Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

I am in the process of moving the whole download archive from Google Drive to Dropbox.

I have been using Dropbox Pro for a few months which offers 1 TB of space to use. This should remove the current disk space constraints and also allow me to later add Windows XP and 2003 updates too (before M$ removes them from their servers). Dropbox also allows direct linking to the files which is not possible in Google Drive.

The new archive will be available as soon as I update my site in the near future. The current URL should remain accessible until then.

(At the moment all i can do is jump in here midstream conversation.)

I had inquired, i believe back on previous page 33 or 34 about updating Firefox 35.1. When i try to Go to Page# the search feature freezes.

I disabled the hardware acceleration in FF35.1 to keep from crashing as Tomasz had suggested, and 37.1 loaded in just fine however, even here on the MSFN topic board i am having some difficulty in navigating and searching various segments with FF 37.1.

I am finding that Javascript may be the possible difficulty and that Java 7 Update 79 was the last release for WinXp. Currently Java 8 Update 91 is the latest update however i cannot get it to update.

Is there a work around solution for this? At the moment i am trying to complete a current e-bay transaction and i'm dead in the water trying to go through the e-bay checkout system that interfaces with paypal.

Thanks in advance.

Javascript has nothing to do with Java Runtime Environment. You need not install Java at all, especially to browse the Web.

Strangely enough, Firefox (and other browsers too, such as Palemoon) does crash after installing the BlackWingCat's kernel using its default installation settings, but they seem to work fine with my last daily of UURollup (from 2014). I am writing this very post using the newest version of Firefox (v46.0.1) in Windows 2000.

Could you tell me exactly what kind of Windows setup you have? What updates are installed? Are you using the BWC kernel or UURollup?

Please try to download and run Firefox Portable, and tell me if it works or not.

2016-05-10-01-09-18-2945656.png

I would like to also make an inquiry onto this issue.

From what I can figure, the Extended Kernel helps emulate Windows XP. So as long as Firefox supports Windows XP, you're good to go in terms of updates. However, in the near future, Mozilla might end support for Windows XP, and thus, the Windows 2000 Extended Kernel. That is why I suggest using Firefox ESR on any legacy systems. It is a special version of Firefox that is given ONLY security updates for a full year. Active ESRs right now are Firefox 38 and 45. Their full current versions are 38.8.0 and 45.2.0 I believe. There is no version X.9.0 and after. After 8 major releases, the ESR version is discontinued. This means, however, that Mozilla can cancel support for Windows XP/2000+Extended-Kernel in say Firefox 50, but Firefox 45 ESR will likely remain supported until there are no more 45 ESR releases. Personally, I'd say run ESR 45. Just note that this is designed for businesses and enterprises that cannot afford a bug in the latest features and such, but we can't afford losing compatibility with Windows 2000, so it's pretty similar situations.

Also, my actual answer to this: Use the latest UUR from about 2014. It runs Firefox great, and almost is up-to-speed with my 2004 laptop on XP-POSReady2009. I think it's faster the last time I checked. This was a while back, I have yet to test it again as I mess with an old Dell Latitude C800 that is dual-booted with Windows 2000 and 98.

1 hour ago, Windows2000User said:

I would like to also make an inquiry onto this issue.

From what I can figure, the Extended Kernel helps emulate Windows XP.

Actually the Extended Kernel also adds a lot of Vista+ functionality. It went beyond Windows XP long time ago already.

My guess is that with the newest version of the kernel Firefox thinks the OS is NT 6.x and that is why it crashes. I am going to check what exactly is responsible for the issue though.

I will also likely update the UURollup in the near future so stay tuned. :)

Ok,

I removed Firefox along with Thunderbird, cleaned up my hard drive then reinstalled everything up to FF 35.1 - nothing in e-bay changed.
I downloaded and mounted FF 46.0.1 portable to a small slave drive and logged into my e-bay account and it still did not change my ability to process a transaction.
A transparent box should appear in the page center, which merges with PayPal to complete the financial process, nothing on this transaction page works except when I upgrade from FF35.1 to FF36.1 - FF37.1,  i can then select method of payment but when i click the submit button i get "NO" hover icon or striked out zero. It is as if all those functions are disabled from being used.

