Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Uninstall_Office_DLL_Error_Windows_2000_

This is the error that I get when I uninstall Office 2007 using the chrome tool. As you can see it's complaining about MSVCR80.DLL being missing. And it is after uninstalling Office 2007. I have tested it in multiple virtual machines and I get the same result every time. The solution to the problem was simple: I copied MSVCR80.DLL over from another unofficially updated Windows 2000 machine and placed it into system32. Now no error.

I just thought I'd post this little update. I can probably go ahead and remove Office 2007 with confidence now, and solve a lot of the other mentioned issues.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just uploaded a new daily of UURollup (sorry for the usual delay :()

• All files from the newest BWC kernel added.
  • Application Compatibility Launcher and Process Explorer available via Programs\Accessories\System Tools in Start Menu.
  • No more shell32.dll errors during the installation process.
I'm also working on removing the modified sfc.dll file (Avast issue) and using another method for disabling System File Protection.

I've also finished preparing the new HFSLIP package but found out that the new HFSLIP beta by Acheron has some issues, and I want to fix them first. My website update will also be delayed till next weekend.

There's a very serious issue in all versions of UURollup (including v10 and older). The problem is that %windir%\system32\hal.dll isn't updated at all.......

At the moment my system32 has 5.0.2195.6988 [84,192 bytes]. In the v11-d20141130 uninstall folder the halaacpi.dll has the same attributes - is it reasonable to assume that's the correct file to install in system32 from the Driver Cache\i386 folder (renamed, of course)?

Edit: discovered the 'Original Filename' of my system32 HAL.DLL and swapped in the newer version from Driver Cache, no problem.

I've got a separate issue with regard to Zonealarm, however - BSOD with error 0xc00000050 when I try to install ZA with any version of UURollup all the way back to v10e. Is there any possible workaround? Using real hardware (Dell GX260, 2.8ghz P4, 2GB RAM), btw.

Edited by PRB

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! Nice work! I'm so happy that people are still developing unofficial updates for Win2k.

I think it's really important to keep it alive, because it's the last OS that's fully based on the classic design

and was really made for desktop computing. We shouldn't forget that Windows also was a perfect PC OS.

Today it's just some stuff that should run on nearly everything.

Edited by GTAGAME

• 1 month later...

A couple of Unofficial Update Rollup users have noticed that the nightly builds of Firefox will install without using the Application Compatibility Launcher. I know there are registry values that can be added to Windows 2000 to negate the use of the Application Compatibility Launcher when installing Firefox. Have those been integrated into the most recent release of Unofficial Update Rollup?

• 1 month later...

I'm having an issue trying to change the mouse cursor scheme in Windows 2000 with the unofficial updates. When I open the mouse properties from the control panel, and then select the "Pointers" tab, the mouse settings window disappears, and any subsequent attempts to change the mouse cursor fail in the same way.

I'm using the November 30th, 2014 release of Unofficial Update Rollup, plus USP 5.1 and Update Rollup 2. Another user of the unofficial updates has experienced the same if not a very similar issue, with an older version of UUR.

EDIT: I tried exporting the registry values under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Cursors and adding them to the offending Windows 2000 install. After logging off and on again, the mouse cursor changed appropriately. What is strange is that when I navigate to the mouse properties and select the "Pointers" tab the mouse properties window no longer disappears!

Edited by MrMaguire

I checked two different W2K Pro machines, one with the most recent UUR, the other with a previous UUR, and both exhibited the “disappearing act” when clicking the Pointers tab.  I checked the registry, and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Cursors was missing.

I exported HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Cursors from a stock W2K Pro computer and imported that into a UUR machine, and the Pointers tab function returned.

@ MrMaguire:  that’s a nice find, good work.

Edited by bluebolt

To see which version of UUR knocks out the Pointers tab function, for OS installation I started with tomasz86’s HFSLIP, which includes v11-w20130323.  From there, I installed every daily version of UUR up through the most recent (v11-d20141130), one on top of the next, checking for Pointers tab function after each update.

Curiously, I never did lose Pointers tab function.

Thank you for looking into this, Bluebolt.

The Windows 2000 installation that I noticed this issue on was one set up fairly recently. It has only the November 30th, 2014 release of Unofficial Update Rollup on it. No upgrades, no downgrades. I hadn't noticed anything like this before since I've had no reason to change the mouse pointer from the control panel on Windows 2000 with the unofficial updates before.

