REREAD the comments given to the other chap!!!! It MUST be an UNTOUCHED (i.e. NOT nLited) XP!!! PERIOD! An UNTOUCHED OEM is ALSO "usually" alright... NEVER "double-nLite" NONONONONO!!!!! (if it has ALREADY been nLited, you MAY be using WAREZ, like the OTHER guy attempted).

See this and this (re SQ.TXT). DEFINITELY a Dell Recovery CD (however I have a Dell OEM SP3 and it also does not). That file is irrelevant.

Enough! You have your answers. I will answer no more! If your PC is a Dell, then you SHOULD have the CD's that came with it... UNTOUCHED, USE them and be happy...

Edited by submix8c

SQ.TXT? That APPEARS to be a Dell w/SP2 OEM CD/DVD. Am I to assume you have a Dell PC?

Yes.

If they ALREADY EXIST it has ALREADY been nLited, so NO you CANNOT "double-nLite" it. REREAD the comments given to the other chap!!!! It MUST be an UNTOUCHED (i.e. NOT nLited) XP!!! PERIOD! An UNTOUCHED OEM is ALSO "usually" alright... NEVER "double-nLite" NONONONONO!!!!! (if it has ALREADY been nLited, you MAY be using WAREZ, like the OTHER guy attempted).

No, I said that AFTER I use the hotfix section of the nlite... ( "There are indeed extra ini files as soon as you integrate updates/hotfixes,etc... " )

My stuff came from dell.. except the none OEM pro version. Ugh... I wouldn't use a cracked copy for an OS.. LOL ..Anyway thank you for the answers submix8c ..

To save space, you can probably (afterward) delete SP2.CAB and SP2.CAT (about 18mb) and the "cmpnents" folder (applies only to MCE/Tablet CD#2 - another 25.7mb).

I wanted to if this was still valid since it was written at the time of SP2.

Folders considered safe to delete in your Windows Setup Source are:

DOCS, VALUEADD, and SUPPORT. This will free up 22.3 MB or so.

Let's go in further by navigating to the I386 directory with your Windows Setup Source. If you don't plan to use this CD to upgrade from a previous OS, you can delete the following folders:

WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG and WINNTUPG. This will free up 37.6 MB

If you have a localized language version of Windows in your own language, then you probably can also delete:

LANG. This will free up approximately 99 MB (This may vary)

Sorry, I wrote my post incorrectly and it didn't make sense..

On the unattended site, it says you can get rid of these files to save about 185 mb

Folders considered safe to delete in your Windows Setup Source are:

DOCS, VALUEADD, and SUPPORT. This will free up 22.3 MB or so.

Let's go in further by navigating to the I386 directory with your Windows Setup Source. If you don't plan to use this CD to upgrade from a previous OS, you can delete the following folders:

WIN9XMIG, WIN9XUPG and WINNTUPG. This will free up 37.6 MB

If you have a localized language version of Windows in your own language, then you probably can also delete:

LANG. This will free up approximately 99 MB (This may vary)

Is this still ok to do ?

Here is the link.

Also, I initially came in this thread because I also have some confusion on how to integrate my chipset driver,and what inf to use.

I extracted my chipset driver and The version.txt says this,

Title: Chip Set: Intel Mobile Chipset DRVR

Version : A09

OEM name : Intel Mobile Chipset

OEM Version: 7.2.2.1006

Inside the xp folder exists:

852.inf

855.inf

865.inf

915.inf

915m.inf

945.inf

945gm.inf

dmi_pci.inf

e7220.inf

e7230.inf

e7520.inf

e8500.inf

ich4core.inf

ich5core.inf

ich5ide.inf

ich5usb.inf

ich6core.inf

ich6ide.inf

ich6usb.inf

ich7core.inf

ich7ide.inf

ich7usb.inf

ichxdev.inf

plus another folder (sp) with;

ich5id2.inf

ich6id2.inf

ich7id2.inf

So how to I know which one to point at Nlite ?

EDIT: Actually, I just need to know if I add any infs from the 'sp' folder.

...and it is to my understanding chipset has to be first on the list ?

Edited by aliceinchains

1 - Yes, you can "delete" those, BUT, to do a "Repair Install" you MAY need the UPG folder. There SHOULD be an additional "DOTNETFX" folder. Why you may want to go this extreme I'm not sure. Integrating SP2 (directly) will NOT increase the Image beyond fitting on a CD. I suggested creating a "JUST LIKE AN SP3 PRE-INTEGRATED" for the purpose of NOT repeating the WHOLE PROCESS in case of Integrating HotFixes and Drivers AND "tweaks" LATER. Basically, "simulating" having a "PRE-INTEGRATED"!

