Features and options removed in Windows 8

xpclient

Yes, these sounds are not back but I find it OK. Thanks for the suggestion but I wouldn't like to use Classic Shell. I may need a shortcut to shut down the computer for my sister though.

I'm waiting for your updating the list. Thanks again.

I updated the list above. Many people have accused me on my blog of just fault finding for features hardly used by anyone. Personally, I didn't have to make a huge effort to make the list, I just noticed them in my daily usage, which means I use these features once in a while, but noticed they were missing. Anyways, my intention with making the list wasn't to troll as the hateful comments on my blog said but to encourage Microsoft to fix them. I am trying just as well as everyone is to migrate to the newest version of Windows without making compromises about the features I used. With that in mind, I revisited many features once again above and eliminated from my blog list, many feature which most people think are "meh" or hardly noteworthy. The priority for me is to find solutions to the deal-breaking problems now, at this stage, MS is done with Windows 8.

Here's the solutions I have found to various removed features and others which are just unproductive UI changes hoping someone would find them useful.

● Start Menu: Use Classic Shell obviously. Here's how close it get us to the Start Menu: Classic Shell with Windows 7 skin. Classic Shell's Start Menu still lacks a few things: mainly it still it does not have Windows Search integration, file search and support for certain features like jump lists and pinning documents.

● Explorer Ribbon: Just disable it using Ribbon Disabler.

● File conflict dialog hides info to compare files like size, date modified behind one additional click. You have to click "Compare info for both files" in the overwrite conflict dialog to see the details before you can make a decision to overwrite or skip. This change is really subjective and some people may *like* the Windows 8 dialog. For me, it just increases the number of clicks. No solution to this yet.

● File operations like Rename, Delete can no longer be undone for UAC-protected locations (still broken)

● Start menu search used to return file results from indexed locations. Start screen file search only looks in Libraries, not the index, at least not for many file types. I get many file results for search terms in Explorer that I do not get on the Start screen. Use a decent search utility like FileSearchEX or FileLocator Lite (free) or FileLocator Pro (real-time search+IFilters!)

● Application installers or apps themselves can no longer programmatically configure, change or query file associations or set themselves during installation as the default for a file type or protocol! File type associations have to be and can only be configured manually by the user from Default Programs Control Panel! The Windows 7 Open With dialog already respected user choice. If a program was associated with a file type from the Open With dialog's 'Always use the selected program to open this kind of file' option, there was no issue of programs taking over the user's file associations. (still broken) In fact, because default everything is associated with the horrible Metro style apps so first thing after installing Windows 8 I do is install Windows Live Essentials, then go to Default Programs and make the desktop equivalents as the default for all file types so I never see the face of Metro.

● Many commands are missing on the Ribbon which were there on Explorer command bar like Compatibility Files, View Remote Printers etc and others for special folders and namespace extensions. They just forgot to add these to these commands! (Still missing on the Ribbon and even disabling the Ribbon doesn't restore them on the Command bar). Though I haven't had time to look at this, I think they can be restored. Explorer since Windows 7 has a global Command Store at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell where all the commands are defined and I see the missing toolbar/ribbon commands there. So it might be a matter of adding to the proper folder template at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FolderTypes

● The ability to boot directly to the desktop and not load the Metro components in memory is not there. Items in various startup locations (Registry, startup folder etc) are all loaded with a delay of few seconds with no way to load them instantly. (Obviously still there)

● The Lock screen is the place where you can now display custom background instead of the Logon screen, but unlike the Logon screen, there is no way to programmatically change or cycle through a group of images for the Lock screen background so you automatically see a different Lock screen image every time. It must be set manually by the user from PC settings on the Start screen. (I can disable the Lock screen through Group Policy but there isn't a way to display an image on the logon screen, nor a way to cycle images on the Lock screen).

● Explorer status bar removes the ability to show important details. It is now a private undocumented control (DirectUI) so it also doesn't allow Explorer addons like Classic Shell to show information like free disk space, total size of items without selection, computer zone, infotip information as it could on a standard status bar control. :realmad: (Still there, EPIC FAIL of the shell team). Even Classic Shell cannot fix it now.

