Windows Server 2003 SP2 setup failing

All,

Request your help in resolving an issue while deploying SP2 in Windows server 2003.

Whenever, I try to install SP2 in W2K3 SP1, the setup exits immediately with error "Extract Failed" in Title bar and "The Operation completed successfully" in subject window.

Most of the KB sites indicate either as damaged SP2 setup file or system files corrupted issue.

The SP2 setup file is not damaged as I am using the same file to install SP2 in other servers successfully.

I cannot wipe and reinstall the OS as the server is very critical for client.

I guess something to do with self-extract component in W2K3 as I could not extract other setup files like BITS which exits with same aformentioned error.

Please guide me to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Thulasiraman CJ

Thanks for your response. I tried extracting the setup file locally but not successfully. No message displayed. However, I extracted the setup file from another machine and tried to run update.exe in the affected server. The setup exits stating that "service pack 2 setup cancelled". WHen I initiate update.msi, it pops out error message as "MS requires use of the "Machine Assigned" distribution method when using update.msi. I cannot use GPO now to initiate machine assigned distribution due to administrative issues.

Hi, Thanks for your help. PFA the svcsetup.log file. I overlooked the log file and was thinking it is not there

********************************************************************************************************************

12.937: 2012/05/02 14:10:56.765 (local)

12.937: D:\Win2k3 SP2\sp2\i386\update\update.exe (version 6.3.4.1)

12.937: Service Pack started with following command line:

12.937: In Function GetBuildType, line 1170, RegQueryValueEx failed with error 0x2

13.015: DoInstallation:CreateProgressDialog failed

13.078: UnRegisterSpuninstForRecovery, failed to delete SpRecoverCmdLine value, error 0x2

13.078: DoInstallation: Failed to unregistering spuninst.exe for recovery.

13.078: Service Pack 2 Setup canceled.

15.469: Message displayed to the user: Service Pack 2 Setup canceled.

15.469: User Input: OK

15.469: Update.exe extended error code = 0xf00d

15.469: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.

*********************************************************************************************************************

I tried to install in safe mode but the setup exit with error "Cannot find windows class"

Any help will be greatly appreciated

The problem may have something to do with this line:

13.015: DoInstallation:CreateProgressDialog failed

but there's no detailed information so it's just guessing. I've quickly searched for it in the Internet and someone wrote that creating a new user account and installing it from there worked.

• 8 months later...

I have the same issue. Did you solve it?

When run program from microsoft packed in sfx cab (NetFx20SP2_x86.exe, scripten.exe, etc.) comes out error

"Extraction failed" "The operation completed successfully."

All rights to installer checked belong to the Administrators group.

Create a new user with Admin rights, are not help.

safe mode does not help.

attempt to unpack and run also did not work.

from the command line gives the same error.

attempt to reinstall ie8, the same error.

Thanks for your response. Yes, I tried it. Program started, doing something and then ask reboot, but it did not help.

What has IE8 have to do with anything?

It all started with IE8 so initially tried to reinstall

Edited by Levazzz

I have the same issue. Did you solve it?

When run program from microsoft packed in sfx cab (NetFx20SP2_x86.exe, scripten.exe, etc.) comes out error

"Extraction failed" "The operation completed successfully."

All rights to installer checked belong to the Administrators group.

Create a new user with Admin rights, are not help.

safe mode does not help.

attempt to unpack and run also did not work.

from the command line gives the same error.

attempt to reinstall ie8, the same error.

Thanks for your response. Yes, I tried it. Program started, doing something and then ask reboot, but it did not help.

What has IE8 have to do with anything?

It all started with IE8 so initially tried to reinstall

Scattered information. Order of failures? ALL of them fail? From the FIRST TIME?

Also

Program started, doing something and then ask reboot
"DO SOMETHING"??? Not very informative. You DO have LOG files, don't you?

Please note the thread you jumped into was specifically (initially) for Remote Deploy Install Service Pack 2 for a Domain Server 2003. Are your problems related to Server 2003?

Found this that indicates New Userid (as specified above) and PERMISSIONS on the Target Machine. The UserID has to be on the LOCAL machine as an ADMINISTRATOR and have Full Permissions (apparently). If (i say IF) that works, then I would recommend that AFTER the Installations succeed, the Permissions be REMOVED and the UserID deleted (cleanup).

I don't have this problem as I don't run Server for anything but IIS (web server) and do everything Locally from an Admin (THE RENAMED ADMIN) account.

Oddball KB article - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948492/en-us