What method is working today for extreme removal of Windows 7 Ultimate

Cr4z33

I am also looking into making a lite 7 x64 sp1, I've already spent a couple of days trying to figure out what method to use and which guide to follow, so far no go, you may have better luck if you give up SP1 and use RTM(SP0), it seems to be better supported in vlite and there appear to be more batch-based removal procedures for RTM than for SP1, they seem to rely on vlite nonetheless, I think the best would be to combine all three extreme batch removal topics (if that is even possible) to make a super-lite 7, I am willing to give up SP1 (and all future SPs) for a super-lite edition, if only I knew for sure that it would work (I suppose I should start with getting at least one of these projects to function xD)

Edited by monohouse

OK... vLite was never actually intended for Win7, it was for Vista. It just so happened that Win7-RTM worked. With the advent of SP1, some things "changed" and it no longer functioned. Don't bother to ask for an "update" to vLite as Nuhi no longer updates it and never will... Period! (Nuhi has "moved on" to a permanent job elsewhere and does not respond to emails/messaging.)

I have seen some references to what's called RT7-Lite which may/may-not work(?).

HTH and Good luck!

vLite CAN be used successfully on Win7 SP1 - http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/133491-windows-7-keep-list/page__st__140__p__995141#entry995141

You can definitely use vLite on Windows 7 successfully. To make vLite play nice you'd have to sysprep a VM install of Win7 SP0 upon which you install SP1. After performing sysprep you can then capture the image via Imagex (I create the VM as a VHD using VirtualBox, so one can directly mount the VHD and do the capture via Imagex). You can then mount the captured image (the install.wim) and remove the SP1 backup files. Then you export the image (basically a re-save) to make it even smaller and you have your Win7 SP1 that can be used with vLite (whereas Win7 SP1 official cannot be used with vLite).

I know several people who have done it. I personally have not, but that's because I do not slim my OS install.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

nice tool, thanks, not all that big when it comes to removal but it leaves a fully functional image even with everything removed, it's an extra weapon in the arsenal :)

I have made some progress making a lite RTM version, got it down to about 4GB so far, vlite 1.2 doesn't work for me so I am using 1.1.6 which is much more functional and stable, with the help of dead0's bat's the winsxs is down to about 1 GB

Edited by monohouse

• 2 months later...