● Explorer: Ability to enable both Details pane and Preview pane simultaneously in Explorer for display of file metadata as well as preview, or, Details pane to be always shown and only the Preview pane toggled is gone. (still gone). I needed this as I always keep the Details pane on in Windows 7 at the bottom and turned on Preview pane only when I needed it. They moved the Details pane to the right and it's locked there. :realmad:

● Flip 3D (Win+Tab in Windows 7) is gone. Not a big deal but it was nice to have. Win+Tab includes a Metro-style switcher that is just like Alt+Tab, only places the thumbnails vertically. Also, it does not work when only desktop apps are running.

● The AutoPlay dialog removes the checkbox option to always open a particular program based on the file type. Not a big deal. You can set it from Control Panel to always open what you want.

● The Open With dialog breaks the NoFileAssociate Group Policies and is horribly designed. It is a Metro-style floating dialog that looks out of place on the desktop. Browsing for a program not listed in it with the redesigned Open With dialog is cumbersome. (That Group Policy setting still don't work).

● Aero Glass transparency is gone and the rich, glossy Aero look has been replaced with a flattened look. (The look is a minor issue for me, it doens't look horribly ugly but Aero Glass looked better, it wouldn't have hurt to keep it as a theme)

Advanced Appearance settings which let you adjust colors, sizes and fonts are removed. Although Windows themes and UI elements based on visual styles such as the Aero-based themes ignored some of these settings, some aspects of the visual style-based themes were still customizable with this dialog. :realmad: (This is really p***ing me off. No solution. Maybe editing the settings in the registry directly will work, or someone will come up with their own GUI clone of the Advanced Appearance settings window)● The Windows Basic and Classic themes have been removed. These were the only themes that fully respected the system colors and window metrics (which have also been removed as stated above). All themes are now based on Visual Styles. Due to inability of Desktop Window Manager to be turned off, desktop themes that worked only with the legacy window manager (compositing=off) cannot be used. (I personally always used Aero, Classic looked great only on XP, on Vista/7, it disables composition which just isn't acceptable to me)

Sound events for 'Exit Windows', 'Windows Logon' and 'Windows Logoff' are removed. (Still not fixed so it's going to stay that way because I talking to the guy in charge of Windows audio after Consumer Preview and he said they were "listening to feedback"). Taking the fun out of "Windows". I will put them back via Classic Shell.

● Running Internet Explorer purely in 64-bit mode is not possible unless Enhanced Protected Mode is enabled which disables all addons. Otherwise, 64-bit IE10 opens 32-bit tabs. (Doesn't seem to have changed for Release Preview. 64-bit IE10 is opening tabs as 32-bit processes): http://i.imgur.com/sQqMU.png Not

a big deal but why??

● Search option to use natural language search has

been removed from Folder Options. (Not returned. I haven't tested the

registry setting for this. Maybe the reg value still exists?)

● Windows Update settings for showing notifications and allowing all users to install updates have been removed. Windows Update no longer notifies with a balloon notification that there are new updates available. The problem is if you have set Windows to auto logon, you will never get notified of updates unless you check for updates manually. (Someone at Microsoft thought it would be great to move the "New updates available" notification to the Welcome/Logon screen) :realmad:

● The new Task Manager is missing far too many features of the old one. (Fortunately, even though the old Task Manager is removed in Windows 8 Release Preview, you can copy Taskmgr.exe and Taskmgr.exe.mui from the version which has it to restore it)

● Chkdsk when run at startup hides any information about file system repairs besides % complete. (No fix for this stupidity and dumbing down)

● In a dual boot scenario, the ability to directly boot from a cold boot into another OS besides Windows 8 is slowed down because the new Windows 8 boot shell/loader reboots to load the other operating system. (You can disable this behavior, disable the graphical bootloader and make the old text-based loader the default). On UEFI-based systems, the graphical bootloader is likely to boot Windows 8 faster. On a legacy BIOS system, I see no performance difference when booting with the old text-based loader and the graphical bootloader).

● Device Manager no longer shows Non-Plug and Play Drivers or hidden devices. The "Devmgr_Show_NonPresent_Devices=1' environment variable has no effect. (Haven't found a way yet to view Non-Plug and Play devices which are mostly software drivers various apps like SysInternals apps install or anti-virus file system filter drivers install.

● Security Essentials settings for configuring default actions or real-time protection have been removed. (Security Essentials is now built-in as Windows Defender) (Go to hell MSE - I will use another powerful AV instead of this dumbed down one that takes away control from you).

