bootable cd with nlite

mobiletech

I am new to this forum I hope this post is in the right place.

I have created a folder on my c drive that I copied windows XP with SP3 to that were on a disk I made from an ISO file. The ISO file I got I downloaded from MSDN while I was attending school. I would like to bake a bootable cd, but not sure how to go about it. I have looked around and I have seen where people say to download Microsoft Corporation.img, is this correct, if so, where can I download it, and then where can I find a tutorial or something to guid me thru the process. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Edited by Tripredacus
changed MSFN to MSDN

You dont need that img file. Nlite will create the bootable ISO, if you select it in Nlite. All you have to do, is select the drivers, if you want to slipstream any. And select the options you dont want to install (after Nlite creates the ISO).I would also use RVM Integrator. It makes things a lot easier.

So install both of these.. Use Nlite first. Then run RVM Integrator. Then add this update first. Altho, most of the links there are rubbish.I would get this one. Then add it under updatepack in RVM integrator.

You can also remove the files (that the update adds that you dont want).

I think you need that img file if you use Nero, but you dont need it if you use Nlite

Edited by PaulAuckNZ

Unless you tell more about what you really want to do, there is not much help needed.

As now

1)you have an iso (that I don't think you really downloaded from "MSFN", rather MSDN),

2)you burned it into a bootable cd, (without the need of any .img file)

3)you copied the files from that cd to a directory on your C: drive (be sure you get hidden files copied as well)

... you want to make a bootable cd... the answer is; you have one at point 2).

If as we guess, you want to make a custom cd, use nLite on the folder you created in 3), nLite will send you to point 1) creating a new iso (at the end of process, if you choose that option in main menu). You don't need any help (nor any .img file) going from 1) to 2) again as you've just proved you can do it !

Note that there are easy ways to extract an iso without using (wasting) a physical media.

This post is for advanced users.

nLite contains the boot sector file that mobiletech was talking about. It's named "boot.bin" and located in your nLite installation directory.

Note, however, the boot sector that is included in the official WinXP SP3 disc is different from the "boot.bin" above. I don't know the exact reason, but I suspect that Microsoft have re-assembled the code to improve compatibility with AMD64 architectures.

Edited by Explorer09