Using nLite on XP PRO MUI

NATO

Save you all going through the whole thread...

Solved. Finally!

As you know from the other posts I had to make an XP install CD from the installation on the C: drive. So I used the MS setup.exe on the C: drive to set up a copy on the indentical size D: partition (1st logical drive). I then booted to this partition and used the MS MUI rollback tool to remove the other languages.

(I added the three WIN files, WIN51 (Windows plus 1 space) WIN51IP (Windows plus 1 space) and WIN51IP.SP2 (No 'windows' , just the1 space).

I then made a drive image of the D: drive with Image for Windows 1.64 and extracted the files from the image to a folder on the F: partition using TBI View (Two really good software tools from TeraByte Unlimited in Las Vegas) so that I could use nLite to cut it down to size and make an ISO.

So I then formatted the D: partition (1st logical drive) and re-installed from the nLite ISO giving me XP Pro SP2 (OEM) without any unnecessary junk and practically no MUI. (Some keyboards did manage to get past this process but got picked out and deleted from the remaining MUI cache using Reg Organiser.)

As the SP3 downloaded file turned out to have corrupt .cab files, according to the Avast AV, (Previous post) I downloaded the US SP3 ISO and burned it to CDR.

I then re-installed and ran the subinactil.msi tool from MS and proceeded with the SP3 update which went in flawlessly.

(Contrary to those who claim that SP2 has to be - fully - updated - before - SP3 will install.)

I then added IE8 and all my other software archived on the F:partition, cleaned and optimised the registry, ran chkdsk, defragged the drive, and telephoned MS USA to validate the install.

1 - click later, back up and running. :-)

Just had to go online to update the AV, complete the validation, and add all the many security updates.

Made a new drive image of the, fully functional, D: drive to archive and then 'restored' it to the C: drive.

Re-booted to the C: drive edited the boot.ini file and formatted the ... 1st logical drive ... in the extended partition ... where the new install ... had been prepared.....

Login - Logoff works perfectly, as all settings are US English, even with the Belgian (Period) keyboard. (There is a Belgian (Comma) keyboard, but they are quite rare.)

I now have - NO - 'Teefer' (for NT) and 'wpsdrvnt' (Windows PS Driver NT) errors in the event viewer as there was no PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse attatched when the initial installation was done and these legacy drivers no longer appear in the hardware device manager. Hooray!

So - VERY MANY THANKS - to all of you on the Forum for your help, which has proved to be invaluable.

Hope you - ALL - have a great day.

Ian.

PS

Just - two - little things... See above.

Now my primary partition shows as Local Drive D: (System with boot files) and the ... 1st logical drive ... shows as Documents C: ... \Ö/

Checking the Event viewer reveals that MS, in its infinite wisdom, chose to re-assign the drive letters so that the 'system' (Big Brother) could keep track of things.

Arrrggg !!! I feel like Winston Smith from 1984!

Anyway, that is three up, one down, which has to be good and the entire system is much more responsive.

'Apply' is very much quicker, for example.

Also the registry is as new and very much smaller.

Tonight I will see if it is possible to re-assign the drive letters using Boot-IT NG....

Edited by NATO

It is very possible that nlite does not support MUI releases as these are normally "corporate only" and nlite is NOT for commercial use.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb688178

How can I acquire Windows MUI?

The Windows XP/2000 MUI is sold only through Volume Licensing programs such as the Microsoft Open License Program (MOLP/Open), Select, and Enterprise agreement (or with a new computer as an OEM version at customer request). It is not available through retail channels.

If it's a OEM MUI, the OEM may have introduced even more changes/whatever that may cause nlite to choke, the "subinacl" fix - if I get it right - is the one needed on some DELL :ph34r: OEM versions :

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=15138&st=29

jaclaz

give yourself 'Full Permissions' and now nLite should run without problem.

Have you really done that "without problem" or do you then run into the mess you describe further ?

PS There are two files on C:\ ... WIN51 and WIN51iP (If that is right.) (Windows plus a space as advised.)

You are obviously not starting from an original cd... are you by any chance running nLite with your running XP (whatever SP or MUI) on C:\ as source files ??? :huh:

give yourself 'Full Permissions' and now nLite should run without problem.

Have you really done that "without problem" or do you then run into the mess you describe further ?

PS There are two files on C:\ ... WIN51 and WIN51iP (If that is right.) (Windows plus a space as advised.)

