Java 6 Update 32 fails to install...

I tested Windows 2000 English version which applied All Official Windows Update.(with out UUR and extendede kernel)

Of course You must install GDI+ and VC++2008runtime and .Net 2.0SP2 and roots update because JRE6 requires them.

Do you have the English language version of the Java 6 Update 37 package that can be installed without the extended kernel or the UURollup? If so, let me know.

I'm testing Java 6 Update 37 in a Win2K VMware VM and it still fails to install! :realmad:

I tested Windows 2000 English version which applied All Official Windows Update.(with out UUR and extendede kernel)

Of course You must install GDI+ and VC++2008runtime and .Net 2.0SP2 and roots update because JRE6 requires them.

Okay, in the stock Win2k VMware VM, I already have the GDI+, Visual C++ 2008 Runtime (both RTM and SP1) and .NET 2.0 SP2 installed already and still, Java 6 Update 37 would not install properly, complaining that regutils.dll is missing GetSystemWOW64DirectoryA couldn't be found in KERNEL32.DLL. :(

Keep in mind that Java 6 was compiled using Visual C++ 7.1 and not Visual C++ 2008.

I'm wondering if hex-editing out GetSystemWOW64DirectoryA or replacing the regutils.dll with the version from Java 6 Update 31 (file size: 278,528 bytes) will do the trick. I opened the EXE file using 7-Zip and it contains four files: zipper.exe, core.zip, regutils.dll and the zero-byte patchjre.exe. :whistle:

Simply replacing the regutils.dll with a older version was a no-go, because 7-zip threw up a error message, "Not implemented" and exits.

Already has the regutils.dll existed in %Programfiles%Java\Jre6\ when you install ?

Plz delete completely previous version folder before try to install it.

Okay, in the stock Win2k VMware VM, I already have the GDI+, Visual C++ 2008 Runtime (both RTM and SP1) and .NET 2.0 SP2 installed already and still, Java 6 Update 37 would not install properly, complaining that regutils.dll is missing GetSystemWOW64DirectoryA couldn't be found in KERNEL32.DLL. :(

Keep in mind that Java 6 was compiled using Visual C++ 7.1 and not Visual C++ 2008.

I'm wondering if hex-editing out GetSystemWOW64DirectoryA or replacing the regutils.dll with the version from Java 6 Update 31 (file size: 278,528 bytes) will do the trick. I opened the EXE file using 7-Zip and it contains four files: zipper.exe, core.zip, regutils.dll and the zero-byte patchjre.exe. :whistle:

Simply replacing the regutils.dll with a older version was a no-go, because 7-zip threw up a error message, "Not implemented" and exits.

Edited by blackwingcat

I can confirm that the Jre6u37W2K.exe available on bwc's blog site installs Java 6 Update 37 fine on win2k system SP4... updating from his Jre6u35W2K.. which was originally installed with Java 6 Update 31 directly from oracle.

If I remember correctly the original u35 update had to be run twice to work. I am not sure if that was because I had browser windows open or did not install it after a fresh reboot.

I installed Java 6 in the C:\Java directory and not in the C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\ directory as the installer does it by default...so, I'm afraid that it's not there.

The problem here is that the installer in Java 6 Update 32 and above would not run correctly, because of the GetSystemWOW64Directory entry point is found regutils.dll.

Already has the regutils.dll existed in %Programfiles%Java\Jre6\ when you install ?

But the installer which I created is replaced the dll.

I think that the problem was resolved.

I installed Java 6 in the C:\Java directory and not in the C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\ directory as the installer does it by default...so, I'm afraid that it's not there.

The problem here is that the installer in Java 6 Update 32 and above would not run correctly, because of the GetSystemWOW64Directory entry point is found regutils.dll.

Edited by blackwingcat

Thank you for telling me. However, the installer is in Japanese only. I was hoping that there is a English language version though. If there is, please let me know. :)

The installer detects system language.

If you use English environment installer select English, other one selected Japanese.

If you can't run installer in English.

extract it and run eninst.cmd manually.

Thank you for telling me. However, the installer is in Japanese only. I was hoping that there is a English language version though. If there is, please let me know. :)

• 2 months later...

Just a heads up for anyone interested.. blackwingcat has updated the java installer for 6u38

Java 6 Update 38 Installer for Windows 2000

thanks for that brother..

Yes I managed to instal it without a problem, thanks. :thumbup

Wish I could say the same for Flash Player. Last year I had it working through something called the w2k wrapper but now the newer versions just won't instal with the wrapper. I just get the procedure entry point not found error message. So I have to switch over to my newer Windows 7 latop for most video content. :angry:

@conductor71

was using the wrapper as well. it worked fine up to v11.2.202.235 for Firefox and v11.4.402.287 for IE. after that I had the same issues that you described.

blackwingcat has been releasing and updating a v10.3 installer for w2k. it seems that v10.3 has been continually updated by adobe.. it may be an option to investigate.

you can find bwc's installer page here: I made the latest Adobe Flash Player 10.3 installer [bM]

use google translate if necessary ;)

Thanks Yffffonz. I followed your link and have now managed to install BWC's January 2013 version of Flash 10.3.183.50. It is the first time in many months that I have had Flash working on my Win 2000 PC so I'm very happy, even though I've got the old picture stutter problem (it seems a lot of people have the same problem).

The only thing I would add is that it took me two attempts to get it installed properly. The second time I read the ReadMe file, but I have to admit that I found the ReadMe instructions a bit confusing. However, I realise that BWC doesn't have to do these things for us, so thanks anyway to BWC! :)

@conductor71, if you found the ReadMe confusing, but were able to get it to work, you might contribute to the community by posting an "improved" ReadMe so that others have better success.

Cheers and Regards