Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

@tomasz86. I still use chrome sometimes but my main browser is Firefox on 2k. It works good but YouTube videos seem to lag sometimes, which is a little strange considering I have FF 26(may need to upgrade to 27.0.1),Flash 12.0.70 and 1 GB RAM.

Also, have you ever considered adding in a tool like fcwin2k into UURollup? I have used it personally, and have been able to install certain programs such as QuickTime 7.7.x and iTunes 10.x on Windows 2000. Application Compatibility Launcher is good and useful, but it doesn't work with every single app, particularly apps that need you to rewrite the MSI.

Thanks for all your work on UURollup.

@ironman14

Firefox is less smooth than Chrome in general, but in case of YouTube it's the CPU / graphics power that's responsible for playing videos. Could you give more details about your hardware configuration?

The current version of Application Compatibility Launcher is very simple (primitive would be a better word to describe it :o). What it does is to tell the program that the OS is Windows XP. It doesn't modify any files, etc. Everything is done in the system registry.

I do plan to improve the Launcher in the future but only after the other, more important things have been finished. As for MSI files, at the moment I don't know how to modify them from the command line so can't guarantee anything in this particular case :(

@tomasz86. I still use chrome sometimes but my main browser is Firefox on 2k. It works good but YouTube videos seem to lag sometimes, which is a little strange considering I have FF 26(may need to upgrade to 27.0.1),Flash 12.0.70 and 1 GB RAM.

Even on my Windows 98 machine that I upgraded from a Pentium 4 1.8GHz processor to a 2.6GHz P4 and having a GeForce 6200AGP with 256MBs of RAM, YouTube STILL lags for me. It can't be Windows 98 because Linux is also slow playing YouTube videos. I think if YouTube would've left their stuff alone instead of dinking around with it all the time, it would work on even some of the lowest end hardware from at least the early 2000s.

So I was trying to use my application compatibility launcher tonight and it just isn't working right. Come to think of it, it dawns on me now that it just never has run right on this install.

Normally when I drag a EXE or MSI into it, it launches it automatically. It hasn't been doing that. I have to hit the return key. Tonight I noticed a error message: [some weird characters I can't type]ystem cannot find the file R=x

Any ideas?

Have you tried @blackwingcat's KDW wrapper tool? He's not updating it anymore and it is out of date for the most part, but it does include fcwin2k which is a very advanced application compatibility tool. It will allow you to modify both MSI files to work with Windows 2000 and also set proper compatibility permissions for exe files. You can find that here in case you want to give that a try, if you haven't already. Look for Ver 0.97a Download (2012/11/12) and download that.

Edited by Tommy

I did some time ago.

The problem is, these programs I've tried installing worked just fine on a different Windows 2K installation with the same Application Compatibility Launcher.

Edit: Same problem today on another Win2K installation. All the same software versions, same UURollup, UURollup2 v11, USP5.1, etc... Only difference was that the error message was [some weird characters I can't type]ystem cannot find the file 6

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

@aofarell2

In the error in the application compatibility launcher,[characters] system can't find the file R-x, this is normal. The exe/MSI will launch normally after. I got the same thing.

The FCWIN tool (not KDW wrapper) is still updated, and works with UURollup. I have been able to install, and modify some XP+ programs with advanced protection to work on 2K, like iTunes, and Quicktime Player. Also, Adobe Reader, GIMP, the new Skype, AVG, McAfee Stinger, Winamp, and more should work. Those are some programs I would like to test.

@tomasz86

I was going to list my hardware, then I had the thought it was a Firefox addon I have, so I browsed through my addons and found "Google Update". I disabled it, restarted Firefox, and Youtube, while not being perfect since it i is W2k, plays MUCH better.

Edited by ironman14

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm service packs are supposed to cover all previous service packs. I.e. if you install SP2 you don't need to install SP1, or SP3 you don't need SP1 or SP2. I have successfully installed SP5 with only having SP3 installed and a few extra patches.

I've seen it both ways. Sometimes SPs build on each other & sometimes they're standalone. That's why I ask. On another subject, I had setup a Windows 2000 Pro guest in a Windows 7 Pro VirtualBox 4.3.8 host & then with some difficulty got it to accept Windows updates from Microsoft using the article by ppgrainbow Guide to Installing and Updating Windows 2000 Professional. I then noticed that I couldn't go into Seamless Mode. Again with some difficulty I finally got this problem solved by installing w2ksp51.exe by tomasz86 & then installing Windows2000-UURollup-v10d-x86-ENU.exe. Now all appears to be good! Can anyone see anything wrong with what I've done? It is interesting that all the Windows updates showed up in Add/Remove Programs until I installed USP5.1. Can anyone think of reasons this might have occurred? Thanks for the help I obtained from this forum!!

I have a question, I'm using the latest HF_SLIP compilation you have on your site (can't remember the date though) and for some reason, I'm always getting a 500 Internal Server error in Windows Media Player when I try to add album information from the web. I never had this issue using the November 2012 compilation. I'm thinking either something was removed to break this or something isn't going right but it's been well over a week and it's still not working. I'm using WMP11 which always worked in the past. Could it be because this didn't come with WMP9 first like November 2012 did and so I didn't bother with it and just installed WMP11. So it could be missing a few other components that WMP9 added?

I'm very sorry for being silent for quite a while. I got a new job and have to work till 2-3 AM. Because of that I've got almost no time for anything else :(

@vanceayres You don't need to install / slipstream any other Service Packs. USP5 is cumulative. As for Windows Update, at this moment UURollup isn't really compatible with it. Until any working solution is provided, I'd strongly advise against using Windows Update once you've installed any unofficial packages.

@Tommy I can't say anything about WMP11 as I don't use WMP at all but I'd say that your guess may be right. WMP11 is officially available only for Windows XP SP2 (and above) which already has newer versions of WMP integrated. On the other hand, Windows 2000 originally comes with WMP 6.4 only.

I'm very sorry for being silent for quite a while. I got a new job and have to work till 2-3 AM. Because of that I've got almost no time for anything else :(

Congratulations on the new job, if that's appropriate, although I have to admit I hoped your recent silence was because you were working on USP5.2; I'm selfish like that :P

Seriously, though, best wishes with that new schedule (sounds like a prayer may be in order), and here's hoping we still get to hear from you...at least once in a while.

@vanceayres You don't need to install / slipstream any other Service Packs. USP5 is cumulative. As for Windows Update, at this moment UURollup isn't really compatible with it. Until any working solution is provided, I'd strongly advise against using Windows Update once you've installed any unofficial packages.

@Tommy I can't say anything about WMP11 as I don't use WMP at all but I'd say that your guess may be right. WMP11 is officially available only for Windows XP SP2 (and above) which already has newer versions of WMP integrated. On the other hand, Windows 2000 originally comes with WMP 6.4 only.

Yes, congrats on the new job! That's truly awesome! I'm still job hunting and it's a bad job market here so I haven't been doing so well in it. But I'm not giving up! Well, now the only problem I'm having is I can't remove WMP11 to install WMP9 first and then WMP11 so I'm thinking maybe set the version numbers different so the installer will just overwrite anything that's already there. I know usually a 500 server error is on the other side but I don't think that's the case here, I think something is broken but I don't know what it is. The funny thing though is when I put a DVD in the drive, it'll automatically download information for it but I can't do it manually. Weird, huh?