Win 2k Updates

I just installed 2000 with sp4 (one of my favorite OSes ever) on an old compaq, and am wondering which updates to install, and in what order? I see uurollup, update rollup 2, unofficial sp 5.1, etc. and have no idea where to begin. A little guidance will be greatly appreciated. I am running Pro, and am not using it as a server (at least not yet: )

As you've already installed the system I'd suggest one of the two ways:

1) everything from Windows Update + UURollup.

or

2) USP5.1 + everything from Windows Update + UURollup

If you choose the 1) method you may also want to install IE6 / MDAC 2.81 / WMP9 / DX9 before installing any other updates, and when using the 2) method you only need to install MDAC 2.81 / WMP9 / DX9 as IE6 is already integrated in USP5.1. You can find them here.

There is actually more to do after installing all these but let's stop here now ;) These two methods provide probably the fastest way to fully update the system.

Edited by tomasz86

Thank you for the incredibly timely response. I have heard that the 5.1 Unofficial service pack has some problems with USB drivers. Will these adversely affect my USB usage on this system? On this computer, I use a USB keyboard and mouse, and occasionally a USB printer and external hard drive.

There's one bug in USP5.1 caused by one of the USB related HBRs (hotfixes by request) but it can be solved pretty easily. I don't think there have been observed any other issues with the USP :)

If I were you i'd do it like this:

1. USP 5.1

2. MDAC 2.81

3. WMP9

4. Everything from Windows Update

5. Unofficial updates for MDAC 2.81 & WMP9

6. Unofficial updates for IE6/OE6

7. Custom updates 2483185, 2347290 & 983838 (see here; don't install the fourth one 2482017 because it's not compatible with WildBill's 32-bit icon support which is included in the UURollup)

8. UURollup (You may want to wait a few hours for a new version :whistle:)

9. Other unofficial packages like KB914783-KB974266, WIC or MSRDP52. You can find them on the bristols list too.

Edited by tomasz86

I installed gurglemeyer's 5.1 without the hotfix after. It seems to be powering my usb devices just fine. If I have problems, I will apply the fixes. Any other updates you strongly recommend?

Hello fine people, nice to see you again!

I had bad experience with the post-Rollup1 patches for USB. Clearing that took me long.

Knowing that the uSp5 includes many such untested patches, I personally stay away from it.

At the HfSlip subforum, you may find lists of W2k updates, post-Sp4 and Rollup1.

The order seems to have limited importance with W2k - a great progress over W95.