Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Tomasz, I have the latest UURollup v11 (Weekly 20130323) and I'd like to move up to a recent daily version to try to solve a problem (the volume control disappeared and I now have no sound after I tried to install BWC's Ati Radeon Graphic driver 9.4). Of the newest daily versions, which seems to be the most stable?

John

Edited by jbclem

A new daily of UURollup-v11 is ready.

Changes:

As always, all new files from BWC kernel have been added. The second change is very experimental and may be controversial. I'm myself not sure whether ad-blocking should be built-in in OS. Let's just experiment and see how this goes. That's what the daily releases were originally intended for :P

@jbclem I can't really give you any specific build number. The changes which have been going on in the daily releases are incremental. blackwingcat keeps adding new features to his kernel but he does it in small steps so there are no radical, sudden changes. If I were you I'd just make a backup copy of the system partition and install the newest daily release :)

Edited by tomasz86

I'm not finding the new UUR daily on Google Drive.

The file was there but I forgot to change year in date so its name started with "2013..." rather than "2014..." :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

Now it should be OK.

Tomasz, I have the latest UURollup v11 (Weekly 20130323) and I'd like to move up to a recent daily version to try to solve a problem (the volume control disappeared and I now have no sound after I tried to install BWC's Ati Radeon Graphic driver 9.4). Of the newest daily versions, which seems to be the most stable?

John

I don't know why this happens, especially due to it being a graphics driver, but I know the same happens to me for sound drivers and the old fix used to be just reinstalling UURollup after installing your sound driver and it would work. I haven't gotten around to testing it but a theory I have is you might need to reregister a sound dll file using regserv. I don't know if that would work as I haven't tried it but it's just an educated guess.

Tomasz, have you simplified the UURollup installation to ignore any files that contain the same file version as in the update. It seems that the installation is a lot shorter and it skips anything that doesn't need to be updated. I think that's why my fix stopped working around the September release I believe it was.

Edited by Tommy

This is a very good observation, Tommy. You're right about the changes in the installer.

In technical terms, the update.ver had been empty in the older versions. That caused the installer to install and replace all system files, regardless of their version numbers. Now update.ver is filled with files and their corresponding version number. The installer checks for file versions and replaces only those files whose version number is lower. That's why the installation process is much faster in your case.

The reason for the change wasn't cosmetics though. There was a problem related to the HAL files which weren't installed at all when their information wasn't included in the update.ver.

One possible solution could be to keep only the HAL files' information in the update.ver and remove the rest... but I think we should try to find the exact file that causes the sound driver issue and fix it instead of clearing the whole update.ver.

Edited by tomasz86

I'm still baffled why it makes a difference though. What happens when you install a sound driver that it would automatically takes away sound functionality until you *reinstall UURollup*? Didn't blackwingcat add sound functionality from Windows XP? I'm wondering if when your sound device registers driver files if somehow it's causing some sort of incompatibility with the XP drivers. There's no 'obvious' audio service in 2000 like there is in XP though. I'll have to look deeper into the issue but I'm wondering if a simple script could fix the problem as it might just be as simple as regserv the XP sound driver DLLs after a device driver installation. That's just a hunch at this point though.

Edited by Tommy

Tommy, I'd like to try "reinstalling UURollup" but I'm not sure if you mean re-installing all of the ones I have installed, or just the last one. And did you uninstall it (or they) first, before you re-installed it.

John

.NET Framework 1-4

UURollup 1

UURollup 2

UURollup v10d

UURollup v11 (weekly 20130323)

Tommy, I'd like to try "reinstalling UURollup" but I'm not sure if you mean re-installing all of the ones I have installed, or just the last one. And did you uninstall it (or they) first, before you re-installed it.

John

.NET Framework 1-4

UURollup 1

UURollup 2

UURollup v10d

UURollup v11 (weekly 20130323)

You would just install the UURollup v11 (weekly 20130323) version. If possible, make sure you have everything sound related installed properly now so you only have to do it once. Don't even uninstall anything, just go ahead and reinitialize the UURollup v11 (weekly 20130323) installer and it will go ahead and reinstall the pack, after you restart, your sound should work again. Since you're using an older version of UURollup, I know for a fact that your sound will be restored if this is the problem. Anything daily after July's version I believe will not work with it anymore.

Edited by Tommy

Thanks Tommy, it worked just like you said. After months without sound, how nice to have it back. But what did you mean about "any daily after July's version...will not work with it anymore"? If I install a newer Daily UURollup, will I lose the sound again?

Thanks Tommy, it worked just like you said. After months without sound, how nice to have it back. But what did you mean about "any daily after July's version...will not work with it anymore"? If I install a newer Daily UURollup, will I lose the sound again?

You're welcome!

And nope, you won't lose your sound but if you happen to lose it via installing a new sound driver, this trick will not work anymore with the later daily versions of UURollup because the way the update installs has been changed. (See post #651 by tomasz86) We're hoping to find a real solution to this problem and what actually causes you to lose sound after installing a sound driver with UURollup installed.

I'm still sorting a lot of stuff for which I had no time during the last several months. Once everything has been set up I'm going to speed up with all the Windows related projects. I'm planning to use my Pentium III-M based notebook as a testing device for Windows 2000 related unofficial patches and other fixes. This way it shall be much easier for me to test problematic behaviour (such as the audio driver problems) on real hardware rather than being dependant only on virtual machines which is the case now.

Tomasz86, I respect that you are busy and I am glad to hear that you will be testing your UURollup packages on real hardware. However, are you going to update the programs section of your site sometime? If you do, I can confirm Office 2007 will work on Windows 2000, requiring UURollup.

Well I'm having a poblem installing UURollup - 10d. Getting a setup error:

c:\winnt\system32\shell32.dll is open or in use by another application. Close all other applications and then click Retry.

I have installed USP5.1 and UURollup 1 and UUrollup 2 without any problems. Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop Pentium II

However, are you going to update the programs section of your site sometime? If you do, I can confirm Office 2007 will work on Windows 2000, requiring UURollup.

Yes, there will be a major update to my website in the near future. I hope to finish it by the end of this month. I'd already been working on it for a long time last year but eventually had to postpone everything due to work / studies. This time I can say for sure that the website is going to be updated as soon as possible :)

Well I'm having a poblem installing UURollup - 10d. Getting a setup error:

c:\winnt\system32\shell32.dll is open or in use by another application. Close all other applications and then click Retry.

I have installed USP5.1 and UURollup 1 and UUrollup 2 without any problems. Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop Pentium II

You need to either close all Windows Explorer windows or kill the "explorer.exe" process itself. I've tried to fix the issue but it doesn't seem to be possible using the built-in MS hotfix installer :} I only managed to find a workaround during the uninstallation process.

By the way, as for UURollup, I'm also going to have a look at the new WildBill unofficial updates' releases and see if there are any files that could be integrated into UURollup.

Edited by tomasz86