Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

17 hours ago, Anixx said:

The IPv6 protocol support update for Win2000 has been removed from MS site but can be found in Web Archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070129075223/http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/b/a/4ba76461-31be-49df-a2c6-7d0ee318d1e9/tpipv6-001205.exe

Also, I wonder whether you include the fix for the 4 GB memory limit (which can be removed with changing 1 byte).

I will have to check whether the IPv6 files can be integrated with HFSLIP. If yes, then I am all for including them in the list.

As for the 4GB memory limit, do you mean using PAE to access more than 4GB in Windows 2000 Pro? That I cannot officially add since 1) the system files themselves would have to be modified, and 2) it would technically break the Windows 2000 Professional license.

1 hour ago, Anixx said:

Your update page mostly lists English-language updates. What does it mean in practical sense?

I am not sure which part of my post you are addressing now, but the updates are actually available to download in all supported languages. The default URL is ENU while the rest is listed below like this.

2017-10-01-15-30-23-5467808.png.50e3d761c5a8ae5a3f442f852a7e737c.png

The ones where only specific languages are available are clearly marked so.

2017-10-01-15-31-33-6371570.png.f41128cae11199ecda532b04883b25d1.png

Some updates are language neutral / multilanguage which means that they can be applied to any language version of the OS.

2017-10-01-15-31-51-8327648.png.9085a871d127b00bd42cb67a8e132d5e.png

Edited by tomasz86

Hello, sorry if this was asked before, but is there a package .NET framework 4.0 on your website that I can install manually after I install blackwingcat's kernel extension? The one listed under the Windows XP update section can only be slipstreamed.

Edited by tf311

18 hours ago, tf311 said:

Hello, sorry if this was asked before, but is there a package .NET framework 4.0 on your website that I can install manually after I install blackwingcat's kernel extension? The one listed under the Windows XP update section can only be slipstreamed.

On the website, no. There was a package in the Download Archive but I removed all unofficial packages from there during the last cleanup as for now I just want to keep the Archive synchronized as much as possible with the site content only. Also, there are too many outdated files there that are simply dangerous to use for people who have no idea what is what.

However, I have just reuploaded the files to a different folder in MEGA which you can access under https://mega.nz/#F!SlACALYL!9eek__QpDtB4CIqLR_hUDQ. I am not going to put this link on the site, but maybe I will add it to the first post in this thread later. You can find there the latest compilation of the combined .NET Framework installer. It covers all versions from 1.0 to 4.0 and can be installed like any other Windows update. The installer is from December last year so it may be missing a few security fixes. Of course, it requires the BWC kernel, both to install and to work later.

For the record, the XP addon can actually be installed manually (from a command line) but it itself is not compatible with Windows 2000. That is why in my combined installer I had to modify several parts of the installation process to make it compatible with the OS.

Edited by tomasz86

2 hours ago, tomasz86 said:

On the website, no. There was a package in the Download Archive but I removed all unofficial packages from there during the last cleanup as for now I just want to keep the Archive synchronized as much as possible with the site content only. Also, there are too many outdated files there that are simply dangerous to use for people who have no idea what is what.

However, I have just reuploaded the files to a different folder in MEGA which you can access under https://mega.nz/#F!SlACALYL!9eek__QpDtB4CIqLR_hUDQ. I am not going to put this link on the site, but maybe I will add it to the first post in this thread later. You can find there the latest compilation of the combined .NET Framework installer. It covers all versions from 1.0 to 4.0 and can be installed like any other Windows update. The installer is from December last year so it may be missing a few security fixes. Of course, it requires the BWC kernel, both to install and to work later.

For the record, the XP addon can actually be installed manually (from a command line) but it itself is not compatible with Windows 2000. That is why in my combined installer I had to modify several parts of the installation process to make it compatible with the OS.

Thank you!

12 hours ago, tf311 said:

Thank you!

No problem :P.

There are some other packages in that archive which you will likely not find anywhere else (like WIC). I should probably tidy it up a little bit to remove everything obsolete and leave only the stuff that is still viable. For now I have just removed all old daily and weekly releases of the .NET Framework and UURollup so that only last three are left.

The other reason to do so was to free some space up. That is why I am also thinking of using 7-Zip to pack all the official updates by folder (so that the folder "180410" becomes "180410.7z") so that you would be downloading all language versions of each update in one package. This would also help preserve the original time stamps just in case something goes wrong and their get modified / reset. From my calculation it would be possible to gain around 2.5 GB this way, despite the fact that the original packages themselves are already packed with SFXCAB.

These are still only plans so everyone interested please let me know if you have any objections.

5 hours ago, Anixx said:

What about adding the Microsoft's Calculator Plus?

Unfortunately it is not compatible with Windows 2000. Firstly, the installer and the executable themselves are blocked from running in the OS. Secondly, although the executable does run when forced to start in XP compatibility mode, the UI is somewhat broken. Specifically, the default theme is broken and, what is more important, the drop-down menus do not display correctly and you have to use a keyboard to navigate through them. In this state I would be against adding it.