● MSConfig's Startup tab has been killed and replaced by the Task Manager's Startup tab that doesn't have the 'Location' column which was useful for example to know if the process started from HKCU or HKLM. (Restore MSConfig.exe and MSConfig.exe.mui from Windows 7 SP1)

Memory addresses and other technical information has been removed from the Windows 8 bug check screen (BSOD) (No solution found to the dumbed down BSOD - hopefully there is a registry edit that allows showing the technical BSOD)

● Subsystem for UNIX-based applications (SUA) is removed. (I thought it was only deprecated for Windows 8 - it seems to be entirely removed in Release Preview, it was present in Consumer Preview and Developer Preview). Unless you require these tools, very few people will be affected by this)

Previous Versions for Shadow Copies is removed. The half-baked replacement is the File History feature which is only for certain file types (documents, music, videos and pictures) in Libraries, desktop and browser favorites. Previous Versions worked for any generic file type in any folder. File History does not even support EFS-encrypted files! File History is supposed to replace both "Previous Versions for Shadow Copies" as well as "Windows Backup and Restore" and it doesn't do 100% of either of the features it replaces! Typical Microsoft style "improvement". (Crap decisions like this make me mad. :realmad: I want Previous Versions/Shadow Copies back!!). File History only backs up certain file types and only from Libraries and Desktop and has to be "set up".)

● Desktop Tablet Input Panel (TIP) is replaced by a dumbed down touch keyboard. I guess Metro is the way for touch features. Goodbye to productive multitasking if you want to use Windows touch features.

● The dumbing down that comes with Internet Explorer 9 and later versions: no dedicated search box with proper search provider functionality, no page title, no progress bar, no privacy/cookie blocked icon, no indicator of Protected Mode and security zone, no status of page rendering errors, no free moving of toolbars, no completed MB for downloads (only %). (I don't see this changing for IE10) :realmad:

People Near Me P2P API is removed (Not a big deal at all but nice P2P apps like Windows Meeting Space could be built using it)

Network Map feature and some network profile management UI (setting a network as Private, Public, customizing the network name and icon etc) from Network and Sharing Center is missing.● Redialing options (redial attempts, time between attempts, idle threshold) for VPN, PPPoE, DSL and dial-up connections are removed. For PPPoE connections, the option to display progress while connecting and whether to include Windows logon domain are also removed. (WTF? Have they gone mad - randomly deleting options?, why wouldn't any one to need redial any more in 2012 if they needed it in 2011?)

View Available Networks (VAN) UI has been crippled with access to the most important dialog: the Network's Status dialog removed. The VAN UI now covers the notification area icons unnecessarily and the Metro look is out of place on the Aero desktop (Network Activity Indicator can be used to quickly view status. It's a shame Windows 7 had this built-in for wireless connections)

● The Wi-Fi toggle tile is removed from Windows Mobility Center. (Maybe because you can turn off the connection from notification area. The Wi-Fi tile disable the wireless radio however.)

● The keyboard shortcut for Windows Mobility Center has been removed. Previously, Win+X brought it up, now it brings up the power user context menu. There is no keyboard shortcut for Mobility Center. (You can launch it from Power notification area icon or search)

● The keyboard shortcut for Aero Peek has been removed. Previously, Win+Space did Aero Peek. Now it switches the input language. There is no keyboard shortcut now for Aero Peek. (Move the mouse to right bottom hot corner - no keyboard shortcut though for quickly viewing the desktop)

● The "Unblock" button previously available on the file properties dialog for unblocking downloaded files (removing the NTFS Alternate Data Stream from the downloaded file) has been removed. (Restored in Release Preview)

● Explorer copy engine issue: Folder conflict prompt when merging/overwriting folders is removed. Explorer silently merges subfolders in a copy operation, you get prompted for the individual files in a subfolder, but you cannot choose entire subfolders to skip or overwrite. (Restored in Release Preview, just turn on the option from Folder Options)

● The Explorer metadata/property handler for some media file types is removed which means the Details pane won't show or edit those nice properties. (http://4.bp.blogspot...diaMetadata.jpg) (Restored in Release Preview)

● The "Compatibility" tab for an application's properties no longer includes 'Windows 2000' and 'Windows NT 4.0' modes. You will be forced to use Application Compatibility Toolkit to set these OS modes. (Use Application Compatibility Toolkit if you need to use these modes)

