Windows Explorer on Windows 98 S.E

frogman

For some strange reason when I open windows explorer it then opens a new window but all that happens is the letter C highlights and that is all, nothing expands.

I have tried various things from google help but either they don't work or nothing that I find pertains to the 98 operating system.

Most of the stuff I have tried is pasting some command switches to the target when right clicking the explorer icon and then properties, but like I say nothing seems to help.

Previously when I used to click on windows explorer the windows would highlight and expand the C drive, now I need to do this manually everytime.

Any ideas?

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\

And... you didn't say which version of Explorer. You may have a corrupted Registry as well.

One may beg the question - did you do any "updates" (official/unofficial)? Or any registry "fiddling" to make something work?

(Hint - the REGISTRY settings that worked before you "fiddled" are/were in CAB files.)

Edited by submix8c

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\

And... you didn't say which version of Explorer. You may have a corrupted Registry as well.

One may beg the question - did you do any "updates" (official/unofficial)? Or any registry "fiddling" to make something work?

(Hint - the REGISTRY settings that worked before you "fiddled" are/were in CAB files.)

I have a feeling that this occurred after installing the Fast Stone Image Viewer, but maybe not.

I seem to have 2 instances of explorer in the windows system, one is application version 4.72.3612.1700, and the other instance is a Windows Explorer Command, so don't know if the two are of the same.

I can't remember if I had done anything to the registry or not, should I install it fresh from the windows 98 CD?

I tried again with C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,C:\ but it just gives me the same issue.

Let me say that I see other directories on the left, but the C drive just is highlighted but not expanded.

I seem to have 2 instances of explorer in the windows system, one is application version 4.72.3612.1700, and the other instance is a Windows Explorer Command, so don't know if the two are of the same.
Unless I misunderstand... One is EXPLORER.EXE (the WinME version, apparently from an Unofficial Update?) and the other is EXPLORER.SCF, the contents being

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,1

[Taskbar]
Command=Explorer

If you reboot to Safe Mode, Command Prompt and copy it to a TXT file this is what would/should be in it. Again, I believe you have boogered something in the Registry.

There should be THREE instances of EXPLORER.* - the third being EXPLORER.LGC (in Windows\Applog folder). This is the contents -

{
o d3cbe300 29d10 "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE"
<snip>
o d3cb91d0 62600 "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL"
<snip>
o d3cb9300 4404f "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL"
<snip>
o d3ca6cc0 1ccf "C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI"
<snip>
o d3cb9490 155110 "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL"
<snip>
o d3cc0b80 147400 "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL"
<snip>
o d3cbc110 f8800 "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL"
<snip>
o d3cb96a0 be110 "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLE32.DLL"
<snip>
}

I'm not sure what everything means (hashes/header info? "snipped" the irrelevant lines), BUT, I can assure you that those that list a filename MUST exist AND be the correct version for the EXPLORER.EXE that you are/WAS using (the WinME one). Otherwise, you WILL have failures.

And you STILL didn't say...

Want more help? Answer ALL questions, please... (betting you have REPLACED one of the above with an incorrect version).

Addendum - the EXPLORER.EXE Parameters.

Unless I misunderstand... One is EXPLORER.EXE (the WinME version, apparently from an Unofficial Update?) and the other is EXPLORER.SCF, the contents being

[Shell]
Command=2
IconFile=explorer.exe,1

[Taskbar]
Command=Explorer

If you reboot to Safe Mode, Command Prompt and copy it to a TXT file this is what would/should be in it. Again, I believe you have boogered something in the Registry.

There should be THREE instances of EXPLORER.* - the third being EXPLORER.LGC (in Windows\Applog folder). This is the contents -

{
o d3cbe300 29d10 "C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE"
<snip>
o d3cb91d0 62600 "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHLWAPI.DLL"
<snip>
o d3cb9300 4404f "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL"
<snip>
o d3ca6cc0 1ccf "C:\WINDOWS\WIN.INI"
<snip>
o d3cb9490 155110 "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHELL32.DLL"
<snip>
o d3cc0b80 147400 "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHDOCVW.DLL"
<snip>
o d3cbc110 f8800 "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BROWSEUI.DLL"
<snip>
o d3cb96a0 be110 "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\OLE32.DLL"
<snip>
}

I'm not sure what everything means (hashes/header info? "snipped" the irrelevant lines), BUT, I can assure you that those that list a filename MUST exist AND be the correct version for the EXPLORER.EXE that you are/WAS using (the WinME one). Otherwise, you WILL have failures.

And you STILL didn't say...

Want more help? Answer ALL questions, please... (betting you have REPLACED one of the above with an incorrect version).

Addendum - the EXPLORER.EXE Parameters.

I see you are a Systems Annihilist, I am not an expert of computers, so if you could help me fix the issue rather than bombard me with stuff that quite frankly I do not understand.