On a side note, there might have been no visible changes on my site, but I have in fact been working on several improvements lately. I realised that the majority of the KB Article URLs were no longer working, so I have changed all of them to go through the Wayback Machine. Even though some of them do still function, I have decided that it would be too much work to keep checking them individually whether a particular link is still working or not. It may be slower to get to the sites, but at least all of them should be accessible now.

I am also working on listing files installed by each update, as I removed the old, inaccurate list some time ago. This time I am not even looking at the information provided by M$. I am checking everything myself with HFSLIP which is time consuming because each update has to be checked separately in order to know for sure what it changes. The lists of files provided by HFSLIP for each slipstreamed update is useless as the updates processed later may (and often do) replace the previously slipstreamed files. In the process I have actually managed to speed HFSLIP up by ~30% (from 17 to 11 minutes) by changing the slipstream related code.

Edited by tomasz86

4 hours ago, tomasz86 said:

Specifically, the default theme is broken and, what is more important, the drop-down menus do not display correctly and you have to use a keyboard to navigate through them. In this state I would be against adding it.

This is sad. At least on my Win 8.1 it works well. So maybe it deserves inclusion into the list of updates for Windows XP? It was removed from the MS site and I had hard time finding its version in my language (there are different versions for different languages). Only found it on some totally third-party site, even not in Web Archive.

14 hours ago, tomasz86 said:

In the process I have actually managed to speed HFSLIP up by ~30% (from 17 to 11 minutes) by changing the slipstream related code.

Have you released these improvements to HFSLIP yet?  The last version I see on your site is 1.0.2.

By the way, I don't know if I'll ever need them, since I've been exclusively using Win7 for the last few years, but I just finished downloading the complete Archive and Archive2.  All 12,154 files and 25,490,107,948 bytes. :)  Consider it another off-site backup in case you need it.

Cheers and Regards

On 10/5/2017 at 8:11 PM, Anixx said:

This is sad. At least on my Win 8.1 it works well. So maybe it deserves inclusion into the list of updates for Windows XP? It was removed from the MS site and I had hard time finding its version in my language (there are different versions for different languages). Only found it on some totally third-party site, even not in Web Archive.

While I did manage to find the original direct URLs to the MSI files, they are useless, as they have not been archived by the Wayback Machine. The files themselves are indeed available to download from other sources, but I doubt that it will be possible to find all the language versions, so at this point I am kind of skeptical about including it.

On 10/6/2017 at 6:12 AM, bphlpt said:

Have you released these improvements to HFSLIP yet?  The last version I see on your site is 1.0.2.

Not yet. The changes are still in the testing phase. What I have managed to do though is to upload the whole HFSLIP2000 script to GitHub!

https://github.com/tomasz1986/HFSLIP2000

I have re-done all changes one by one, starting from the original HFSLIP, so that everything is properly documented. They may not be 100% in sync with the currently available HFSLIP2000 script as in the process I have found better / more proper ways to do certain things, but they should still be identical in terms of functionality.

What took the longest in the original HFSLIP was unpacking and processing of the type 1 (HF1) updates. I was thinking about how to speed things up and came up with a solution where all the updates are unpacked simultaneously first and only processed later. The only disadvantages are that the unpacked updates require more disk space than when they are unpacked one by one, and that the CPU may be bogged down for a few seconds until the unpacking is finished. The speed benefits are instantly visible though. The specific commit is https://github.com/tomasz1986/HFSLIP2000/commit/b7d6a062085105a957491eb80144ff12cf88a3f6 so feel free to have a look if you are interested.

Due to importance of the changes, the upcoming version of HFSLIP 2000 will be called 1.1.0.

On 10/6/2017 at 6:12 AM, bphlpt said:

By the way, I don't know if I'll ever need them, since I've been exclusively using Win7 for the last few years, but I just finished downloading the complete Archive and Archive2.  All 12,154 files and 25,490,107,948 bytes. :)  Consider it another off-site backup in case you need it.

Cheers and Regards

I am all for it :D. I have always worried that everything would be lost if something happened to me or the files. It is always nice to have multiple backups. Once M$ finally removes everything from their servers, I doubt there will be any other place to download them (in the whole Internet).

Edited by tomasz86

• 2 weeks later...

tomasz86: You should put a backup on archive.org, one big rar file, because it's DMCA exempt.

That's why you see complete single file rom collections on there, and they are not take down!

Maybe the BetaArchive FTP server as well? They would most likely be up for it.

On 10/20/2017 at 8:48 AM, petrus said:

tomasz86: You should put a backup on archive.org, one big rar file, because it's DMCA exempt.

That's why you see complete single file rom collections on there, and they are not take down!

Maybe the BetaArchive FTP server as well? They would most likely be up for it.

I will think about although the Archive at this point is still not static, i.e. I have been adding files to it (new updates, XP updates, etc.) and removing others. I do submit the site to the Wayback Machine manually each time I have done a major update so they should have already archived most of the files listed there.