● Desktop games (no word on whether they will be included or dropped in favor of Metro-style games): (Can be restored if you know how - just hack the licensing mechanism and they will run)

• Chess Titans

• FreeCell

• Hearts

• Solitaire

• Spider Solitaire

• Minesweeper

• Mahjong Titans

• Purble Place

● Windows Gadget Platform is intact but no gadgets to download as the online Gadget Gallery was killed for Windows Vista and Windows 7 users as well. (Use a torrent to obtain the gadgets you want or other sites which host them)

● Windows DVD Maker is removed (Copy it back from Windows 7 if you like the nice looking fancy templates)

● Windows Briefcase creation ability is gone from 'New' menu (Shell templates) - Can be restored with a simple registry edit

● The 'Set Up a Connection or Network' wizard removes the options to create a wireless ad hoc connection or a Bluetooth PAN network. (Maybe ad hoc connection capability is removed because Windows 8 supports Wi-Fi Direct, you can set up a PAN network from Bluetooth Control Panel)

● The Wireless NIC hosted/virtual Wi-Fi does not work due to lack of in-box drivers. The virtual adapter does not get automatically enabled like on Windows 7. (http://msdn.microsof...3(v=vs.85).aspx) (Restored in Release Preview - the virtual Wi-Fi works again)

One thing I would like to say, Classic Shell is indispensable for me whether I am running Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows Vista. I contacted Ivo to develop Classic Shell and sent feedback on the User Experience and testing out of frustration and need for a tool like it to restore basic customization back to Windows. Without it, my Windows journey would have ended right at Windows XP and then I would have migrated to Linux.

xpclient,

Thanks very much for this fantastic rundown. :thumbup You really have delved deep into the OS -- and provided an extensive list of reasons to avoid Windows 8.

Obviously not everyone uses all of the lost features every day, but I can't understand those who pooh-pooh these losses. It's like eliminating the left-right balance knob in a car stereo, the light over the vanity mirror, and the side pockets from the rear seats. Some people will say, "Who cares? I never use these," but as the feature removals add up they progressively reduce functionality and increase the number of cases where people will find their experience of driving to be diminished.

--JorgeA

Xpclient,

Many thanks for posting the list. Now I know why many people want a tutorial to trim down their Windows. There are many things on the list I don't use and even don't know what they are! I am glad that this version of W8 remove most of them because I don't need or ever use them.

Yet, I am interested in this part of your post:

● Desktop games (no word on whether they will be included or dropped in favor of Metro-style games): (Can be restored if you know how - just hack the licensing mechanism and they will run)

Would you mind teaching me how to do it? Or if there is already a tutorial somewhere, please share the link. Thank you in advance.

Would you mind teaching me how to do it? Or if there is already a tutorial somewhere, please share the link. Thank you in advance.

Here's one method: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/33214-How-to-use-Microsoft-Games-from-Windows-7-in-Windows-8 that patches the game executables. Or you can wrap the licensing DLL, SLC.DLL's SLGetWindowsInformation function and place it in each game's folder to run them without patching. (I can't share the DLL for legal reasons, so use the other patching method).

Thanks a lot for the link! I follow exactly what the guide says and it works perfect.

It's interesting that Minesweeper works fine too, no matter where I put it and it needs no patching.

Edit: delete picture.

Edited by Aloha

• 3 months later...

Hi everybody!

Could this thread be made a sticky?

TIA.

While this is a good topic, I'm not sure how valuable it will be further along in Windows 8's lifetime. So I am recommending you choose the "Watch Topic" button at the top of the thread, then you can track it/find it easily from your user profile.

:hello:

• 1 month later...

Hello to everyone at MSFN. I have been here for a long time (since the Unattended MSFN days) but never took part in the forums. Dunno why. I will now. MSFN is a friendly place for me. I am also part of Classic Shell development - I do the testing, UI design feedback and overall UX and new feature ideas - how stuff should work, helping Ivo out (the developer of Classic Shell).

I have made a list of features removed, missing or absent options in Windows 8 compared to Windows 7:

● Start Menu.

Built-in (Microsoft provided) DVD playback in Windows Media Player will not be available on the Windows 8 platform, even with addition of the Media Center Pack.