Maneuvering throughout e-bay or PayPal, no problems, everything seems perfectly normal, business as usual.

Just on the whole, e-bay's customer service suggested this morning to try a different browser like Google Chrome. I had just used e-bay's checkout like 3 weeks ago without a single problem.

Windows 2000 Professional

Internet Explorer 6

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

Unofficial Updates Rollup v11 [daily 20130616]

Unofficial Updates Rollup 2

Unofficial Service Pack 5.1

Adobe Flash player 21.0.0.213

Firefox 37.0.2

Thanks in advance for all the help

6 hours ago, NorthAzimuth said:

Windows 2000 Professional
Internet Explorer 6
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
Unofficial Updates Rollup v11 [daily 20130616]
Unofficial Updates Rollup 2
Unofficial Service Pack 5.1
Adobe Flash player 21.0.0.213
Firefox 37.0.2

Apart from the Unofficial Update Rollup 2 which is obsolete (but should not do any harm), and an older version of UURollup (the newest is d20141130) there is nothing strange here.

6 hours ago, NorthAzimuth said:

I removed Firefox along with Thunderbird, cleaned up my hard drive then reinstalled everything up to FF 35.1 - nothing in e-bay changed.
I downloaded and mounted FF 46.0.1 portable to a small slave drive and logged into my e-bay account and it still did not change my ability to process a transaction.
A transparent box should appear in the page center, which merges with PayPal to complete the financial process, nothing on this transaction page works except when I upgrade from FF35.1 to FF36.1 - FF37.1,  i can then select method of payment but when i click the submit button i get "NO" hover icon or striked out zero. It is as if all those functions are disabled from being used.

Maneuvering throughout e-bay or PayPal, no problems, everything seems perfectly normal, business as usual.

Just on the whole, e-bay's customer service suggested this morning to try a different browser like Google Chrome. I had just used e-bay's checkout like 3 weeks ago without a single problem.

This sounds strange. The browser should function properly unless there is some kind of a bug that breaks functionality in Firefox when run specifically in Windows 2000 (as it is the case with Chrome and JavaScript pop-ups).

Do you use any addons? If so disable them and try again.

Could you open https://www.whatismybrowser.com/ and show a screen shot of what it says under "Your web browser is" and "Your Web Browser's Capabilities"?

Thanks so much for the help Tomasz,

It was an app!! - installed in Firefox called thumbnail_zoom_plus-3.7-sm+fx.xpi
(I would have never thought of it!)
After you mentioned an app, i got to thinking of what was interfacing with my mouse cursor?
This app had auto updated about two week ago without realizing that i did not have auto update in FF unselected.

Obviously it was the recent update that was causing the issue because this app has been in Firefox for quite some time.
I installed FF12.0 with bookmarks, and went straight to e-bay check out and it worked just fine!!
I am now running FF37.1 and FF46.1 portable on a small slave.

(Just on the whole, when i booted up FF46.1 portable it would not work either in e-bay transaction page.
It must somehow? interface with some FF37.1 desktop files? (as It was still in when i tried it.) I got to learn some new things this week!

I was curious about your comments in regards to the rollups and was wondering if there were more current versions of these? and am i to understand that i need only to install v11 and 5.1? (I'm thinking about reformatting a fresh boot next week.) Where can i find the latest versions? I had read in one of your previous posts that you are doing some storage cleaning?

Win2K Unofficial Rollup - v11-d20130616-x86-ENU

Windows2000 - UpdateRollup-2-x86-ENU v 5.5.31.0

Win2K Unofficial Rollup SP-5.1 v 5.5.31.0

Thanks in advance for all the help

It is nice to hear that the issue has been solved :) and that Firefox itself is running fine in the system.

If you are starting from scratch then I would just recommend:

1. Download my my full HFSLIP package and use it prepare and install Windows.
2. Install either the newest daily release of UURollup or the BlackWingCat's kernel.
3. Install my .NET Framework package if you need it.

Of course, you will also need to install all the required drivers, etc. but those are hardware dependent.