As for me not answering all your questions, I think you will find that I had answered your question regarding to whether I had done anything to the registry, I just can't remember was my answer.

did you do any "updates" (official/unofficial)?
Did you answer that question?

...and note this statement

I can assure you that those that list a filename MUST exist AND be the correct version for the EXPLORER.EXE that you are/WAS using (the WinME one). Otherwise, you WILL have failures.
Did you do any "swapping"? I do note that you did this:
I would like to add that I have extracted the windows explorer from the 98 CD

Do you have this or not?

There should be THREE instances of EXPLORER.* - the third being EXPLORER.LGC (in Windows\Applog folder).
It would make no sense that it wouldn't exist.

edit - and in "WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP" there is a set of files named "RBnnn.CAB" that is/WAS a backup of your Registry files, etc BEFORE it "failed".

Too late for that now... Edited by submix8c

did you do any "updates" (official/unofficial)?
Did you answer that question?

...and note this statement

I can assure you that those that list a filename MUST exist AND be the correct version for the EXPLORER.EXE that you are/WAS using (the WinME one). Otherwise, you WILL have failures.
Did you do any "swapping"? I do note that you did this:
I would like to add that I have extracted the windows explorer from the 98 CD

Do you have this or not?

There should be THREE instances of EXPLORER.* - the third being EXPLORER.LGC (in Windows\Applog folder).
It would make no sense that it wouldn't exist.

edit - and in "WINDOWS\SYSBCKUP" there is a set of files named "RBnnn.CAB" that is/WAS a backup of your Registry files, etc BEFORE it "failed".

Too late for that now...

You've lost me now mate.

:wacko:

I just don't see how... I asked THREE questions, which you did NOT answer and indicated a FOURTH (too late to use) solution.

Better brush up on the RBnnn.CAB usage - those are REGISTRY backups that are "rotated" through the numbers ("nnn") at each OS Boot. Once you pass the number of "Backup Count Kept" they "drop off" the "list", hence "TOO LATE TO USE". Go to that folder and look "inside" one of them and you'll see what I mean.

e.g. Count Kept=2

First Boot - RB000.CAB created

Second Boot - RB001.CAB created

Third Boot - RB002.CAB created, RB000.CAB DELETED (count to keep is TWO)

---and so on until RB999.CAB, in which case RB000.CAB reappears---

Now... for YOUR (before you extracted from the 98-CAB) WinME "Explorer.exe"

Explor98 - 2007 Dec 12 - 172/175/174kb - DL: ENG / ITA / BRA / Info: 1 / 2- Unofficial Windows Explorer 256 Color Icons Update (EXPLORER.EXE 4.72.3612.1700) (English, Italian, and Brazilian Portuguese)
Seems that you used some "Unofficial" updates (question #1), right or wrong?

Wrong.

For info as previously indicated, the explorer I extracted was taken from my Windows 98 S.E CD and is version 4.72.3110.1

I am using the target below which gives me drive "C" expanded, unfortunately the rest isn't shown at all for instance my documents and the "D" AND "E" drives, anyone know what I could change that command line to so that the rest show while executing windows explorer?

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /e,/root,C:\

<snip>I seem to have 2 instances of explorer in the windows system, one is application version 4.72.3612.1700<snip>
Wrong.

For info as previously indicated, the explorer I extracted was taken from my Windows 98 S.E CD and is version 4.72.3110.1

(sigh... I give up... live with it!)

<snip>I seem to have 2 instances of explorer in the windows system, one is application version 4.72.3612.1700<snip>
Wrong.

(sigh... I give up... live with it!)

I gave up when I read your first response, you need to understand that not everybody can understand all your computer talk, and I answered your question.

:rolleyes:

Please point to the post that indicates which "updates" you applied, Sir Frogman... USP3, AutoPatcher, Individual Updates?

WHERE/Which/WHAT? :realmad:

Is there a reason you can't say or do you just do "random updates"?

Edit - a search reveals that it must be "individual"...

Edit2 - I also note you always "ask", get "answers", but NEVER "CLOSE" any Topic you start. SA-WEET!

Here is the complete info on this individual fix with warnings.

...and pardon... this is a "patched" 98SE, not WinME...

Seemingly unrelated - read it...

Finally, just for giggles, try this (courtesy MDGx) -

Delete, but FIRST BACKUP to a safe location using Explorer's right-click menu Copy function, ALL .LG* files: .LGC, .LGD, .LGE... etc, located in your %windir%\APPLOG subfolder
Not to worry, these files will be recreated for each app, the first time you run a particular program, if Task Monitor is running when Windows loads (see above).
by having this TaskMon command line as String value (Windows default):

C:\Windows\Taskmon.exe

under this Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Try this (do the LAST quote FIRST) and see if it "rebuilds" (note - you only need to deal with EXPLORER.LGC, AFAICT). You may afterward remove the REG entry. I have no clue as to whether this will "fix" your problem, as I have been given insufficient information pertaining to your System. Edited by submix8c