● Device Manager no longer shows Non-Plug and Play Drivers or hidden devices. The "Devmgr_Show_NonPresent_Devices=1' environment variable has no effect: Image

● Applications can no longer programmatically configure, change or query file associations or set themselves during installation as the default for a file type or protocol!

● Many commands are missing on the Ribbon which were there on Explorer command bar like Compatibility Files, View Remote Printers etc and others for special folders and namespace extensions. They just forgot to add these to these commands!

● The "Compatibility" tab for an application's properties no longer includes 'Windows 2000' and 'Windows NT 4.0' modes. You will be forced to use Application Compatibility Toolkit to set these OS modes.

● The menu bar and command bar (toolbar) in Windows Explorer have been removed and replaced with the Ribbon interface. Keyboard usability IMHO of the Ribbon is poor because in a menu, the first letter of any menu command or Alt+keyboard combination key is easier to read sequentially as it is placed in a row either horizontally or vertically. Mouse usability of the Ribbon and discoverability of commands is also poor, because unlike in a menu, where you can switch from one menu to another without clicking again, the Ribbon tabs do not activate unless you click again. The File menu also showed context menu commands but the File button on the Ribbon does not show these. Commands in the menu can be static (always available) irrespective of the location you are at in Explorer or they can be dynamic like the File menu. In contrast, commands on the Ribbon are all contextual meaning you have to navigate to a certain location to use that Ribbon command. The Ribbon is not customizable, only the Quick Access Toolbar is customizable but its usability is poor because it uses tiny 16 x 16 icons! (So much for a touch-friendly OS).

● The ability to boot directly to the desktop and not load the Metro components in memory is not there. Items in various startup locations (Registry, startup folder etc) are all loaded with a delay of few seconds with no way to load them instantly.

● The Lock screen is the place where you can now display custom background instead of the Logon screen, but unlike the Logon screen, there seems to be no way to programmatically change or cycle through a group of images for the Lock screen background. It must be set manually by the user from PC settings on the Start screen.

● Running Internet Explorer purely in 64-bit mode is not possible unless Enhanced Protected Mode is enabled which disables all addons not compatible with EPM. Otherwise, 64-bit IE10 opens 32-bit tabs.

● Search option to use natural language search has been removed.

● File operations like Rename, Delete can no longer be undone for UAC-protected locations

● Security Essentials settings for configuring default actions or real-time protection have been removed. (Security Essentials is now built-in as Windows Defender)

● In a dual boot scenario, the ability to directly boot into another OS besides Windows 8 is slowed down because the new Windows 8 boot shell/loader reboots to load the other operating system.

● Windows Update settings for showing notifications and allowing all users to install updates have been removed. Windows Update no longer notifies with a balloon notification that there are new updates available.

Sound events for 'Exit Windows', 'Windows Logon' and 'Windows Logoff' are removed

People Near Me P2P API is removed

WinHelp has been completely discontinued. No download will be available.

● MSConfig's Startup tab has been killed and replaced by the Task Manager's Startup tab that doesn't have the 'Location' column which was useful for example to know if the process started from HKCU or HKLM.

Previous Versions for Shadow Copies is removed. The half-baked replacement is the File History feature which is only for certain file types (documents, music, videos and pictures) in Libraries, desktop and browser favorites. Previous Versions worked for any generic file type in any folder. File History does not even support EFS-encrypted files! File History is supposed to replace both "Previous Versions for Shadow Copies" as well as "Windows Backup and Restore" and it doesn't do 100% of either of the features it replaces!

Advanced Appearance settings which let you adjust colors, sizes and fonts are removed

● Explorer status bar removes the ability to show important details. It is now a private undocumented control (DirectUI) so it also doesn't allow Explorer addons like Classic Shell to show information like free disk space, total size of items without selection, computer zone, infotip information as it could on a standard status bar control.

● Explorer: Ability to enable both Details pane and Preview pane simultaneously in Explorer for display of file metadata as well as preview, or, Details pane to be always shown and only the Preview pane toggled is gone

Flip 3D is gone

● Chkdsk when run at startup does not display any information about file system repairs besides % complete. This screen with scanning and correction details is gone when Chkdsk runs at startup and replaced by just a % complete.

