Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

1 hour ago, tomasz86 said:

That is the easiest way :P. This will not be unattended though.

I would also suggest to add the registry setting for CPU number together with the Core. BlackWingCat uses several registry files for different numbers of CPU/cores but I have just always set it to 32. This is what 2K Datacenter Server uses, and the number is always 32, regardless of the actual CPU/core number in a particular system.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"RegisteredProcessors"=dword:00000020

"20" is "32" in hex.

Thanks 

Just a small cosmetic update to my site today (polished the icons, etc.), but I have been preparing several major updates which should be ready in the very near future, so stay tuned.

On 8/28/2017 at 1:47 AM, madmax said:

Where can I get wbemoc.cab ? Cant find it anywhere.

EDITL: after 15min of searching i found it http://web.archive.org/web/20160528163801/http://hfslip.altervista.org/hfslip/wbemoc.zip

Yeah, I also link to the archived version of the @Mim0's site for anything HFSLIP related (for now but this will change shortly). Browsing it is a little bit painful due its broken navigation with non-working internal links, but at least it is still available so I will not complain.

As for the file itself, I do not have it on my site as it is not needed for 2K. Windows Update will not work properly anyway with all the XP/2003 updates integrated into the system.

Edited by tomasz86

What exactly is HFSLIP2000? forgive me for my ignorance, but is it like an windows update replacement? How is it used and what are the benefits?

Thank you.

15 hours ago, ir0n said:

What exactly is HFSLIP2000? forgive me for my ignorance, but is it like an windows update replacement? How is it used and what are the benefits?

Thank you.

In short, HFSLIP is used to slipstream (integrate) updates into Windows 2000/XP/2003. The point is to add the updates in advance, before the actual system installation. This way the system has all the newest files already in it, and there is no need to install all the updates one by one. This is important especially in cases like Windows 2000 where there are almost 400 updates and hotfixes released after SP4 to install. In addition, slipstreaming the newer files helps reduce the system partition size, improves system security, and also increases compatibility with newer drivers. HFSLIP also allows to integrate many files and components that would otherwise be very difficult to install manually (such as XP/2003 files for Windows 2000).

If you are interested in HFSLIP in details, just follow the two links (Wikipedia and @Mim0's site) listed in the HFSLIP subpage on my website. HFSLIP 2000 is a slightly modified (by myself) version of the original HFSLIP. The main difference is that with HFSLIP 2000 you can directly slipstream Windows XP/2003 updates into Windows 2000 source which is impossible with just HFSLIP.

By the way, as we are talking about HFSLIP, I am planning to push HFSLIP 2000 to GitHub in the near future, so that everyone will be able to see what has exactly been modified (without comparing the files manually). This will be helpful for others, and also for myself in tracking the history of changes.

Edited by tomasz86

Hmm.. the "Basic how-to" link is broken, but this would defiantly save time on fresh installs if I can figure it out. Lol so far I've downloaded the Fullpack and that's about it. :P

Thank you!

11 minutes ago, ir0n said:

Hmm.. the "Basic how-to" link is broken, but this would defiantly save time on fresh installs if I can figure it out. Lol so far I've downloaded the Fullpack and that's about it. :P

Thank you!

The link is broken indeed (will fix it shortly), but you can still access the How-to if you copy and paste http://hfslip.altervista.org/hfslip-basics.htm into the Wayback Machine. If you have downloaded the full pack, then all you need is to copy (unpack) your Windows source into the SOURCE folder, and then run the HFSLIP script. Remember that the script must be run as Administrator in newer versions of Windows (also should be automatized later).

On a side note, I have just realised that M$ has removed the majority of old KB articles from their site. It was a good idea to gather all those hotfixes by request in the last few years (both the files and the direct links). Otherwise everything would have been lost now.

Hello, can you please clarify whether your package includes the modified kernel, the fix for big HDs and the IPv6 protocol. Thanks.

Edited by Anixx

4 hours ago, Anixx said:

Hello, can you please clarify whether your package includes the modified kernel, the fix for big HDs and the IPv6 protocol. Thanks.

1. The unofficial kernel is not included on purpose. No unofficial updates that install modified system files are listed on my site. The only unofficial updates listed are the ones that are either compilations or repacked versions of the official M$ files. There are simply too many potential stability / security issues connected with the use of 3rd party-modified system files. That said, I have myself used the BWC / WildBill updates with success. However, for the updates lists I have decided to keep them clean to ensure maximum stability.

