(FIXED + SOLVED) The NTKERN.VXD, MMDEVLDR.VXD device loader(s)

PROBLEMCHYLD

I installed Service Pack 3 on a Dell Latitude C610, which has a Crystal sound card.

After installing the service pack I lose sound.

Under device manager I get the following error message,

The NTKERN.VXD, MMDEVLDR.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver (Code 2)

I have a Canon USB printer which had been working perfectly. I downloaded and installed the Unofficial Service Pack updates. When I restarted, I got a "new hardware" window and it wanted to install the printer. I said okay and it went through the motions. However, the printer wouldn't work. I uninstalled the printer from the device manager and the software from add/remove programs. I reinstalled the drivers, turned the printer on, new device recognized, but when it went to make a connection, none was made. I went into device manager, found the reliable yellow problem marker, clicked on properties and got a "NTKERN.VXD" could not load driver" message. I have tried everything out there including reloading windows 98SE. To no avail. Any advice?

Although this was related to the earlier service packs, I am having a similar problem, only it is not USB related.

Deleting drivers, etc is not working.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Hmmm - same problem but no solution given.

Searching...

edit - Got a "chipset" value to search on? ARRG!!! NM... it's a Laptop... Can you find the Ven/Dev in the Registry? (may help...)

edit2 - found the specs

Audio

Audio Type – AC97 (Soft Audio)

Audio controller – ICH3, Cirrus Logic SC4205

...and I believe this actually should be "CS4205" (a misprint?)

Try here (and have no clue what you already have installed...)

Edited by submix8c

Thanks for helping. I already have Crystal CS4205 v.6.13.10.4159 installed. Everything works fine until I install any version of the

Service Pack. Crystal CS4205 v.6.13.10.4159 drivers are the ones that came with the system. Once I install SP then I lose sound and get the ntkern.vxd error.

I have a feeling this is an example of where the "latest" available files may not necessarily be the "best" available files. :whistle:

See this quote from MDGx regarding Q242937 / 269601USA8.EXE:

Microsoft Windows 98 SE WDM/USB Audio Driver WDMAUD.DRV 4.10.2223, KMIXER.SYS 4.10.2223, PORTCLS.SYS 4.10.2223, SBEMUL.SYS 4.10.2223, SYSAUDIO.SYS 4.10.2223, USBAUDIO.SYS 4.10.2224 + WDMAUD.SYS 4.10.2226 Fix:

Direct download [374 KB, English].

MUST install current Drivers for your particular WDM/USB Audio device BEFORE installing this Fix!

Example:

Crystal sound cards require Driver 6.13.10.4140. OLDer ones do NOT work!

I'll wager that you have included that HotFix in your USP. Try rolling back the versions of those files to the 98SE originals.

I have a feeling this is an example of where the "latest" available files may not necessarily be the "best" available files. :whistle:

You are right, but it only causes problems with Crystal Sound Cards.
I'll wager that you have included that HotFix in your USP. Try rolling back the versions of those files to the 98SE originals.
I have replaced the files below with the original Win98SE files and my sound is back.

KMIXER.SYS 4.10.2223

PORTCLS.SYS 4.10.2223

SBEMUL.SYS 4.10.2223

SYSAUDIO.SYS 4.10.2223

WDMAUD.DRV 4.10.2223

WDMAUD.SYS 4.10.2226

Some people recommend using CWAWDM.SYS 6.13.10.4140, but since neither CWAWDM.SYS 6.13.10.4140/6.13.10.4159

works with the newer .SYS files, I think I'll stick with V6.13.10.4159. Thank you very much LoneCrusader/submix8c

You are right, but it only causes problems with Crystal Sound Cards.

I have replaced the files below with the original Win98SE files and my sound is back.

KMIXER.SYS 4.10.2223

PORTCLS.SYS 4.10.2223

SBEMUL.SYS 4.10.2223

SYSAUDIO.SYS 4.10.2223

WDMAUD.DRV 4.10.2223

WDMAUD.SYS 4.10.2226

Some people recommend using CWAWDM.SYS 6.13.10.4140, but since neither CWAWDM.SYS 6.13.10.4140/6.13.10.4159

works with the newer .SYS files, I think I'll stick with V6.13.10.4159. Thank you very much LoneCrusader/submix8c

No problem, glad you have solved the issue. :thumbup

Did you happen to test whether or not a specific one of those files causes this, or did you just replace them all at once?

I actually need to try and find a system to run some tests of my own on this scenario. :unsure:

I went ahead and slipstreamed those files in my slipstream project, but I hadn't had any issues as I don't have that particular hardware.

I wonder, if this issue only presents itself if you UPDATE the files, or whether it still surfaces if those files were ALREADY present when the driver was first installed... :unsure:

Did you happen to test whether or not a specific one of those files causes this, or did you just replace them all at once?

Yes, tested every single file. You must replace all files because they coincide with each other. :realmad:

I wonder, if this issue only presents itself if you UPDATE the files, or whether it still surfaces if those files were ALREADY present when the driver was first installed... :unsure:

I did a clean install, installed all the drivers except the sound card. Then I installed SP3, and then the sound card.

Everything worked fine. No need to downgrade the files now. Thank you sooo mucccccccch LoneCrusader :thumbup

I did a clean install, installed all the drivers except the sound card. Then I installed SP3, and then the sound card.

Everything worked fine. No need to downgrade the files now. Thank you sooo mucccccccch LoneCrusader :thumbup

:blink:

Wow... I was just shooting in the dark with that. Almost didn't post it, I figured people would think it most illogical. :angel

Anyhow, you're welcome! :thumbup

I guess that's kind of the same concept as removing all the USB devices and installing them back one at a time once all the updated files are in place. Seems to make sense if you think about it that way.

Cheers and Regards

• 2 months later...

WinME version of the files (DOES NOT) work :(

don't use them on 98se. the ME versions of the six SYS/DRV files you mentioned earlier aren't compatible with win98se and won't resolve your problem.

don't use them on 98se. the ME versions of the six SYS/DRV files you mentioned earlier aren't compatible with win98se and won't resolve your problem.

Actually the WinME files does work, as they are of part of 98SE2ME. Those drivers works with other sound cards, just not with the Crystal SC.