need a composite output video card

neovikingx

Do I need to worry about DirectX 8 and OpenGL 1.3 on an older pci video card with composite out? I only want to us it for a secondary video output for an older tv and wont be used for games, my system right now is xp with a pci e video card with direct x 9 or 10 my mother board is a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P with Q9300.

I was also thinking about get this Video Card

Or is there another way to do this without using a converter box?

Thanks for any info I can get

its has a geforce 6800 gts chip set not sure what make. but Iwill upgrade that to somthing better soon. The link i posted at the top shows that card supports win 7 but since 7 is set up with directx 10 will i be able to use a card with direct x 9 for just video out put for composite out?

What I was reading is that win 7 is set with dx 10 and you cant use dx9 on it. I was going to use a good gaming video card for my primary video out put. and use the one with composite out just to watch video on the crt tv I have for guests.

Does directx and open gl have anything to do with just video play back through a composite out?

I also was reading that dx 11 seem to be backwards compatible with 10.1, 10, and 9, if so I could use that.

Thank for any info I could get

I have DX9 installed on my Win7 PC at home! Some game needed it and it was fine. However, yes Win7 runs natively in its own DX version, but if a program requires a DX9 library, it can load those if it is installed.

As far as Open GL, I did not test it on Win7. I did get Open GL 1.3 to work on Vista however.

I have no idea why you would adapt modern technology to fit old technology, but it is your call.

The reason I bought up a VGA to TV box (for 15USD shipped) was to use old TVs with modern computers, and you could have picked any video card even the latest released ones. So adapting the TV and NOT the PC with outdated stuff. On these boxes you can have over-scan, zoom, center and size options so you could have adjusted everything better than with your videocard drivers. You could have used that box even with your current nVidia 6800 card (or was that a typo and it's a 8600?).

Buying a simple video card like a HD5450/HD6450 and the TV box would have given you:

- HDMI output

- H.264 hardware encoding

- Lower power consumption (with a simple to-date card)

- Much more video settings

- Much more video filters

- Better support for and from modern OSes (DX11)

And there are much more reasons.

Yes it was a typo, it is a 8600 not 6800.

The reason I wanted a secondary card for an old tv is for less cluter and wires.

Does that box convert wide screen formate to 4:3 standard. The monitors I have are a 22" acer and a 24" hp.

The system will have 2 monitors and one composite out for my older 32" sony trinitron tv so my guest can watch videos with out being crowded around the desk.

Later I will get a newer tv but dont realy need one at this moment since most of my entertainment equipment is still old.

Here's a link to a new unit that I believe is similar to what puntoMX is talking about - http://www.meritline.com/vga-to-tv-converter---p-40917.aspx I don't see that it has the ability to convert wide screen to 4:3, but maybe puntoMX can provide a link to one that does? (I doubt it would be 15$USD though, but I could be wrong)

VGA to TV Converter, Input VGA , Output RCA Composite Video, S-Video and VGA, Supports Resolution up to 1280 X 1024, Dual display on PC Monitor and TV

PC Laptop to TV converter is a handed-size universal VGA to TV converter box. It supports resolution up to 1280 x 1024. Compact size, Power from USB port, It is best for PC GAME, PC DVD, and Internet viewing on TV, Entertainment, Education and Presentation.

Features:

Video Standard: NTSC/NTSC-EIAJ/PAL-M/PAL-N/SECAM(via RGB out)

VGA Support Resulotion: 640x480 (up to 85Hz), 800x600 (up to 85Hz), 1024x768 (up to 85Hz) and 1280x1024 (up to 60Hz)

Input Port: DB15 (VGA)

Output Ports: RCA Composite video, S-Video and VGA (HD15)

Image controls: Horizontal and vertical size, brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, sharpness and onscreen display background

System Requirements: Desktop or Notebook PC compatible with IBM PC or MACINTOSH PC.

TV or VCR which supports NTSC(2 pins Down) or PAL(2 pins Up) video standard with composite video input S-Video input, RGB video input

Package:

1 x VGA to TV converter

1 x VGA male to male cable

1 x S-Video male to male cable

1 x RCA male to male cable

1 x USB to power cable

User manual

Note:

US NTSC TV, both switch Jumpers Down. (PAL TV Both Jumpers Up)

Sometime you may get some weird scan lines if you set the display to certain resolutions. Just need a little adjustment on Resolution.

SDTV resolution is like 640x480 so things are a bit squished making small text hard to read since a high resolution image on a low resolution screen. Recommend to use 800x600. It is good for video playback on TV.

Sometime the display colors is a little bit red, just need a little adjustment on color.

It support video sources with the resolutions from 640x480 up to 1280x1024

Return Policy

General Return Policy:

Return for refund within 30 days

Return for replacement within 180 days

Cheers and Regards

Here's a link to a new unit that I believe is similar to what puntoMX is talking about - http://www.meritline.com/vga-to-tv-converter---p-40917.aspx I don't see that it has the ability to convert wide screen to 4:3, but maybe puntoMX can provide a link to one that does? (I doubt it would be 15$USD though, but I could be wrong)

You are right, those are the VGA to TV boxes I was talking about, here on eBay you can get it even for 15USD with cables and all (how cheap can it be made?).

It has a zoom function so you can fill up the screen a bit more, but no idea how far you could zoom in. Combine this with a late model cheap video card and you have all the benefits, even more than the nVidia 8600, for modern video decoding. You can even use the video card you have now and set it to dual screen (not clone). I would leave it on the whole time so it will remember the settings. I don't know what the menu button does but it can't be bad. :lol:

Edited by puntoMX
Link added