Is there an autopatcher for 2000?

SP4 is from 2003, UR1 is from 2005. Don't look at those dates on the M$ site.

You can't install OnePiece's pack in a running system! so the best way for you to update your system is to run Windows Update, install everything from there and then install UURollup.

This is confusing. MS 2000 SP4 says: Date published: 2/26/2009 and the Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 says: Date published: 9/13/2005. So, the MS RollUp for SP4 is dated 4 years prior to the release of SP4?! I was hoping the release date would make it easier selecting the files I needed from the site you mentioned but no such luck.
(sigh...) If you look at the linked website under the column "Date" you'll find the REAL date. Do NOT trust MS "Date Published". Direct download (with FlashGet, which retains the FILE's Date) reveals

SP4=06/20/2003

and the

Rollup=08/16/2005.

1 - Download and Install FlashGet (FREE)

2 - Click the links to the "fixes" you want within the above link (bristols)

3 - Click "Download" and CANCEL it (STAY ON THE "THANK YOU" PAGE)

4 - In the "Thank You" page is another link ("if your download does not start...)

4a - RIGHT-CLICK and "Download Using FlashGet" (there will be a "where to download" as well)

Voila! The REAL Date!

IOW. the "Date Published" has NO correlation to the actual File Date!

P.S. You're mixing OnePiece with tomasz86 Rollups - they are DIFFERENT! Tomasz86 is suggesting using HIS! You are the one bringing up OnePiece (an entirely different person and project).

PLEASE just TRUST us!

I think he's bringing up both OnePiece with tomasz86 because he probably wants it ALL, and up to date, in as few pieces as possible. (As do I :) ) And actually, tomasz86 also mentioned how to add OnePiece's pack up in post #5. Unfortunately for him, and me, no such combination exists yet. I have high hopes that tomasz86 will be able to complete USP5.2 and add in the extras that are in OnePiece's pack as well, or produce a companion pack with those items. Well, I can dream can't I? In the meantime, if the OP follows the instructions in post #5 EXACTLY, he should be fine.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Are you sure you did EVERYTHING exactly as stated in #5? :unsure:

If you don't want to mess with many files you can just integrate OnePiece's Updates Pack and then install UURollup-v9b. This way you'll have all official updates, some HBRs and almost all unofficial updates.

If you've already installed the system then running Windows Update, letting it install everything and installing UURollup-v9b later is the simplest way to have your system updated.

No, I'm not 100% sure I did it right (novice here). That's why I said it may have been caused by a "user error" / me screwing up. :) The WU site says: "Get the latest Windows Update software. We've made improvements to our website. To download the new version of the software and begin using Windows Update, please click Install Now". Is this "update software" compatible with 2000?

That would be the "Windows Update Agent" (AFAIK). Support for Win2K has been dropped, just like Win9x.

This used to claim Windows 2000 but no longer does. I assume you're attempting to verify that you have all Fixes installed?

edit - This one, however does...

And it is listed on the "bristols" link. :o

Edited by submix8c

It looks like I missed a few posts here.

SP4 is from 2003, UR1 is from 2005. Don't look at those dates on the M$ site.

You can't install OnePiece's pack in a running system! so the best way for you to update your system is to run Windows Update, install everything from there and then install UURollup.

Okay. Thank you for the clarification tomasz.

(sigh...) If you look at the linked website under the column "Date" you'll find the REAL date. Do NOT trust MS "Date Published". Direct download (with FlashGet, which retains the FILE's Date) reveals

SP4=06/20/2003

and the

Rollup=08/16/2005.

1 - Download and Install FlashGet (FREE)

2 - Click the links to the "fixes" you want within the above link (bristols)

3 - Click "Download" and CANCEL it (STAY ON THE "THANK YOU" PAGE)

4 - In the "Thank You" page is another link ("if your download does not start...)

4a - RIGHT-CLICK and "Download Using FlashGet" (there will be a "where to download" as well)

Voila! The REAL Date!

IOW. the "Date Published" has NO correlation to the actual File Date!

P.S. You're mixing OnePiece with tomasz86 Rollups - they are DIFFERENT! Tomasz86 is suggesting using HIS! You are the one bringing up OnePiece (an entirely different person and project).

PLEASE just TRUST us!

I'll be sure to give that a go if the WU doesn't work. Re: OnePiece and tomasz rollups, yes I know they are different. Sorry if my posts were confusing or misleading. I appreciate the help.

