Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

I've added one new XP update for WMP9 which can be slipstreamed. I've also discovered some issues in the current list of WMP9 updates & codecs. There are at least several more WMP9 updates to add. Especially when it comes to the WMP codecs, it's one big mess as far as file versioning goes.

My custom HFSLIP package seems to work well - no issues with slipstreaming all official updates (tested in Windows 2000 and Windows 7 x64 as hosts). I shall be able to upload a test package in the next few days.

I've managed to modify HFSLIP in order to slipstream XP/2003 into Windows 2000. It will now be possible to use those updates and add the updated files to the Windows 2000 source. There seem to exist at least a few of such updates whose files are compatible (and this is without any extended kernel, just vanilla Win2K!).

Before messing around with the XP/2003 files and WMP9 related material I've decided to officially update my website under http://windows2000.tk (without "/new"). I now need to add an HFSLIP section and prepare the newly modified HFSLIP script for public download. I'm now calling it HFSLIP2000. Despite the name I haven't done anything to break the XP/2003 compatibility but also haven't tested it with them. The script is fully targeted at Windows 2000 though.

This new HFSLIP script will be required to slipstream the new updates.

False alarm. It works fine, but page cannot be displayed on Microsoft Edge. (Windows 10)

It does work in Microsoft Edge here. Can you tell me what exactly happens when you try to open the site? Can you show me a screen shot?

I have just uploaded the first new HFSLIP package. You can find it in the Download Archive under Unofficial -> HFSLIP. The package is English only and covers all updates listed currently on my website. A test version of my modified HFSLIP 2000 script is included there too.

Just copy your Windows 2000 files into the SOURCE folder and run the script. Use "run as administrator" if you are running the script in Windows Vista or newer.

PS Server only updates are included in the package as well and the files are slipstreamed but Windows 2000 Professional won't use them. It's easier tor me to prepare one package for all editions of Win2K rather than separate ones.

At the moment I'm fixing my website to look better in older IEs, and I'm planning to add more XP/2003 updates to the lists together with the HFSLIP 2000 script.

Quite a “contrast” with the old HFSLIP…

I started testing your HFSLIP 2000, and lo and behold…I can actually “behold” it now!  Thanks for changing HFSLIP’s “two shades of gray” color scheme, I definitely won’t miss that.  Nice.

Big update today!

• HFSLIP 2000 is officially available to download. At the moment it's not much different from the original HFSLIP. The main features are slipstreaming XP/2003 updates into Win2K and ability to run in newer Windows as administrator. I've also fixed a few other bugs. I'll try to add a detailed explanation of all the features later on.
  • Thanks to HFSLIP 2000 I've added a lot of Windows XP updates to the list. There are still more left but they will require more extensive testing while these ones "just" work.
  • Fixed my website to look better in IE5/6.

Check http://windows2000.tk

I've also uploaded a new HFSLIP package with all the updates included. As always, available in the Download Archive. By the way, I'm still playing around withe the folder structure in the Archive so don't be surprised if there are frequent changes.

Quite a “contrast” with the old HFSLIP…

I started testing your HFSLIP 2000, and lo and behold…I can actually “behold” it now!  Thanks for changing HFSLIP’s “two shades of gray” color scheme, I definitely won’t miss that.  Nice.

Thank you! :) I've also never liked the original colour scheme and always changed it to something else.

Edited by tomasz86

Is the HFSLIP 2000 download supposed to be only 478 KB?

Yes! It's just the script with a few required tools.

You can find the full HFSLIP package in the other folder. That download is 498 MB.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering, as you update UURollup-is there anyway to fix the issue where comodo firewall version 2.4.18.184 isn't disabled when you install it.  That's a problem I've had in the past, and while other firewalls like Outpost 2009 seem to work fine-testing websites I've used to check it out seem to indicate Comodo the more secure of the two.

Another big update!

Nine Windows XP updates have been added to the list (check the changelog). I've updated the full HFSLIP package. I've also made some cosmetic changes to the website (the table with updates is now a little bit wider).

I've analysed all XP updates listed at http://xdot.tk and in POSReady 2009 Updates Addon. I still need to re-check http://hfslip.altervista.org/updatelist.htm if there are any more compatible updates.

I was wondering, as you update UURollup-is there anyway to fix the issue where comodo firewall version 2.4.18.184 isn't disabled when you install it.  That's a problem I've had in the past, and while other firewalls like Outpost 2009 seem to work fine-testing websites I've used to check it out seem to indicate Comodo the more secure of the two.

Thank you for informing me about the problem! I'll try to check it when I start working on UURollup.

One more update!

• Added twelve new updates and hotfixes.
  • Updated HFSLIP 2000 to version 1.0.1.
  • A new HFSLIP full package is also available to download.

What's important is that some of the newly added XP / 2003 updates were previously available as unofficial updates. Now, with HFSLIP 2000, it's possible to slipstream them directly.

Check the changelog for details.

Wow, Tomasz, I wonder just how far this can go?  If your success in direct-porting (or whatever you would call it) these XP updates continues, when you get around to working on W2k Pro UURollup, you may find…there’s not much left to do!

Wow, Tomasz, I wonder just how far this can go?  If your success in direct-porting (or whatever you would call it) these XP updates continues, when you get around to working on W2k Pro UURollup, you may find…there’s not much left to do!

I've already thought about this :) I want to add all Windows XP / 2003 updates which install files that itself are 100% compatible with Windows 2000. I think there are not many left.

UURollup should only cover those which require other unofficial files (BWC kernel, etc.) to work. Even then it might be actually better to have a "core" version of UURollup and just slipstream those XP/ 2003 updates directly. Doing so would greatly simplify the whole process, especially when it comes to maintenance. The drawback would obviously be impossibility to install them manually in a running system.