The other packages are not needed. I would especially recommend not using USP5.1 which contains buggy USB drivers, and not using Update Rollup 2 which is obsolete and whose components are already included in the HFSLIP package.

The HFSLIP package itself is just a reflection of my website. It is easier to download everything together than downloading each update one by one. Keep in mind that the package is English only though.

To summarize, all the required links: full HFSLIP package, UURollup, .NET Framework combined installer.

I have been reorganizing everything but at the moment it is happening only on my computer locally ;). The website and the Download Archive will be updated only when everything is ready. The current version will stay unchanged until then. I am not making any changes on the fly.

Edited by tomasz86

Hi tomaz!  I've been dabbling with Linux the last few months, but due to the fact the newer versions don't support dialup internet (which is what I'll be back to in a few months) and the fact my favorite games are windows only-I've been messing around with XP/2000 again.

I tried to create an up to date HFSLIP disk for windows 2000, the program ran, added the various fixes to my win2k files and then created an ISO file I burned to a disk.  But when I tried to install it on one of my dell towers, it booted up and began to load various drivers as any installation normally does.  When it got to the point of starting windows 2000 for installation, I got a BSOD error showing a message that said:

"stop:0000221 Unknown Hard Error

\SystemRoot\System32\ntdll.dll"

Any clue on what happened?  Or did I screw something up with HFSLIP?

1 minute ago, OldSchool38 said:

Any clue on what happened?  Or did I screw something up with HFSLIP?

Did you use my HFSLIP package to integrate all the updates? Was your Windows 2000 source clean?

Please install VirtualBox and test your ISO there. This way we can see whether it is the ISO or the hardware to cause the problem.

I got my hands on VirtualBox (nice toy!) and gave it a spin-one thing I noticed is that while the installation went through, I got a lot of 'missing .dll' errors.  I remembered when I ran HFSLIP to add the updates, my firewall (an early version of Comodo) kept flashing me warnings and asking if everything was ok, which I kept clicking 'allow'.  I suspected that might have messed something up along the ways, so I got offline-shut down the firewall and ran the whole thing again to make a new ISO file I burned to a fresh disk.  I'm testing it out on my dell for the moment and the installation process is going smoothly so far.

Great, I'd just say that I did the HFSLIP2000 in a Windows 2000 VM on Virtualbox. I then got the patched files, and made it into a bootable ISO using ImgBurn. It's freeware, and it includes OpenCandy adware. I just extracted the true EXE from the installer EXE. :3 Anyways, downloaded a boot image (it was XP-SP2 I believe) and burnt that into a bootable ISO. Works great :)

Edited by Windows2000User

6 hours ago, OldSchool38 said:

I got my hands on VirtualBox (nice toy!) and gave it a spin-one thing I noticed is that while the installation went through, I got a lot of 'missing .dll' errors.  I remembered when I ran HFSLIP to add the updates, my firewall (an early version of Comodo) kept flashing me warnings and asking if everything was ok, which I kept clicking 'allow'.  I suspected that might have messed something up along the ways, so I got offline-shut down the firewall and ran the whole thing again to make a new ISO file I burned to a fresh disk.  I'm testing it out on my dell for the moment and the installation process is going smoothly so far.

Were you running HFSLIP 2000 in Windows 2000?

If the host OS is >= Vista then the script has to be run as administrator in order to work properly, otherwise some of the executables (especially the older ones) will not extract properly and as a result will not be slipstreamed. I should probably edit the script so that it automatically demands administrative rights.

Any security software (firewall, antivirus, etc.) may cause problems so it is recommended to turn everything off before running the script.

I was running in windows xp, after shutting down the firewall-the new cd works just fine! :)

Only one problem now, after installing the HFSLIP disk-I installed the latest version of UURollup (last daily from 2014).  I then installed a tweaked video driver by BWC for my GT620 card which worked great.  I then tried to install the latest version of VLC media player with the compatibility tool-but when I tried to run a mp4 file the system locked up and I had to restart the computer, I dropped down to the 2.0 version of VLC but had the same thing happened!  Is VLC not compatible with UURollup?

Edited by OldSchool38