Is there an autopatcher for 2000?

I was thinking of installing 2000 on another machine but I haven't used 2000 before and I can't connect to the net with it to download the windows updates (if they're even still available). What I need is an autopatcher of sorts that includes SP4, that I can burn to a disk and install after I've installed the main OS. Does such a patch exist? I have one for 98se but I couldn't find anything for 2000.

Unfortunately there's no such a package available (at least not yet :whistle:). If you want to have a fully updated system and you can't use Windows Update then the best way to do it is to slipstream everything into your source before installation. If you decide the use unofficial updates then the easiest way to slipstream all of them is to use UURollup (see the link in my signature). In case of the official ones you need to download them one by one...

The current list of W2K updates is available here.

If you don't feel like downloading ~300 updates then you can use Onepiece's Windows 2000 postSP4 Update Pack. It's very comprehensive but doesn't contain any unofficial updates and lacks most of the HBRs (hotfixes by request; the ones with yellow background present on the updates list mentioned above).

Edited by tomasz86

"windows 2000 support ends july 13 2010"

The last (AFAIK) one available was Nov2009; I have August2009. Many links were "broken" and the MD5's were incorrect. Nobody there kept it up to date.

At AutoPatcherDOTcom there is a thread suggesting a possible solution using the ITA version, but very time consuming and error-prone.

Best bet is to use what was suggested above.

Thanks for the quick response!

Okay, so let me see if I've got this in the right order.

1) Download MS SP4 and MS Update Rollup 1 from MS.

2) Then get Onepiece's Windows 2000 postSP4 Update Pack which contain the most of the updates after SP4.

3) Get the remaining official MS updates from the HTSLIP site.

4) Finally, get your RollUp containing the unofficial stuff.

I'm not that tech savvy, so this slipstream process sounds tricky. Can I just download and burn everything to a cd and install them that way? One other question, I have a laptop with 2000 and SP4, can I just export everything from the laptop to the PC via something like Nortons Ghost?

N.B. I was having a senior moment before when I said I've never used 2000. I have it on a laptop that was given to me, but not the cd (which I'm in the process of getting) and have hardly used it.

You can transfer your Windows from the laptop to the PC but it's a very unrecommended option, especially if they use different SATA controllers. On the other hand, my own system has already survived three mainboard changes so... I must say that yes, it's possible :sneaky:

I'd recommend slipstreaming though. It's pretty simple in your case. I'm assuming you want to have ALL updates and hotfixes (both official and unofficial) and ALL other components like Silverlight, .NET Framework, etc. This is the simplest way to have EVERYTHING slipstreamed:

1) Download HFSLIP with all tools listed there.

2) Copy the "i386" folder and the three files "CDROM_IP.5", "CDROM_NT.5" & "CDROMSP4.TST" from your W2K Pro SP4 CD to HFSLIP's "SOURCE" folder.

3) Put the following files in your HFSLIP folders:

- Windows2000-UpdateRollup2-BETA-x86-ENU.exe (HF)

- Windows2000-UURollup-v9b-x86-ENU.exe (HF)

- all IE6/OE6 unofficial updates (green background) and HBRs (yellow background) listed here (folders differ)

- DirectX 9.0c Full Pack (skip the "KB935839-v5a" mentioned there) and 2631813 (both to HF)

- all MDAC 2.8 unofficial updates listed here and MDAC281-KB983838-x86-ENU.exe (all to HF)

- all WMP unofficial updates listed here (HF)

- "UPHClean-Setup.msi" & "rootsupd.exe" from the Other Programs table (folders differ)

4) In the HFSVCPACK_SW1 folder put:

Windows2000-KB829884-x86-Global.exe

Windows2000-KB896414-x86-ENU.EXE

Windows2000-XP-2003-MSRDP52-x86-ENU.exe

Windows2000-UU-KBz2603381-x86-Global.exe

Windows2000-UU-KB914783-KB974266-x86-ENU.exe

Windows Powershell 1.0 (Windows2000-UU-KB926139-v2-x86-ENU.exe)

5) Create a folder called "HFAAO" and put all addons listed here in it. Use short filenames for .NET Framework, ex. "NETFX40.cab" for .NET Framework 4.0, etc.

6) Run HFSLIP and wait until it's finished.

7) Run nLite and use it to integrate OnePiece's Update pack. You may also want to disable Windows File Protection (SFC) because unofficial updates break it anyway.

8) Create an ISO with nLite and burn it.

9) Install Windows 2000 from the CD.

