Hardware Profiles as relating to Services

iamtheky

So these keys are all the same on both my Server 2008 R1 and Server 2008 R2:

HKLM\System\ControlSet001\Control\IDconfigDB\Hardware Profiles\*

HKLM\System\ControlSet002\Control\IDconfigDB\Hardware Profiles\*

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\IDconfigDB\Hardware Profiles\*

These contain an 'unknown' and an 'undocked' profile. The 'unknown' profile is not visible anywhere else on either build.

On R1 I see the 'undocked' profile on the 'log on' tab of all service properties, on R2 the entire Hardware Profiles section of the 'log on' tab is missing (just a blank bottom half under the log on criteria). I have been reading that the whole Hardware Profiles thing is automated since Vista (and somewhat deprecated) now, just wondering if anyone can clarify if the behavior is anomalous, or just a hidden gem of jumping R1 to R2. I am sure its not an issue, just a discrepancy when comparing.... and it looks odd to see 'undocked' profiles on servers.

Edited by iamtheky

I bet there was something leftover from the desktop part of the OS. Undocked makes me think it is related to the older profiles that were for Notebooks on docking stations. Since MS doesn't support Server OS on a notebook, makes sense to remove it!

Although, the last training I went to, they had Server on a notebook for a demonstration. :lol:

I concur, now more wondering if there is any functionality attached to the GUI in R1, but since the hardware profiles are magic now I believe I am going to have to create one manually on svr03 and import those keys.......or make the R1 think its docked. If setting services to individual hardware profiles is a capability in R1, is this deprecated in R2? Or is just the GUI portion (on the log on tab) removed since there is not a likelihood of multiple hardware profiles existing on a server OS?

Edited by iamtheky

I hope you're just joking, because otherwise that is uncalled for. You could always post your question directly on the MS forums if you want to ask them directly.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

well since they only link to technet, and are a product of the springboard technet rollout (and dont exactly have the best reputation, though it is improving), i think it was spot on.

And if the smiley at the end didnt help you to realize it was in jest, then i suppose you will miss sarcasm and hyperbole as well.

Cheers and Regards

And if the smiley at the end didnt help you to realize it was in jest, then i suppose you will miss sarcasm and hyperbole as well.

Cheers and Regards

Yes the smiley helps for that, however the entire post was likely unnecessary.