Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Just a quick update, as I decided not to pay for the "windowsarchives.com" domain any more, and it has recently expired. The reason is that I have other things, unrelated to Windows, which I also want to share, so I would rather use and pay for just one single domain under my own name, and keep all the other things in their respective subfolders. I am sorry for the inconvenience and I hope you will understand :).

Anyhow, the Windows Archives website is, of course, not dead, and from now on will be available under https://twilczynski.com/windows.

• 3 months later...

Just to add a note, something in the unofficial 5.1 service pack by Gurgelmeyer is breaking the connection between my iPod Nano 1st Gen and iTunes (Windows 2000 cannot recognize it anymore). When I do a clean install up to the SP4, the iPod works again flawlessly. I thought it was worth mentioning here because maybe the problem would persist with the USP 5.2 if it were unnoticed. The iPod is seen by Device Manager as an yellow flagged "USB Mass Storage Device" and not seen as a drive nor seen as a device by iTunes when I apply all the hotfixes.

Yes, the USP 5.1 installs buggy USB drivers from one of the hotfixes. Check 

for details. That is one of the reasons why I do not recommend using it, and rather slipstream/integrate everything separately, excluding the problematic files.

Edited by tomasz86

11 hours ago, tomasz86 said:

Yes, the USP 5.1 installs buggy USB drivers from one of the hotfixes. Check 

for details. That is one of the reasons why I do not recommend using it, and rather slipstream/integrate everything separately, excluding the problematic files.

I basically fixed it by doing a backup of these drivers before updates so I could put them baack. Worked wonders

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, I can no longer recommend slipstreaming .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 using the HFSLIP 2000 FullPack, as it breaks Sony Vegas Pro 10 with a "failed to initialize script runtime" error.

I removed the slipstreamed .NET 2.0, ran the standalone installer and now it loads.

Everything else has been running smoothly on my main machines though. :)

• 11 months later...

Hey all, long time no see. Been out of the loop due to IRL issues and such over the past few years. Haven't done a slipstream of 2k since 2014ish.

I am in the process of putting together a new machine to run not only win2k, but also win98.

I am sure there has been some major updates and developments done on win2k since then (7 years).

Instead of me trying to go through 7 years of post and try to figure-out and piecemeal the most recent version of things, could someone kindly guide me to the link(s) to the most updated/best versions as of Jan of 2021?

Thanks in advance!

Nothing has really changed much since 2014. You can still check the updates list at https://twilczynski.com/windows/updates/, although the last update to the site was in 2017, and I am quite sure that many of the official MS links to specific updates are dead by now. I would need to go through everything and fix the broken URLs, but this is quite a massive job, so I will likely not be able to do anything about it in the near future.

If you want to follow the easiest path, then just grab the FullPack from my download Archive, and then use it to slipstream everything into your clean Windows 2000 ISO. There have been reports about problems with the unofficial .NET Framework addons, so you may want to omit those, and use the official .NET installers from MS to install .NET manually later. Also, for unofficial updates, please check the @blackwingcat's content.

Lastly, if you intend to run HFSLIP in newer versions of Windows, remember to always run it as Administrator, or otherwise some of the packages will not be able to slipstream correctly. Please let me know if you go the FullPack route and encounter any problems. I personally did my last slipstreaming session about 1 year ago, and everything seemed to integrate properly under Windows 10.

Edited by tomasz86

On 7/29/2019 at 2:24 AM, Tommy said:

Also, I'm wondering, would it ever be possible to ever include the DirectX 10 stub from Blackwingcat or would this be one of those things that unless the unofficial packages were integrated, then it wouldn't work properly because of the missing dependencies? I made a few changes to his packages. Like the one released only for the Japanese language of extended core (16d), that contained a small fix for dual monitor support that the latest English version (16a) did not. There was a glitch in videoprt.sys that prevented dual monitors from working at all and all you could do is replace videoprt.sys manually or remove the extended core entirely, I think 14b was the last package that worked correctly and 14c and 16a both had the bad file in it. My new batch based on 16a includes the newer 16d videoprt.sys since it is language neutral and doesn't require any translating.

On my environment, dual display works fine, so I can't fix this problem for a long time.

If there are anyone who test my patch on themselves envrionment , I can fix it :3

Edited by blackwingcat

12 hours ago, blackwingcat said:

On my environment, dual display works fine, so I can't fix this problem for a long time.

If there are anyone who test my patch on themselves envrionment , I can fix it :3

I would love to test it, but unfortunately I haven't had a dual monitor setup for over a year now since I replaced my smaller monitors with a 32in one. 

• 1 year later...
25 minutes ago, Taiga-chan said:

Has this project been cancelled? I want to know how to make service packs.

Are you asking about just the service pack? If that's the case, then essentially "yes". The list of updates is still available at my site at https://twilczynski.com/windows. It's not the absolute latest though, as there are at least several more Windows XP POSReady and Server 2003 updates that could be ported, and of course there is the whole BlackWingCat's kernel with its all unofficial modifications. Also, many old Microsoft update links are no longer available.

If you're still interested in the technicalities of building Windows updates and/or service packs, I'd suggest to look up old forum posts by Gurgelmeyer (the original creator of the USP 5), BlackWingCat, myself, and everything related to the unofficial SP4 for Windows XP. Unfortunately, the information is scattered all over the place, so you may need to spend some time on the research. It would be nice to have everything compiled into a single source, but it is what it is :sneaky:.

Edited by tomasz86

1 hour ago, tomasz86 said:

Are you asking about just the service pack? If that's the case, then essentially "yes". The list of updates is still available at my site at https://twilczynski.com/windows. It's not the absolute latest though, as there are at least several more Windows XP POSReady and Server 2003 updates that could be ported, and of course there is the whole BlackWingCat's kernel with its all unofficial modifications. Also, many old Microsoft update links are no longer available.

If you're still interested in the technicalities of building Windows updates and/or service packs, I'd suggest to look up old forum posts by Gurgelmeyer (the original creator of the USP 5), BlackWingCat, myself, and everything related to the unofficial SP4 for Windows XP. Unfortunately, the information is scattered all over the place, so you may need to spend some time on the research. It would be nice to have everything compiled into a single source, but it is what it is :sneaky:.

I'm trying to study on XP x64 (I'm trying to start writing a small update though).
I do many languages
I've never done Windows 2000.

If anything helps to build it, great.

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

hi all , does any one has install Windows 2000 on new hardware with out PS/2 ? , i have a problem in text mode of installation the keyboard doesn't work .

@tomasz86 any solution ?

Edit : it was fixed by hfslip 2014 of blackwingcat .

Edited by windows2

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, NovaRain said:

Would be nice if the USB fix for the text mode can be integrated in @tomasz86's HFSLIP2000-FullPack (preferably with .NET addon fixed). I downloaded blackwingcat's pack but don't know where to look at.

To be honest, I haven't touched anything related to the project for a long time. HFSLIP is capable of integrating text mode drivers though. As for the .NET addon, we'd need to test whether the addon works if installed after the OS installation. If it does, then this would mean that HFSLIP and its slipstreaming method are the culprit. However, if it does not, then that would mean that there is a problem with the addon itself. If that ends up being the case, then either someone would have to look into the addon and fix the problem, or we would simply have to use the official .NET installers (and the later patches) instead of the unofficial addons.