The other user that has experienced the same (if not a very similar) issue originally used the February 5th, 2013 release of Unofficial Update Rollup, then upgraded to a more recent version later on. They said that with subsequent re-installs of Windows 2000 and newer releases of Unofficial Update Rollup on different hardware, they hadn't experienced the same problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I have read a lot of the forums on updating windows 2000 which I still use & like on one of my computers. I would like to get an updated version of firefox working, I presently have version 12. I must be missing something as I have been unable to get the computer to work once all updates have been installed.

I installed unofficial service pack 5.1 - all good

I installed update rollup 2 (unofficial package) - all good

Everytime I install any version of uurollup the computer wont boot & I get the message winnt/system32/config/system missing or corrupt.

Even used acronis true image to replace the system file from another bootable system to see if any change but no change, same message.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Is it possible for you to boot into safe mode?

Just in the case where you don't know how to access it, press F8 at the beginning of your Windows bootup and select "Safe Mode".

It will load a "lighter" version of Windows 2000 (no internet, 16 colors etc).

You might be able to uninstall UURollup from the control panel, in the "Add/Remove Programs" section.

You can also repair Windows 2000 using the original CD.

Boot from the Windows 2000 CD, wait for the files to load, and select the option to do a repair install.

I have only done repair installs using the emergency repair process (I find it much easier that way) and do either a manual or fast repair. Your system should repair itself once this process ends. You may need to go through the setup process again.

I am not sure if either of these methods will work for you. However, I believe it is worth a try.

Edited by ironman14

I have read a lot of the forums on updating windows 2000 which I still use & like on one of my computers. I would like to get an updated version of firefox working, I presently have version 12. I must be missing something as I have been unable to get the computer to work once all updates have been installed.

I installed unofficial service pack 5.1 - all good

I installed update rollup 2 (unofficial package) - all good

Everytime I install any version of uurollup the computer wont boot & I get the message winnt/system32/config/system missing or corrupt.

Even used acronis true image to replace the system file from another bootable system to see if any change but no change, same message.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Which versions of Unofficial Update Rollup did you try? Is this a fresh install? What kind of computer is it? What other software are you installing before UUR?

Hi,

I have tried about 8 versions of unofficial update Rollup, some very old just to see if any would work. All produce the same result. Computer wont boot. This is not a fresh install, I have been running windows 2000 since I purchased it new on this computer. It is an older computer, the mother board is a Gigabyte GA - 8S66IFXM - 775, 1024 mb memory DDR 200 Mhz. The other software before UUR is unofficial service pack 5.1 & then update rollup 2, both of which load on fine. At one stage, I omitted to load update rollup 2 to see if it would make any difference but as soon as uurollup is installed, computer wont boot and message winnt/system32/config/system missing or corrupt appears.

Everytime I get to this stage, I use Acronis to reinstall the disk image before I loaded uurollup.

As per ironman14 above, when this happens, it wont boot into safe mode & I believe any repair using the windows cd will undo the state I am trying to get the computer into, so I can run a higher version of firefox, rather than version 12 which I currently have to run.

I did at one stage install an already updated ISO file of windows 2000 & it ran firefox's latest version, I did this just to see if it would actually work on this computer but this meant I would have to find all the drivers, reload all programs etc, this was not really an option (being a huge job) when I should be able to update the existing installation & enjoy.

Thanks for the interest but still looking for an answer.

I did at one stage install an already updated ISO file of windows 2000 & it ran firefox's latest version, I did this just to see if it would actually work on this computer but this meant I would have to find all the drivers, reload all programs etc, this was not really an option (being a huge job) when I should be able to update the existing installation & enjoy.

Once I have installed / uninstalled / installed a variety of UUR, it was not possible to then uninstall UUR and return my computer to a clean slate in that regard, as interferential remnants remain.  I have always had to start over from scratch, but that’s just my experience.

Hi,

I haven't tried to uninstall any UUR that I install, if it doesn't work, I just reinstall the disk image prior to the installation of the UUR and start again. That works fine. I always make sure my backups are good before installing any software, just in case something goes wrong. I don't want to go through the process of doing a clean install.