Win 98 SE DOS boot floppy including "edit.com"

Alb

Hello,

I want to install a more modern motherboard (asrock 4coredual-sata2 r2.0) on my daughter's old PC (running Win 98 SE), so I read this topic: as in that mobo you can install 2 GB of RAM. The author of that topic suggests you to make use of a DOS boot floppy including the file "edit.com". So, as my Win 98 SE DOS boot floppy does not include "edit.com" I tried to copy this file in it but I couldn't due to lack of space (DOS boot floppy=1.33 MB, 48.640 bytes available. edit.com=70 KB).

Could you suggest me a way (a workaround) to do that?

Best Regards

Copy the file to a second floppy, boot from the 98 SE DOS boot floppy, remove that floppy, install the one with edit.com on it and you can then run it. The boot floppy does not have to be installed in the system - it can be removed so that a program on a second floppy can be executed.

Hello,

So, as my Win 98 SE DOS boot floppy does not include "edit.com" I tried to copy this file in it but I couldn't due to lack of space (DOS boot floppy=1.33 MB, 48.640 bytes available. edit.com=70 KB).

Could you suggest me a way (a workaround) to do that?

Best Regards

Assuming this is the stock boot disk created out of Windows 98, doesn't it usually already have some form of edit that exists somewhere (if not on the floppy drive itself, on the stuff it copies over to the ram drive)? Otherwise, a second floppy drive with the file is useful.

I should point out that custom disks with only essential files are usually the best way to go, in the sense that you can get the space to load a lot of other things.

In the standard win98 se dos disk, edit.com is in ebd.cab. You're supposed to unpack this into a ram disk and run edit from there.

Alternately, you could use t.exe (tinyedit), which is only 9k.