2. The "fix for big HDs" is done by HFSLIP itself on each run so there is no need to worry about it.

3. What exactly do you mean by "the IPv6 protocol"?

All in all, my package (a.k.a. the FullPack) consists only of the updates listed on my site. Nothing less, nothing more.

Edited by tomasz86

I have been working on a lot of updates recently, but I am struggling with time (as always :ph34r:). I still hope to finish the first phase of updates sometime next week. One important change is that I am moving the download Archive to MEGA completely. I simply need more space to upload the files and my Google Drive is only 20 GB which at the moment is almost full. Prove me wrong but I believe that MEGA is currently the only free cloud service with 50 GB of space.

Also, I am adding all of the HFSLIP related content from the archived @Mim0 site directly to mine. Of course, it is not simple copy & paste, but we really need to have everything in one place that is always available (as no one knows how long the archived site will last). The are also several other significant changes upcoming but I am going to reveal them only when everything is ready :P.

On this occasion, I would also like to say thank you to everyone who has donated through the link on my site. I have really not talked about it until now, but everything I have been doing related to Windows 2000 is driven purely out of passion (both mine and all the other people's here) with no commercial goal in mind. Nevertheless, it is always nice to see that there are people who want to show their appreciation for the project and support me more directly. On a side note, I know that the PayPal link still has "windows2000.tk" in it, but it seems that PayPal have changed their rules in between, and I am no longer able to edit the donate button's content with my free account. I should not matter though because the link does still work fine.

Edited by tomasz86

I have finally managed to finish working on the big update that I was talking about.

Please check the Changelog for all the details, but the most important changes are:

• Added a Windows XP updates list. It currently is based on the old @Mim0's list but will be updated later.
  • The lists are no longer sorted by component but rather treated as a whole (= all updates are always required).
  • Moved the Archive to MEGA. I needed more space to upload the files (now both for 2000 and XP).
  • Updated the HFSLIP2000-FullPack.

The most important change is obviously the first one ;). I wanted to do it for a long time but never had the time and enough motivation since the @Mim0's site was still working. However, as the site finally got archived and is now available only through the Wayback Machine, I decided that the time had come to move everything to one place. There is still a lot to do since the list at the moment is stuck in July 2014 but I am going to slowly update it in the near future.

As always, please let me know if there are any problems or if you have any suggestions.

Edited by tomasz86

2 hours ago, bphlpt said:

You need to check the links on your site itself.  Instead of windowsarchives com / changelog / etc, the links on the site are still listed as tomasz86 com / changelog / etc.  The info is in the correct place, it's just the links on the main (root) page of the site that are wrong.

Cheers and Regards

Thank you!

I knew that something was wrong but initially thought that it was caused by still ongoing DNS propagation (as I had just registered the domain). The site is hosted on Github Pages, and I use git in a Linux virtual machine to upload the files, while everything else is done under Windows. From my observations, there are sometimes issues when copying files using VirtualBox's shared folders between the host and the VM. This results in the files not being updated properly, even though they appear to be. Anyhow, everything should work fine now :).

I would also like to say a few words about the domain name though. I had been thinking about using a domain more meaningful than "tomasz86.com" which is directly connected with my name, and which I may actually want to use for something else too, not necessarily related with Windows. Of course, everything like "windows2000.com" or similar is taken, so I came up with Windows Archives that is itself derived from the Download Archive which has always been the integral part of my site (maybe even the most important part). I also think that Windows Archives properly describes what is being done here, which is archiving updates for Windows (2000 and XP, for now). Even the Updates Lists themselves serve the purpose with all the direct download links that I hope all will get archived / backed up by the Wayback Machine (and other Web archivers).

Everyone knows what happened with all the Windows NT or Windows 98 and older updates. They are gone and lost forever, unless someone made a complete backup copy in time. Even then, such a copy is likely available only for a specific language version of the OS (which is usually English). My goal is to have everything backed up, in all available languages.

To sum up, the website's new address is http://windowsarchives.com.

Edited by tomasz86

• 3 weeks later...
On 30.08.2017 at 8:34 PM, tomasz86 said:

3. What exactly do you mean by "the IPv6 protocol"?

The IPv6 protocol support update for Win2000 has been removed from MS site but can be found in Web Archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070129075223/http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/b/a/4ba76461-31be-49df-a2c6-7d0ee318d1e9/tpipv6-001205.exe

Also, I wonder whether you include the fix for the 4 GB memory limit (which can be removed with changing 1 byte).