1a - "Almost" PreIntegrated (using nLite or Manual - preferably nLite)

1b - Repeat nLite using 1a doing whatever your heart desires.

2 - The EXACT "INF" depends on your Dell PC Model - you never said what it was. Each INF is for a different ChipSet. YES the ChipSet First.

3 - Try using the "Edit" button on your posts. Please don't Create Another Post One Behind The Other! You'll still get noticed. Only Create a NEW post when following ANOTHER poster's post.

4 - You CAN "Integrate" (AFAIK) just Drivers into your Dell OEM MCE2005. Just don't attempt to Integrate SP3, Hotfixes, etc. JUST the Drivers. Otherwise, you can do what you want to with the Pro Retail (non-MCE2005) but it WON'T be pre-Activated (that's an OEM/Volume License thing).

Edited by submix8c

1 - Yes, you can "delete" those, BUT, to do a "Repair Install" you MAY need the UPG folder. There SHOULD be an additional "DOTNETFX" folder. Why you may want to go this extreme I'm not sure. Integrating SP2 (directly) will NOT increase the Image beyond fitting on a CD. I suggested creating a "JUST LIKE AN SP3 PRE-INTEGRATED" for the purpose of NOT repeating the WHOLE PROCESS in case of Integrating HotFixes and Drivers AND "tweaks" LATER. Basically, "simulating" having a "PRE-INTEGRATED"!

1a - "Almost" PreIntegrated (using nLite or Manual - preferably nLite)

1b - Repeat nLite using 1a doing whatever your heart desires.

I already created the sp3 cd source so I have moved on. Not cutting anything from that. After adding my drivers, I want to slim it down,that's all.

2 - The EXACT "INF" depends on your Dell PC Model - you never said what it was. Each INF is for a different ChipSet. YES the ChipSet First.

Dell e1705 laptop.

3 - Try using the "Edit" button on your posts. Please don't Create Another Post One Behind The Other! You'll still get noticed. Only Create a NEW post when following ANOTHER poster's post.

Sorry.. I was going to delete it but it was to late.

4 - You CAN "Integrate" (AFAIK) just Drivers into your Dell OEM MCE2005. Just don't attempt to Integrate SP3, Hotfixes, etc. JUST the Drivers. Otherwise, you can do what you want to with the Pro Retail (non-MCE2005) but it WON'T be pre-Activated (that's an OEM/Volume License thing).

As I said before, I'm not bothering with my MCE disc.

Edited by aliceinchains

Sorry.. I was going to delete it but it was to late.

That's why he suggested you use the "Edit Post" button. It's never too late for that, you can edit it the next day or whenever. At the bottom of your post just put "EDIT: ..." and add whatever you wanted to say. If you want to change something you already posted, you can either delete and rewrite it, or strike through what you want to change and add in the new stuff. Editing your post is almost always preferred to consecutive posts.

Cheers and Regards

Here is my chipset http://tc.versiontracker.com/product/redir/lid/751606/Intel%20Chipset%20Driver%207.2.2.1006.zip

Dell e1705 ..

EDIT : Hey submix8c, I appreciate all your help, you,-X- and a few other dudes here have been a wealth of information, but don't bother looking into this, I spent some time and figured out that I don't need the 'SP' folder...

I also did my driver integration and everything worked out perfect..

Edited by aliceinchains

Here is you Laptop.

...and here is your documentation.

System chip set - Mobile Intel 945PM Express or Mobile Intel 945GM Express
The SP folder contents appear to be identical to the root folder contents (e.g. ICH5IDE.INF = ICH5ID2.INF). You just need the 945GM.INF.

BTW, the INF fileset that was provided to the Original Poster (by Ponch) is even newer than that and fits your Laptop as well (same filename as I just gave you).

Might I suggest you get your documentation to assist in obtaining the rest of your drivers? I also suggest you get the necessary Software from Dell as well (if needed).

Come back and ask for help if you need it, but please do a little work yourself first. We assist here, not hand things on a silver platter. (Not trying to be a smart-a$$, just stating fact - we get annoyed when folks don't put any effort into their own project).

Edited by submix8c

The SP folder contents appear to be identical to the root folder contents (e.g. ICH5IDE.INF = ICH5ID2.INF). You just need the 945GM.INF.

Well, this is what I was stuck on because at first glance, the one has a 2 in it, the other does not. Why intel would make a duplicate and put it in separate folder with the same stuff didn't make any sense to me which is why I was inquiring about it.

Come back and ask for help if you need it, but please do a little work yourself first. We assist here, not hand things on a silver platter. (Not trying to be a smart-a$$, just stating fact - we get annoyed when folks don't put any effort into their own project).

It was a valid question and I put effort in it.. I didn't find but one place with someone asking why intel puts the SP folder in and with no answer there too.