Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

3 hours ago, OldSchool38 said:

I was running in windows xp, after shutting down the firewall-the new cd works just fine! :)

Only one problem now, after installing the HFSLIP disk-I installed the latest version of UURollup (last daily from 2014).  I then installed a tweaked video driver by BWC for my GT620 card which worked great.  I then tried to install the latest version of VLC media player with the compatibility tool-but when I tried to run a mp4 file the system locked up and I had to restart the computer, I dropped down to the 2.0 version of VLC but had the same thing happened!  Is VLC not compatible with UURollup?

I HAVE SEEN SOME ONE IN YOUTUBE TO USE VLC IN 2K

4 hours ago, OldSchool38 said:

I was running in windows xp, after shutting down the firewall-the new cd works just fine! :)

Only one problem now, after installing the HFSLIP disk-I installed the latest version of UURollup (last daily from 2014).  I then installed a tweaked video driver by BWC for my GT620 card which worked great.  I then tried to install the latest version of VLC media player with the compatibility tool-but when I tried to run a mp4 file the system locked up and I had to restart the computer, I dropped down to the 2.0 version of VLC but had the same thing happened!  Is VLC not compatible with UURollup?

Could you check https://potplayer.daum.net/ and let us know if it works?

I will try to test VLC later.

7 hours ago, tomasz86 said:

Could you check https://potplayer.daum.net/ and let us know if it works?

I will try to test VLC later.

I gave it a shot and got a 'dll.hacked' error and it wouldn't work, tried an earlier version of vlc and it wouldn't work either-it just froze the system, forcing me to restart! 

I think I'll just put XP on that machine! :(

Edited by OldSchool38

Well..before I give up-I'd like to try a couple more things. 

1. First I have a Win2k disk I Nlite'd Unoffical Pack 5 on a while back, I could try installing that and UUR2 (I know it's obsolete, but I never hand any issues with it-anyone have a link to that?), then UURollup and see how that functions.

2. I could reinstall my HFSLIP'd disk again and try BWC's extended kernel-but is there something like the compatibility launcher I can use to try VLC etc?

15 hours ago, OldSchool38 said:

I gave it a shot and got a 'dll.hacked' error and it wouldn't work, tried an earlier version of vlc and it wouldn't work either-it just froze the system, forcing me to restart! 

I think I'll just put XP on that machine! :(

I think you may have a graphics or sound card driver problem. Could you list your hardware?

I have just tested both VLC and PotPlayer in my test machine (HFSLIP2000 package + UURollup v11d20141130).

1. VLC works fine, including the newest version. I am using VLC Portable (and portable apps in general) because then you do not need to work around the installer being incompatible with Windows 2000.
2. PotPlayer's new versions do not work (hacked dll...) but old ones do. I will need to test each of them to determine which one broke the compatibility. Try to install PotPlayerSetup-1.6.51514.exe from http://videohelp.com/software/PotPlayer/old-versions. It is working fine here in my setup.
3. Just to confirm - I played three different MP4 files in both players with zero problems.

2 hours ago, OldSchool38 said:

Well..before I give up-I'd like to try a couple more things. 

1. First I have a Win2k disk I Nlite'd Unoffical Pack 5 on a while back, I could try installing that and UUR2 (I know it's obsolete, but I never hand any issues with it-anyone have a link to that?), then UURollup and see how that functions.

2. I could reinstall my HFSLIP'd disk again and try BWC's extended kernel-but is there something like the compatibility launcher I can use to try VLC etc?

1. I would not suggest that. You will end up with buggy USB drivers (due to USP5.1) and an incompletely updated system (UR2 does not cover all of the official updates).
2. First you could try to uninstall UURollup and install BWC kernel in your current configuration. The Compatibility Launcher is just a simple script file. You can find it in any UURollup package ('AppComp.cmd') :).

Edited by tomasz86

I was using a dell optiplex 330 tower with sound max drivers and a Geforce 620 card (using one of BWC's Nvidia drivers).  I tried uninstalling UUrollup and trying the BWC kernel, but it seems I'm just buggering things up more at this point.  I got a BSOD again so at this point I'm just going to use my XP/Vista reinstall disk for that system.  If I do another home build in the future, where I can check here for what's compatible, I'll give win2k another shot.

On 5/13/2016 at 11:45 AM, tomasz86 said:

2. First you could try to uninstall UURollup and install BWC kernel in your current configuration. The Compatibility Launcher is just a simple script file. You can find it in any UURollup package ('AppComp.cmd') :).

Then how does the extended kernel emulate NT 5.1+ if all it does is tell a program/program installer that it is NT 5.1? Does it even emulate it at all or does it just hope that the program installed won't have XP exclusive features that keep the program from functioning properly?

6 hours ago, Windows2000User said:

Then how does the extended kernel emulate NT 5.1+ if all it does is tell a program/program installer that it is NT 5.1? Does it even emulate it at all or does it just hope that the program installed won't have XP exclusive features that keep the program from functioning properly?

BlackWingCat has added many functions from newer versions of Windows to the kernel. Some of them are real, some of them are stubs. This way many programs that either use them or ask for them to be present work in our OS :).

My compatibility launcher script only tells the software that the OS is Windows XP. It is exactly the same as "run in compatibility mode" available in newer Windows. It will not help if the program actually requires some of the functions to work. It only helps when either the installer or the executable itself refuses to start. As in case of Firefox, the browser does work with the extended kernel but the installer will not run, thus you can use the compatibility launcher just to work around the installation.

Edited by tomasz86

I am writing just to provide a quick update on the current state of things.

It seems that all (?) Windows 2000 updates are gone from M$ website which means that the old URLs do not work any more. The majority of the updates seem to be still available in the Microsoft Update Catalog so for now I am just going to redirect the links there.

We cannot now how long they will keep the updates in the catalogue so I am going to gradually transfer the broken URLs to the Wayback Machine (or my download archive in case the update is not archived). It will be a very long process though (350+ updates, 24 languages each).

You can expect a big update to my website at the end of the week.

Edited by tomasz86

14 minutes ago, tomasz86 said:

It seems that all (?) Windows 2000 updates are gone from M$ website which means that the old URLs do not work any more. The majority of the updates seem to be still available in the Microsoft Update Catalog so for now I am just going to redirect the links there.

We cannot now how long they will keep the updates in the catalogue so I am going to gradually transfer the broken URLs to the Wayback Machine (or my download archive in case the update is not archived). It will be a very long process though (350+ updates, 24 languages each).

THank you

Do you planning to upload XP and 2k3 updates?

On 5/16/2016 at 7:56 AM, tomasz86 said:

BlackWingCat has added many functions from newer versions of Windows to the kernel. Some of them are real, some of them are stubs. This way many programs that either use them or ask for them to be present work in our OS :).

My compatibility launcher script only tells the software that the OS is Windows XP. It is exactly the same as "run in compatibility mode" available in newer Windows. It will not help if the program actually requires some of the functions to work. It only helps when either the installer or the executable itself refuses to start. As in case of Firefox, the browser does work with the extended kernel but the installer will not run, thus you can use the compatibility launcher just to work around the installation.

does win 7 compability script can be made?

6 hours ago, tomasz86 said:

Alright. Good sign, and perhaps try getting a link to the archive. Also, try to organize the archive.

6 hours ago, Dibya said:

does win 7 compability script can be made?

Yes. However, there may be functions that a Windows 7 Program would expect wouldn't be present in a 2000-Extended Kernel that is designed to run XP Programs. If an Extended Kernel is made and designed to emulate 7, then if it works, yes, a script can be made and Windows 7 Programs can run.