● Pen, Ink and Touch Input Desktop features, including the The Tablet Input Panel (TIP) are no longer included. Some buttons ('num', 'sym' and 'web) are removed from the Handwriting input panel and UI changes to it require more clicks for example to switch from handwriting to keyboard, or access the editing commands (join, split, delete). It is now touch-friendly but no longer stylus-friendly. Desktop tablet features are replaced by a "simplified" touch keyboard.

Network Map feature and some network profile management UI (setting a network as Private, Public, customizing the network name and icon etc) from Network and Sharing Center is missing

Memory addresses and other technical information has been removed from the Windows 8 bug check screen (BSOD)

● The new Task Manager is missing many features of the old one: http://social.techne...c8-c39833aff90e

View Available Networks (VAN) UI has been crippled with access to the most important dialog: the Network's Status window removed. The VAN UI now covers the notification area icons unnecessarily and the Metro look is out of place on the Aero desktop.

● The AutoPlay dialog removes the option to always open a particular program based on the file type

● The Open With dialog breaks the NoInternetOpenWith and NoFileAssociate Group Policies and browsing for a program with the redesigned Open With dialog requires three clicks instead of just one.

● The Windows Error Reporting dialog for reporting/debugging crashes does not save the state of "View details"

Windows CardSpace is not installed even after installing .NET 3.0/3.5

● The keyboard shortcut for Windows Mobility Center has been removed. Previously, Win+X brought it up, now it brings up the power user context menu.

Some remoting apps that use mirror drivers or some features of mirror drivers for remoting scenarios, accessibility, or desktop duplication may no longer be supported due to the changes required to be made to Desktop Window Manager.

● Some Audio Compression Manager (ACM) components are broken resulting in Sound Recorder being unable to do format conversion.

● Subsystem for UNIX-based applications is completely removed

If you notice more features missing, removed or broken, you are welcome to notify me. Haven't discovered all the ways in which Microsoft has secretly damaged the OS yet.

Some examples of Metro encroaching on the Aero desktop:

User interfaces for View Available Networks (VAN) and AutoPlay

User interfaces for Open With, Windows Update restart prompt and Error Reporting

Reset and Refresh - a great new feature but what is this monstrosity doing on the Aero desktop?

DisplaySwitch - seriously what is this mixing of Metro style on the Aero desktop?

BitLocker unlock drive dialog

Previous lists I made:

Features removed in Windows 7

Features removed in Windows Vista

Windows 7 will be my last Windows. :( Debian + LXDE, here I come.

Updated the list for Release preview. However, the list of my blog (which I won't link to, to avoid shameless promoting it) is the list of issues I am really concerned of. Some of the items in this list are "meh", they are there just for sake of completeness, they don't bother me so much. Some features like Unblock button to remove the Alternate Data Stream or the folder conflict dialog are back.

I'm sorry, guys, but I have to say it. They weren't joking when they said simplify your life. Sounds like Windows 95 Third Edition to me. LMAO Just confirms everything I knew as soon as I heard Windows 8.

I found this blog that was posted a year ago about Windows 8, I think he covered pretty much everything that has been removed from the Windows 8 downgrade lol http://xpwasmyidea.blogspot.in/2011/09/features-removed-in-windows-8.html

Anyway not sure if all of that is still relevant or what else MS decided to take out but personally I will stick with Win 7 as my main Desktop OS and Win 8 will remain just on my VM for research and development purposes only (I may still buy a Windows 8 Tablet :P) :)

● The "Compatibility" tab for an application's properties no longer includes 'Windows 2000' and 'Windows NT 4.0' modes. You will be forced to use Application Compatibility Toolkit to set these OS modes.

And I also noticed that Server 2012 doesn't include Windows 8 compatibility mode, unlike Server 2008 R2 that does offer Windows 7 compatibility option.

Anyway not sure if all of that is still relevant or what else MS decided to take out but personally I will stick with Win 7 as my main Desktop OS and Win 8 will remain just on my VM for research and development purposes only (I may still buy a Windows 8 Tablet :P) :)

I'm with you on that. The only reason I might buy Windows 8 would be to get the Pro pack with Media Center (we use it to watch cable), so that we can get MS support for WMC for (hopefully) three more years.

--JorgeA

Lol, browsing forums for 'no start menu' I read someone pretending quite happy with it, saying that Metro screen provides better access to all programs (!) "as it was frequently proven in blogs." :rolleyes:

That means if they prove something got better in Windows 8, you better take it. :thumbup