default user proflile

mobious99

Hi Everyone,

has anyone ever gotten the copyprofile option in sysprep to work for all shortcuts / settings?

I have hardware independant images that I build on virtual machines and then sysprep after they've been snapshot.

the way I have them built is

- standard os install

- standard software suite

- temporary admin account used for the build (all software installed under that user)

- desktop tweaks applied to default administrator and to the temp admin user

- after completed and qa'd I run sysprep /audit to inject the drivers.

- upon reboot I then run sysprep /generalize etc etc.

so shouldn't all profile settings from the temp admin user be copied to the default user account and any others?

It depends on what settings - not everything copies over, as certain settings get regenerated via Active Setup and other mechanisms. What specifically are you losing, and what is sticking around when using CopyProfile?

yes they exist under default admin account I created but not all users profile.

Check to see where those missing shortcuts are prior to copyprofile. For example, do they exist only on the Administrator Desktop?

If you are installing any programs in Audit Mode, make sure they install for all users. If the installer doesn't support that type of install, then it is best to not install it until after. Sometimes other things besides the icons are not copied over. I've encountered some apps that seem to straight up vanish except they show up in Programs and Features, and if you do find them in Program Files (or wherever) they do not run properly.

• 5 weeks later...

You said that you are creating a temporary admin account, and using that to install/setup the computer? You should perform all customizations in Audit mode. Audit mode uses the built-in administrator account, and the copyprofile setting copies the built-in administrator account to the default user profile. Do not create other profiles, as this can confuse the system during sysprep. This article may help: Customize Windows in Audit Mode

Also, you may want to look at the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit for your deployments. There is no need to inject drivers and have different images for various models of computer. MDT can control driver installations during the deployment. It can also install software after Windows is installed, so if the program you are installing releases a new version, you don't have to re-create your image. Simply change the task in MDT and the newer version will install instead. More information on MDT and other Windows deployment tools can be found on the Deliver page of the Springboard Series on TechNet.

Hope this helps,

David

Windows Outreach Team - IT Pro

• 1 month later...

thanks for the help guys.

I've decided to move all of the apps that won't install under all users to post deploy and copy any shortcuts to the allusers shortcuts.

I wish there was a way to verify that the default user profile and what was copied.