You are obviously not starting from an original cd... are you by any chance running nLite with your running XP (whatever SP or MUI) on C:\ as source files ??? :huh:

Yes, I am using nLite on a running installation on C:\

I have now three files on C:\

WIN51 (Windows plus 1 space.)

WIN51IP (Windows plus 1 space.)

WIN51IP.SP2 (No 'windows' ,just the1 space.)

nLite now finally identifies the installation as XP SP2 (even though SP3 is installed and runs right up to burn .ISO when it hangs and the processor goes to 100% full use.

If I abort and then click - next - nLite reports a successful operation.

However, my anti-virus, after running a boot time scan, reports that the .cab files in the SP3 Service Pack are corrupt! Arrgg!

And it also found that a bootscreen - testingXP.exe - contained a virus. (Happily I had not yet used it.)

Thanks for your help.

Edited by NATO

First, it's unwise to nLite directly from "C:\"... Make a folder named anything (e.g. C:\nLiteXP) and put XP CD contents in that (minimum the WIN51 files in it and the complete I386 folder next) since it "collects" everything within the folder (your C DRIVE!!!) for the ISO creation.

(Ponch said...)

are you by any chance running nLite with your running XP (whatever SP or MUI) on C:\ as source files ???

Second, temporarily turn OFF you AntiVirus as it will sometimes cause problems (as you just seen) because Real-Time Scan could clobber you by checking stuff while nLite is running.

Third, nLite should never be in the same folder created above (you already knew that).

Last, just create the ISO from nLite instead of having it burn it, then burn it afterward. I find this to be much safer, especially when you may want to reduce the Burn Speed (max usually 8x)... try ImgBurn (free) for that purpose. It also allows you to "mount" the ISO in any free ISO mounter and inspect it.

First, it's unwise to nLite directly from "C:\"... Make a folder named anything (e.g. C:\nLiteXP) and put XP CD contents in that (minimum the WIN51 files in it and the complete I386 folder next) since it "collects" everything within the folder (your C DRIVE!!!) for the ISO creation.

(Ponch said...)

are you by any chance running nLite with your running XP (whatever SP or MUI) on C:\ as source files ???

Second, temporarily turn OFF your AntiVirus as it will sometimes cause problems (as you just seen) because Real-Time Scan could clobber you by checking stuff while nLite is running.

Third, nLite should never be in the same folder created above (you already knew that).

Last, just create the ISO from nLite instead of having it burn it, then burn it afterward. I find this to be much safer, especially when you may want to reduce the Burn Speed (max usually 8x)... try ImgBurn (free) for that purpose. It also allows you to "mount" the ISO in any free ISO mounter and inspect it.

Thanks I will take your advice.

1. Image the C:\ drive.

2. Uninstall - all - additional software including the Anti Virus, as I see that nLite had put it into a separate folder.

3. Uninstall SP3 as the AV reports that the CAB files are corrupt. (Only showed up on a boot time scan.)

4. Copy the bare XP SP2 install to a folder and run nLite.

5. Burn the .ISO at 8x

6. Restore the drive image to the C:\ drive.

Then I should have an XP SP2 install CD to carry out any repairs, re-install or run the recovery centre.

"Third, nLite should never be in the same folder created above (you already knew that)."

Yes I - did - know that. (Past tense!) I had totally forgotten it though. Getting too old!

Thank you very much for your constructive advice.

It is much appreciated.

Ian

submix8c -

nLite ran no problem aftert taking your advice. Thank you!

I imaged the drive to the F:\ partition and then stripped the C:\ drive installation down to the bare essentials, cleaned up the registry manually and then imaged the remaining installation.

I then opened the image and extracted everything to a folder and ran nLite using this folder leaving the three WIN files on the C:\ drive.

Perfect! I have got rid of the MUI, additional languages and keyboards, NT Backup and all the rubbish, themes, screensavers and wall papers.

Mess-enger is gone too.

Did not see any way or removing MovieMaker though.

I left the additional permissions on the C:\ drive System information file as a precaution but have now removed them.

I now have the .ISO I needed to do a fresh install with all of my settings.

You have been a great help!

Good forum!

Started over by using setup.exe to install to the, freshly formatted, D: partition (ignoring the warning about the SP3 install being newer.) and have a dual boot for a while.

Nice clean install with a perfect registry, just added the I386 folder and the three WIN files, as above.

Had to give myself permissions to copy the new install with its System Volume Information to a folder on F: and then ran nLite again and got a 2.2 GB .ISO with no bloatware included.

Good as new.

Perfect!

Thanks again.

Ian