Help With Router For Cable Modem

Hi guys.

I recently got a cable modem. It is Netgear CBC-382d1. It has one ethernet port and no wireless.

I have 3 laptops (one will be using ethernet not wireless), 2 iphones, 1 ipad and a PS3 that needs to go online. All but one laptop are wireless.

Which 300 Mbps wireless 4 port ethernet router do you recommend me?

There are various different brands that might just be fine. I currently have 2 different WLAN routers, so I can give you these with my experiences.

1. Linksys Dual Band G/N: Works as expected, but certain port triggers can cause a hard reset automatically. This behaviour was also experienced with other routers, so I have no real fix for it. An example of getting a hard reset is to attempt to connect to the Quake 3 Master Server, if/when it is even up.

2. D-Link BGN: Stock level has same port triggering reset issue as the Linksys. Using custom firmware (DD-WRT) fixed that problem. G was fine but N speeds were flakey at best.

As far as other types go. you are best bet to look at reviews or ratings on a site like Newegg. Popular rated products are going to be the most dependable. I'd recommend a dual band router if you can afford it.

I was actually wondering if there's a difference between routers compatible with cable modems and routers compatible with adsl modems. I did not want to buy a adsl router. But now I see that there's no such difference and certainly no "adsl router"

I looked around your suggestions and finally decided on Linksys E3200 router. I will be setting it up tomorrow night. So I do not know how the performance will be at least it has 4 gigabit ethernet ports, 300 mbps dual band N-wifi , WAN and USB interface.

Thank you guys..

Some routers are "sold" as being more compatible with certain things than others. What that actually means, I do not know. I haven't seen a mainstream router that didn't support PPPoE, for example. But it is possible that some are DSL or Cable specific, in that they may have connections for those services. As an example, most ISPs do offer a router/modem combo unit for a price with their service, which is what I expect those particular routers are. Either that or they just have that as a marketing name so people with those services are more likely to buy them.

But in all honesty, if your ISP modem has an ethernet port, and the router has an ethernet WAN port, then that is all you need.

• 3 weeks later...

Some routers are "sold" as being more compatible with certain things than others. What that actually means, I do not know. I haven't seen a mainstream router that didn't support PPPoE, for example. But it is possible that some are DSL or Cable specific, in that they may have connections for those services. As an example, most ISPs do offer a router/modem combo unit for a price with their service, which is what I expect those particular routers are. Either that or they just have that as a marketing name so people with those services are more likely to buy them.

But in all honesty, if your ISP modem has an ethernet port, and the router has an ethernet WAN port, then that is all you need.

Thank you very much. I bought a Linksys E3200 and very happy with it..