Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

I've managed to set up a website:

http://www.windows2000.tk

I want to store there all information, details and links related to USP 5.2 and other packages. Of course I'll update this topic too :)

Any comments or critique is welcomed. Please tell me if there is something missing, something more to add or if there are any errors. I've added the URL together with the icon (thanks bphlpt!) to my signature.

There is a bug in HFSLIP. If you use HFSLIP to slipstream USP5 or if you use HFSLIP to process a source with USP5 integrated then (until HFSLIP is fixed) you must add this line to "SOURCESS\I386\SVCPACK.INF" after using HFSLIP:

SETUPUSP.EXE /Q /N /Z

Edited by tomasz86

Hey I'm interested in testing too. I forgot where we left off our discussion on all the post SP5 hotfixes but I have collected ALL post SP5 hotfixes-by-request updates for Windows 2000 and would like to share them if it helps. Did I upload them or not I don't remember. Anyways, I uploaded them here: http://sdrv.ms/NdoUGA Long overdue.

Edited by xpclient

I'm thinking about making test versions public. I want to do it because (after a few weeks of testing) I've got a feeling that this project is much more difficult than than all the previous packages I've prepared up to now. Preparing and testing single updates or even update rollups is extremely easy compared to this thing... What's important is that testing a service pack takes a lot more time and I'm just unable to do it all myself. I'm very thankful to all of people already involved in testing but I think we need more people and more input. If we don't do it then it will take forever to finish the USP :ph34r:

First of all, I think the current testing process must be simplified. At the moment HFSLIP must be used to slipstream UURollup in order to have the USP integrate and install properly. I'd like to avoid this as it just takes too much time to process the package through HFSLIP. Starting from the next test version I'll make it possible to slipstream the USP using the "/integrate" switch and prepare an ISO directly from it without using other tools (HFSLIP, nLite, etc.). I've already prepared a script which will automatically create the ISO after slipstreaming. Maybe later Qemu could be also used so the whole procedure will be simplified as much as possible.

As soon as possible I'll provide an URL where all test versions of USP will be located. Everyone will be able to download and test them. I'm going to upload new versions very often (being realistic it'll be probably one version every few days). All changes done in each build will be also described in details.

What's your opinion about it?

I say make 'em public. It seems stable enough to me for people to test it outside of the select few current testers. Besides, I only test on virtual machines - making it public should allow for more types of hardware to test on.

I'll try to upload the test builds as soon as possible.

By the way, I've tried Qemu and, while it's very easy to run and make everything automatic with just one click, the problem is that it's very slow compared to VirtualBox. I wonder if it's a problem related to the particular version or is is a general problem of Qemu under Windows? Could anyone more knowledgeable about it clarify? Is there any specific version of Qemu you would recommend?

Edited by tomasz86

I'm also thinking about remaking all .NET Framework addons to integrate them directly into the USP. I find these CAB addons quite problematic and have got too little control of them in the current state. It's not an easy task, especially in case of .NET 3.0 and 4.0 as they are pretty massive but I think I'll give it a try. At the moment .NET Framework CABs are used in the test versions but I'll remove them in the future ones.

Edit: I've just managed to remake the .NET 1.0 installer. Frankly speaking, it was a piece of cake. Preparing .NET 1.1 should be similarly easy. On the other hand, hell starts from .NET 2.0 and 4.0 seems be the worst one. The INF file itself is over 2 MB.

Edited by tomasz86

I have added a link to the first post where you can find test versions.

At the moment there is available only the .NET Framework 1.0 installer I talked about above.

This is the testing procedure:

1. Download and unpack the .7z package.

2. Install using update\update.exe.

3. Uninstall.

4. Reinstall

5. Uninstall.

6. Send / upload the two files from your %systemroot% (usually C:\WINNT) directory: NETFX10.log & NETFX10Uninst.log.

7. Report any errors (you can do it in this topic or send me a PM).

.NET Framework 1.0 requires only SP4 to be present. I'll be very thankful for testing it because if everything is OK then I can use the same method for other Frameworks :)

Edited by tomasz86

Hi tomasz86,

Me too i,m a Windows 2000 Addict, so i'd like to know and ask if there will be any global version of this astonishing project

as, for example, the Windows2000-UURollup-v3a-x86-Global.exe.

By the way and out of context i,ve installed your Unofficial Updates Rollup and it's working perfectly and smoothly: GREAT WORK!

So, if I can be of help in some way for the italian part of the global version let me know

thanks and regards

hackeronte