I think he's bringing up both OnePiece with tomasz86 because he probably wants it ALL, and up to date, in as few pieces as possible.

Yes, that pretty much sums it up. I just get easily confused (or confuse others) when it comes to these things.

re: WU - go to my previous post (the one before yours above).

Side note: I don't believe you'll get "everything in one whack" as far as a "Pack". Don't attempt to "overlap" between different authors' Update Packs. It will hose your installation. Stick with OnePiece, tomasz86, or manually via "bristols link". Best bet, try one, go to WU and "list" missing; try the other, go to WU and "list" - then compare. Get missing from "bristols". Make "Final" go to WU and check again.

You DO realize you're beating yourself up, don't you? Try tomasz86' method - he's usually right AND developing a brand spanky new pack, so he should know. ;)

Edited by submix8c

Just a quick note - WU works perfectly fine so don't worry. There are just no more updates for W2K anymore.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with mixing OnePiece's pack with UURollup :) You just have to slipstream UURollup using HFSLIP and then use nLite/RVMi to integrate OnePiece's Pack. Of course all this applies to slipstreaming, not manual installation.

Edited by tomasz86

You were right tomasz, the WU worked perfectly. I had a look at your UURollup thread and there's an update section at the bottom which lists Windows2000-UU-HBR-KB950305-KB977225-x86-ENU. What type of add on is that? Also, I had a look at the Last Versions thread but noticed the last update was in 2009. I'd like to get the latest 2K compatible versions of Adobe Flash Player, Opera, Firefox, Avast, Msn etc but it doesn't list the version numbers. I know some of them are listed under "ongoing" but I don't know if I need any unofficial add ons to make them work or if they'll work with the current official updates I have now.

KB950305-KB977225 is one of the updates/hotfixes which are not included in UURollup. They are not included because they cannot be slipstreamed directly (from HF folder in HFSLIP) and are available separately. On the W2K Updates List there are more such updates available (search for SW1 and SW2). Most of them are minor stuff but there are a few more important ones too. You may install them separately if you want.

As for the W2K compatible applications, I've been maintaining my own list but it's still very short at the moment. The ones you mentioned above (Flash Player, Opera, Firefox, Avast) all work fine although you need UURollup to install the newest Flash Player (I don't remember which exact DLL is necessary). The last version of MSN Messenger working in W2K was 7.x but you can always use aMSN. Windows Live Messenger is a bloatware anyway :lol:

I had a problem when I installed Avast 7. It seemed to install okay but then said it had encountered errors with windows and made a log of it. Anyway, I rebooted and it seems to be working fine. I can't find the log though. Do you have any idea where it's located? Is this a common problem or did this happen because I haven't installed the KB950305-KB977225 and bristols files yet?

KB950305-KB977225 has certainly nothing to do with Avast so I don't really know why you got an error after installation. Still, if it runs fine after reboot then you probably oughtn't to worry too much.

As for the updates listed by bristols, you've already have most of them installed because you used WU (all official updates) and installed UURollup (almost all unofficial updates). You may only want to install HBRs (hotfixes by request) but downloading them one by one can be a real pain, and all unofficial updates listed for the "\SW1" folder because they are not included in the UURollup.

For some reason Avast 7 made browsing laggy (especially when watching videos), so I'm thinking about trying another AV. Are Malware Bytes and Clamwin the only other options with ongoing support? Also, what version of flash should I go for? I went with v11.1.202.55 because I read somewhere on here that it was the most stable. Should I go higher or go for something like 10.2? (bearing in mind I don't have "every* unofficial 2000 update). Lastly, I just got a pop up from Firefox saying I need to update my OS (a day after installing v12). Again, is this because I need the other 2k updates or has FF finally pulled support for 2k? Sorry for the barrage of questions. You've been very helpful, so I hope you guys can help me out a little more here.

1) You may try to disable the Web scanner in Avast options. It usually has negative impact on the speed of Web browsing.

2) I just use the newest version of Flash Player.

I'd like to get the updates for UURollUp and the files you mentioned from the Bristols site before I start adding new anti-virus programs etc. I know you said you have the latest versions of flash but I'm assuming you also have every possible update to make newer versions compatible with 2000, so they all work without any glitches (that and the fact that you know exactly what you're doing :) ).

I had a look the other forum where the downloads are linked to but you have even more updates listed there. I know this is a big ask but could you list the remaining UURollUp and SW1/2 updates that I need? I only ask because you said "some" of them are important and I simply don't know which is which. If there's only a handful that I need which are important that would be very helpful.