PCI Express cards for Windows 98

petekeller

The best option for getting PCI Express video cards to work on Wndows 98 appears to be

the Nvidia 6000 series, either using the 77.72 driver or the 81.98 (shutdown problem).

These cards have not been manufactured for some years. However 'new old stock' cards

sometmes show up on E-bay. Some new GeForce 6600 pci-e crds are up for sale right now

at a very low price.

If anyone on this board is interested, here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item231c66198f

Well. I found significant problems with DOS applications, when using GeForce 6600 cards. Apparently Ati x600 works much better in this particular area.

Also, there are significant issues with GeForce 6200, depending on the card version. The ones with Turbo cache function will not work well, for sure.

I have not used these cards in while. But I remember ATI X550 lacking support for high resolution VESA modes. On the other hand, nVidia 6200 with 128 Megs of RAM, had it. There may have been other issues with the nVidia card, which may have revealed themselves later on, though.

The best option for getting PCI Express video cards to work on Wndows 98 appears to be

the Nvidia 6000 series, either using the 77.72 driver or the 81.98 (shutdown problem).

These cards have not been manufactured for some years. However 'new old stock' cards

sometmes show up on E-bay. Some new GeForce 6600 pci-e crds are up for sale right now

at a very low price.

If anyone on this board is interested, here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item231c66198f

Sorry but I do not see point in this ?

If you buy Nvidia 6x00 card for Windows 98 you will buy AGP card with official 100 % support for Win 98.

If you do not have MBO with AGP socket you will buy much stronger video card and then use user made drivers which will work OK (with little luck).

My thinking is OK ??

No, it is not.

There are quite a lot of problems with PCI-E Nvidia 6x00 cards. The official drivers do have just partial support for these cards. On the other hand the AGP versions are working much better.

What do you mean by user made drivers? The unofficial driver releases in most cases do not solve the shutdown problems, or DOS application compatibility issues.