mp4 File issues

frogman

I downloaded a small mp4 file and neither QT or windows media 9 series will play the video, it plays the sound ok though.

I downloaded WM9Codecs9x but this hasn't helped, is there any way of fixing this?

I don't really want to download any more players if at all possible.

I am assuming that you're using Windows 98. There is only one video decoder needed for nearly every format out there, ffdshow.

Haali Media Splitter 2007-06-03 (MP4, MKV, AVI, MPEG)

ffdshow_beta5_rev2033_20080705_clsid.exe

Try an older build if this doesn't work for you, but it should. This decoder will even play old QuickTime Sorenson-encoded MP4/MOV streams. Format support for every stream type can be enabled or disabled, make sure the relevant H.264, SV**, XviD are ticked. ffdshow can also do audio.

Media Info can be used to analyze your file, and determine the formats of each stream in it.

I am assuming that you're using Windows 98. There is only one video decoder needed for nearly every format out there, ffdshow.

Haali Media Splitter 2007-06-03 (MP4, MKV, AVI, MPEG)

ffdshow_beta5_rev2033_20080705_clsid.exe

Try an older build if this doesn't work for you, but it should. This decoder will even play old QuickTime Sorenson-encoded MP4/MOV streams. Format support for every stream type can be enabled or disabled, make sure the relevant H.264, SV**, XviD are ticked. ffdshow can also do audio.

Media Info can be used to analyze your file, and determine the formats of each stream in it.

Will try this thanks. :)

Edited by frogman

I downloaded both files and have now got the mp4 to play, I think the issue was the QT, and I deselected the mpeg4 from the QT mime, and it appears to have helped as the icon for the mp4 turned to Nero ShowTime File, and it also plays on the windows media player.

I take it that both files are required to play these mp4 files now? splitter and ffdshow.

The Haali Media Splitter is just sitting with no icon association, and I am unsure if I need to do anything with it to actually install this, you think it may not have downloaded correctly?

I tried it again and it's still the same.

The version is 1.7.189.11

Not sure if I really need this but curious as to what to open it with?

Edited by frogman

I have since downloaded another version of the Haali Media Splitter, version called MatroskaSplitter-03032011, it is version 1.11.96.14.

I haven't installed this splitter yet, but I am wondering if I really need to being that I can actually now play the mp4 files, I won't install this unless I need to, any advice please?

Try using Gom Player - the latest version works on Win98se without even needing Kernelex (although I do have Kex on my system) and it plays any video file (avi, wmv, mp4, flv, mkv, whatever) with very good quality without any external codecs required.

Try using Gom Player - the latest version works on Win98se without even needing Kernelex (although I do have Kex on my system) and it plays any video file (avi, wmv, mp4, flv, mkv, whatever) with very good quality without any external codecs required.

Thanks, I have just tried this, although I still see the ffdshow audio encoder in ths system tray when using the GOM player, I wouldn't have thought it is because I have the ffdshow already installed on my system would it?

I suppose the only way to know would be to remove/un-install the ffdshow, then see if it still loads in the system tray when attempting to use the GOM player.

By the way, which play setting do you use? I had it as normal priority, but I noticed the video was slightly stop and start on playback, I have since changed it to high quality and it plays fine now.

??? All you needed for WMP was the Codecs... (In addition to UN-setting QT playing them - btw "Open With" should have allowed ANY valid Player for any given TYPE to play, providing the Codecs are installed.)

Google -"Media Player 9" MP4- would have told you that...

edit - FFDSHOW installs (AFAIK) the Codecs, BTW...

Edited by submix8c

??? All you needed for WMP was the Codecs...

Well I had already downloaded WM9Codecs9x version 10.00.00.3619 as I had already explained, and it didn't help WMP9 to play the video, the audio played, but that was before I installed any codecs.

Anyhow, I have removed that GOM player as I found that I was more than happy with either WMP or Nero Showtime playing those mp4 files.

The only time that WMP played both the audio and video of mp4 was after I had installed FFDSHOW.

Edited by frogman

Well I had already downloaded WM9Codecs9x version 10.00.00.3619 as I had already explained, and it didn't help WMP9 to play the video, the audio played, but that was before I installed any codecs.

That is because WM9Codecs9x does not contain the codec necessary to play the file.

That is because WM9Codecs9x does not contain the codec necessary to play the file.

What does it contain would you happen to know?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6220

Edited by frogman

Sorry for not getting back sooner

I downloaded the Haali Media Splitter, but it seems to not have an icon associated with it, is this normal?

It is an exe installer, but because of my web hosting I had to chage the extension to .ex_, which I thought would be obvious. Rename it and run it.

I have since downloaded another version of the Haali Media Splitter, version called MatroskaSplitter-03032011, it is version 1.11.96.14.

As far as I know, versions later than 2007 do not work under Windows 98.

although I still see the ffdshow audio encoder in ths system tray

You disable the icons. Call up the configuration dialog for both video, audio. You have links for them in the Start Menu. The go to Tray, dialog & paths, and choose not to display any icons (screenshot, may differ slightly).

Nero installs components for MPEG-4 playback. To see which codecs are in use during playback, run Windows Media Player (mplayer2.exe), and look at the stream properties (screenshot). You want to see ffdshow there for good quality playback.

AFAIK, the Microsoft Codecs are only needed for WMA/WMV/ASF playback or authoring.