I hope I've not missed anything :angel

Edited by tomasz86

Thanks tomasz86 for spelling everything out. But I, and I'm sure others, can hardly wait until you are able to include all the above, or as much as possible, into a single updated SP5.2, or at least as few pieces as possible. I think you are right that those who still wish to use Win2K these days either want to have ALL updates and hotfixes (both official and unofficial) and ALL other components like Silverlight, .NET Framework, etc, ie EVERYTHING slipstreamed, or they want a minimal FDV files approach.

Cheers and Regards

Just a note...

If you have a non-SP4 Win2k, you'll need in step#2 above to make a step#2a (one between step#2 and step#3) for slipping the SP4 into it. HFSLIP can do that as well AFAICR.

BTW, either HFSLIP or nLite can do all of the above (AFAIK), but stick with the method given.

@bphlpt

I've been trying to reduce the number of packages as much as possible but it's not easy ;) and USP 5.2 is still far far away.

@submix8c

HFSLIP can't integrate OnePiece's Update Pack. Before I'd thought it could but I tried some time ago and errors occured during the integration process. It's too complicated for HFSLIP. On the other hand nLite won't integrate directly updates that add new files to the Windows source, ex. UURollup.

Edited by tomasz86

Autopatcher was killed off by Microsoft's genuine software thingie.
Nuh-uh... Not "killed". They had to rewrite it to download direct from MS instead of using "stored fixes" (in violation of... ). There is simply nobody who cares to bother with 2K there anymore. Any takers? Go there and learn the "ropes" and update the Scripts. Personally, I'm satisfied with what we have access to here...

Side note - be glad to supply the "last known (to me at least) list of "fixes" valid for Win2K. Haven't bothered with it since then but plan to in future for an old HP Server box...

Update: I tried what Tomasz suggested but whether it was down to user error or something else, it wouldn't install properly. I ended up formatting the drive and installed 2000 without any unofficial patches, which worked. Then I finally got the internet working and installed SP4 and the MS RollUp from the MS site.

I assume since MS stopped support for 2000 2 years ago Windows Update is no longer an option. I got directed to an update page that prompted me to install a "new" updater / installer. I wasn't sure if that would work for 2000, so I left it.

Does "Onepiece's Windows 2000 postSP4 Update Pack" contain any updates that would conflict the official MS post SP4 RollUp? Should the order of installation be: SP4, MS RollUp and Onepiece's Pack OR SP4 and then install Onepiece's pack? I plan on installing Tomasz' unofficial UURollUp patch last. I just want to get the system updated with the "official" fixes first.

<snip> USP 5.2 is still far far away.

<snip>HFSLIP can't integrate OnePiece's Update Pack. Before I'd thought it could but I tried some time ago and errors occured during the integration process. It's too complicated for HFSLIP. On the other hand nLite won't integrate directly updates that add new files to the Windows source, ex. UURollup.

Update: I tried what Tomasz suggested but whether it was down to user error or something else, it wouldn't install properly.

...or do you mean his Post#5? (Hmmm, tomasz86 is usually correct...)
I ended up formatting the drive and installed 2000 without any unofficial patches, which worked.
Go this route if you're having problems (read it thoroughly). Using this, I believe either HFSLIP or nLite could be used. :unsure:

BTW, if you download Fixes using a Downloader (e.g. Flashget and get the links AFTER canceling the Download and use Direct Link), you can "sort" the Fixes in nLite to ensure Install Order according to oldest->newest.

Normally, I tend to "shy away" from Update Packs (again, read the provided link).

edit - And since you already reinstalled, might I suggest that you "split" your HDD and do another install (the same way, or get a utility to "shrink" it, e.g. Gparted Live ISO burned to CD and booted to). That way you can "test" your SlipStreams (however you do it) on the second (to be defined) Primary Partition.

Edited by submix8c

Are you sure you did EVERYTHING exactly as stated in #5? :unsure:

If you don't want to mess with many files you can just integrate OnePiece's Updates Pack and then install UURollup-v9b. This way you'll have all official updates, some HBRs and almost all unofficial updates.

If you've already installed the system then running Windows Update, letting it install everything and installing UURollup-v9b later is the simplest way to have your system updated.

This is confusing. MS 2000 SP4 says: Date published: 2/26/2009 and the Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 says: Date published: 9/13/2005. So, the MS RollUp for SP4 is dated 4 years prior to the release of SP4?! I was hoping the release date would make it easier selecting the files I needed from the site you mentioned but no such luck.

I went through the OnePiece patch thread and found the following on page six:

Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:24 am

Hello,

can i use Windows 2000 SP4 ISO or do i need win 2000 SP4 With Rollupack (KB891861) ??

to use with this update pack ???

Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:28 am

rulluppack is included!

Would I be able to still use his patch or would it corrupt my system since I already have MS SP4 RollUp installed?