Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

excuse the dumb question but assuming one has a bog-standard SP4 installation, what update files I need to run for USP5.2 installation? Or atm the only package is the 5.1USP in /Gurgelmeyer/ folder?

On 2016년 6월 11일 토요일 at 2:19 AM, keropi666 said:

excuse the dumb question but assuming one has a bog-standard SP4 installation, what update files I need to run for USP5.2 installation? Or atm the only package is the 5.1USP in /Gurgelmeyer/ folder?

Unfortunately, no package for manual installation is available right now :( and I am against using the old Gurgelmeyer installer as it includes the buggy USB drivers!

I am more concentrated on slipstreaming everything with HFSLIP 2000. If you want to update your existing system, you may want to try the LightAlpha263's "repair" method (but remember to back everything up!)

On 2016년 6월 11일 토요일 at 4:16 PM, Dibya said:

how is health now ? tomasz

Still not good, but at least it is not getting worse. Thank you for asking anyway!

I should be able to update my site this week, and this time also add a few new updates to the list.

Edited by tomasz86

I have just updated my site!

I have added DirectX 9C Gaming June 2010 to the updates lists and also updated the visuals a little bit. It should now scale better to larger displays. I have also replaced the icons which should look much better now.

I have also started to replace the general M$ Catalog URLs with direct links. This way the updates can be downloaded with any browser (not just IE) and also the Wayback Machine should be able to index them (so we will be able to download the updates from the Machine even if M$ decides to remove the files from its servers). I am planning to replace the hotfixes' links later too. The whole process is very time consuming so I am going to do it gradually.

Please let me know if there are any issues or if something does not work :).

PS. I have also updated my HFSLIP package. It is called "HFSLIP2000-FullPack.7z" now and is available in the USP5 folder in the Download Archive.

Hi Tomas,

Your new site work wonderfully, i've downloaded HFSLIP2000-FullPack.7z from dropbox: everything fine!

As always, thanks a lot for your invalueble efforts to keep W2K alive...

Cheers...

P.S.

Take care of yourself, please...

The new site is great!

1. While I do think the site needed an icon update, it could've been a bit more retro yet modern. For example, a transparent box with a Windows XP logo on top of it. However, I'm fine with the new icons. They're good.

2. Try to use archive.org more than the update catalog, as we're aware of a 'site upgrade' for the catalog.

I'm curious as to if someone wrote an extended kernel for Windows 2000 that emulates Windows 7, and then installed the Windows 10 free upgrade update. That'd be funny. :lol:

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 4:07 AM, tomasz86 said:

Still not good, but at least it is not getting worse. Thank you for asking anyway!

I should be able to update my site this week, and this time also add a few new updates to the list.

Gah, how did I miss this? Take it easy, buddy. We all appreciate your work but we understand if you need to take it slow. Your health isn't worth pushing yourself over the edge. On the other hand, glad to see some progress is still being made on the project!

Thank you for all the kind words and support! I appreciate it a lot :thumbup

Just a quick update today. I have further updated the website code and layout, and have been steadily replacing the general M$ Catalog links with direct URLs. This is critical as only then the Wayback Machine will be able to archive them.

On 6/25/2016 at 2:51 AM, LightAlpha263 said:

1. While I do think the site needed an icon update, it could've been a bit more retro yet modern. For example, a transparent box with a Windows XP logo on top of it. However, I'm fine with the new icons. They're good.

Could you give any examples of the 'retro' looking icons? It is difficult to guess what kind of icons you exactly have in mind from the explanation alone :unsure:. I am open to any good ideas on how to improve both the site and everything else related to Windows 2000 :). The one thing which is good about the current icons is that they are consistent and available for free (as long as there is a contribution note) while some of the previous ones (the XP and 2K Server icons from M$, to be specific) were not. This does not mean though that they cannot be changed in case there are better alternatives!

Edited by tomasz86

13 minutes ago, tomasz86 said:

Could you give any examples of the 'retro' looking icons?

Hm. What I had in mind involved the older logos (which are owned by MS). Never mind, I like the update and it's great. Don't worry since the ideas I was gonna suggest are ones involving the MS ones.

12 hours ago, LightAlpha263 said:

Hm. What I had in mind involved the older logos (which are owned by MS). Never mind, I like the update and it's great. Don't worry since the ideas I was gonna suggest are ones involving the MS ones.

I am pretty sure that M$ is already not very happy about the whole Download Archive project, etc. so it is probably better not to tease them more with these tiny icons :P. Replications of the original M$ logos are fine though. I have, in fact, searched for free icons of the 2K Server logo but could not find anything, thus I decided to use the current icons.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just updated my website.

This is a very important update as I have finally replaced all general M$ Update Catalog links with direct URLs to the files (for all languages). This way they can be downloaded quickly with any browser and the Wayback Machine will be able to archive them too. One problem is that with all these links the website has been quickly gaining weight :(. While I am trying to do as much as much as possible to keep the load time and performance good, it may still work slower than before. Just let me know if there are any problems.

Now I am going to do the same with all the hotfixes and replace their links with direct URLs too. It is unknown for how long M$ is planning to keep the hotfix download infrastructure working...