Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

It is not dead at least as long as I am still here :P.

I just do not have much time to do any new work. I am definitely going to keep updating the website with new updates from XP POSReady. There may be delays though.

I am still unsure what to do about the domain. The .tk one is probably lost for ever so I have been thinking about registering (or rather buying) a new one but I do not really have ideas what to go for. All the good domains with "windows2000" or similar in their names are already taken so it would either have to be something long or very different.

9 hours ago, tomasz86 said:

It is not dead at least as long as I am still here :P.

I just do not have much time to do any new work. I am definitely going to keep updating the website with new updates from XP POSReady. There may be delays though.

I am still unsure what to do about the domain. The .tk one is probably lost for ever so I have been thinking about registering (or rather buying) a new one but I do not really have ideas what to go for. All the good domains with "windows2000" or similar in their names are already taken so it would either have to be something long or very different.

Hmmm, try going literal :w00t: :

https://it.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?domainToCheck=windowstwothousands.com&checkAvail=1

or become repetitive :ph34r:

https://it.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=win2k.win

https://it.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=windows2000windo.ws

https://it.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=win2000win.net

;)

More possibly suitable :whistle:

https://it.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=lastgoodwindows

https://it.godaddy.com/domains/searchresults.aspx?checkAvail=1&tmskey=&domainToCheck=2Kforever

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As spending some money for the hosting was inevitable, I have decided to go for something more generic.

http://tomasz86.com

I have also found out that some of the Wayback Machine links are not working any more. I hope I can find some time to have a closer look at them. You can also expect some small updates in the near future.

Edited by tomasz86

On 2017. 6. 18. at 8:08 PM, Dibya said:

@tomasz86 hi can i use your hsslip on win2k advance server ?

Yes, of course. "My HFSLIP" is just the old good HFSLIP with a few fixes / additions for Windows 2000 ;). It should work no differently with all the supported systems (2000, XP, 2003).

Just now, tomasz86 said:

Yes, of course. "My HFSLIP" is just the old good HFSLIP with a few fixes / additions for Windows 2000 ;). It should work no differently with all the supported systems (2000, XP, 2003).

Thanks I am making a new iso for fun on vm .

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update to my site today.

I have fixed all Wayback Machine links. Some of them were broken because the Machine for some reason keeps saving newer snapshots of the sites despite the fact that they do not longer work. I could link to specific snapshots by date, but instead I have just used a more universal approach by utilizing the * character. The links are not direct any more, meaning that you have to choose a specific date in order to download the files, but this way guarantees more compatibility and is more future proof.

Also, some time ago I started to use high contrast themes and realised that the site's layout had some issues with them. I have fixed most of them, so it should be easier to browse now if you have a high contrast theme turned on.

I hope I can manage to add some newer POSReady updates next time. Please also let me know if there are any broken links that I have missed. I have also just found out that the @Mim0's website on HFSLIP and XP updates is no longer functional. For now I have just changed the URL to go through the Wayback Machine, but I am seriously thinking of adding all the HFSLIP related information to my site directly. Due to my schedule I will not have time to spend on my site on weekdays for sure, but I should be able to find at least a few hours on weekends :).

Edited by tomasz86

• 2 weeks later...

I have created new subpages for HFSLIP and Changelog, and I have moved the related content there. They should now be easier to find and navigate. Next I am planning to add / write guidelines for HFSLIP. I have also made several minor visual changes to the site.

• 1 month later...

I have just updated my site. The update is important as I have finally managed to fix the performance issues and also added some new functionality.

You would not believe it but the reason why the Updates subpage was taking so long to load in Firefox (and other Gecko based browsers) was the large number of small images, such as the ones indicating a type of update and the flag images next to the language download links. Despite the fact that the images were identical and just repeated over and over on the page, Firefox was still struggling to render them. To fix the issue I have decided to remove the flags all together and simplify the language links so that they can be easily distinguished even without those tiny flag icons. I personally think that it looks better, takes less space, and also, most importantly, performs much, much better now. For example, on my computer it took up to 15 seconds to reload the page in Firefox, and now it takes 2 seconds at most, so the difference is massive. The page also loads faster in other browsers too, but the issue was not really that visible in them anyway.

Secondly, I have added toggles for different update types in each updates list. This functionality had actually been originally available when I took over the site a few years ago but I removed it later due to its poor performance and incompleteness. Now it is back and should work much better than before. I still need to add buttons to hide all "regular" updates too, but had no idea how to name it so I have just left it for the next update.

As always, check the Changelog for details and please let me know if you have any comments or if there are any problems with the new functionality.

Edited by tomasz86

Today I have done a major cleaning of all my threads both here at MSFN and also at the RyanVM board. I have not deleted anything but just made a clear distinction of what has been discontinued and what is still relevant. I have also finally updated the first post in this very thread so please check it ;). It does not bring anything new for those that have been actively following everything done here, but I still felt a need to tiny  things up a little bit.

You can also expect several important updates in the near future.

On 8/24/2017 at 0:44 AM, Dibya said:

hi tomasz86,

I want to add BWC ExKernel and Core in your HFSLIP Full pack . Please give a guide .

This will be tricky.

The BWC packages are structured almost identically to the official MS updates, but he uses custom installers on top of regular sfxcab (i.e. update.exe). Those installers are not supported by HFSLIP and I do not think they even support installation from command line. I think that the easiest method would be to repack the packages to "normal" sfxcab installers and then put them into HFSVCPACK_SW1. If you are interested in direct integration (from the HF folder) then it may work for the Core (after repacking) but not for the Kernel. The whole package would have to be restructured or even recreated as a true addon. I do not believe it is worth it though, unless you manage to write a script/program that would do such a task automatically, so that you can use it to repack future versions too.

That is why my own packages such as UURollup could not be slipstreamed from HF. I did manage to create several slipstreamable versions in the past, but it required me to manually add a lot of additional Run/RunOnce entries to the registry in order to install everything correctly.

On the other hand, an alternative method would be to modify HFSLIP itself to support BWC packages out of the box.

Edited by tomasz86

23 hours ago, Dibya said:

It will be easy to install once os is installed.  For the core I will do as you suggested as I need that for achi driver 

That is the easiest way :P. This will not be unattended though.

I would also suggest to add the registry setting for CPU number together with the Core. BlackWingCat uses several registry files for different numbers of CPU/cores but I have just always set it to 32. This is what 2K Datacenter Server uses, and the number is always 32, regardless of the actual CPU/core number in a particular system.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager]
"RegisteredProcessors"=dword:00000020

"20" is "32" in hex.

Edited by tomasz86