Java 6 Update 32 fails to install...

Have you tried to intsall Java 6u32 on a Windows 2000 or a Windows XP-based machine? On my Windows 2000-based PC, it's telling me that for some reason, the installation has failed and the Java website hasn't been a help.

This is the error message that I've been getting:

Installation Failed

The wizard was interrupted before Java(TM) 6 Update 32 could be completely installed. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again.

Click "OK" to exit the wizard.

On the Java website, it claims that "The actual root cause of this issue is still under investigation. This error indicates that the Java installation process has failed."

Is there any way to workaround this issue? :(

Update: I checked the installation sizes of jre-6u31-windows-i586-s.exe and jre-6u32-windows-i586.exe and I found that the size of the installer was reduced by 212 KB to 16.2 MB. I installed Java 6 Update 31 and it worked fine without any problems. I already extracted the installation of Java 6u32 on Drive D to investigate.

Edited by ppgrainbow

• 2 weeks later...

I researched this problem.

BWC Blog(JP)

J6u32 includes GetSystemWow64DirectoryA in regutils.dll

I reported here

Have you tried to intsall Java 6u32 on a Windows 2000 or a Windows XP-based machine? On my Windows 2000-based PC, it's telling me that for some reason, the installation has failed and the Java website hasn't been a help.

Installation Failed

The wizard was interrupted before Java(TM) 6 Update 32 could be completely installed. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again.

On the Java website, it claims that "The actual root cause of this issue is still under investigation. This error indicates that the Java installation process has failed."

Update: I checked the installation sizes of jre-6u31-windows-i586-s.exe and jre-6u32-windows-i586.exe and I found that the size of the installer was reduced by 212 KB to 16.2 MB. I installed Java 6 Update 31 and it worked fine without any problems. I already extracted the installation of Java 6u32 on Drive D to investigate.

Thank you so much for telling me! :)

Java 6 (which was complied using Visual Studio .NET 2003) is still supported on Windows 2000, but with update 32, the screwed up by adding GetSystemWow64DirectoryA, a dependency that doesn't exist on Win2k, but on Windows XP SP1 and later.

As you may have also know this, Java 6 will soon be EOL'd in not too many months from now. Originally, the EOL date for Java 6 was on July 2012, but it has now been extended to no later than November 2012. no exact EOL date for Java 6 has been made at this time. Additionally, extended support for the compiler to the Java Runtime Environment, Visual Studio .NET 2003 (VS 7.1) ends on 9 April 2013.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

same issue with Java 6u33. It did not get fixed.

@BlackWingCat et al, is there a workaround for installing the Java 6 updates on Windows 2000?

The problem might be that this bug might not even get fixed as Java 6 will hit EOL sometime this November. So far, no one has even voted for that bug. :(

So far, no one has even voted for that bug.

I guess the voting is something internal and not for users... :o

That's what I've been thinking. It's obvious that the dependency issue will never get fixed for sure.

I researched this problem.

BWC Blog(JP)

J6u32 includes GetSystemWow64DirectoryA in regutils.dll

I reported here

Installation Failed

@BWC I see on your blog the last statement (translated) is: It's. No problem if extended kernel bug

does that mean that u32 and u33 can be installed on Win2K with the extended kernel? or is there no way to install the last few updates?

I am having a little trouble understanding the translation.

Thanks

Hi.

Yes you can install u32 and u33 with extended kernel.

I tried to install u33 with v15 extended kernel.

It works fine.

@BWC I see on your blog the last statement (translated) is: It's. No problem if extended kernel bug

does that mean that u32 and u33 can be installed on Win2K with the extended kernel? or is there no way to install the last few updates?

I am having a little trouble understanding the translation.

Thanks

So, I think

拡張カーネルなら問題なし.バグだね

should be translated as "The bug is not a problem if the extended kernel is used."

Right?

If I translate it to English.,

There is no problem with extended Kernel. It is just a bug that in Java 6 Update 32/33.
Edited by blackwingcat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Which version of the Kernel Ex is safe to download as there are lots of links on the above page and it is not altogether clear.

I am running an original 12-year old Intel Pentium III desktop, 866 Mhz processor, 256 MB RAM, all official Windows 2000 security updates installed until support ended in June 2010, plus the new update from this month (KB2722913) after reading about that. I also use Office 2000 and Outlook Express on this PC.

I have newer laptops running Windows XP and Windows 7 but there is one good reason why I still use the old Win 2k machine a lot: because for many months my wifi adaptor can pick up a strong unencrypted wifi signal from a neighbouring property when used on the Win 2k PC, even though the signal is invisible when you scan for it (it connects automatically when I switch on my PC). However, despite many attempts, I cannot detect nor connect to this same free wifi signal using the same adaptor in exactly the same location on either of my laptops. Therefore my old Win 2k PC is saving me a lot of money each month in broadband fees which I would otherwise have to start paying again. For this reason, I would like to keep using it for as long as possible. I can only presume that the reason I can connect to this wifi on my old PC whereas on my other computers I can't must be something to do with the Windows 2000 operating system itself.

I would also like to see any relevant instructions on how to download Kernel Ex, or is it just a case of downloading it and then running it? Which folder do you put it in and do you have to remove any other installed security updates first?