Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

I found a bug. Anytime you right click on something in explorer, explorer crashes with a critical stop error and the typical cannot read or write complaint.

Hmm, that's strange :}. I can't reproduce it in my system. Right click works fine here...

Nevermind, believe it or not, it was actually fabricated due to an incompatibility from the WinZip 15 program I had installed earlier. Somehow it was messing with the right click and would crash explorer every time. I will reinstall the pack since I just uninstalled it and see what happens from there.

I've got an important announcement to tell. I'm going to transfer all Windows 2000/XP/2003 official updates from Dropbox to Google Drive. The reason for this move is that I've got now 25GB space to use on Google Drive thanks to free space received when Google merged Docs with the Drive, and also due to the QuickOffice for Android promotion. I need space on Dropbox to use for other data, and I also think that Google Drive should be a better choice for storing files offered to be downloaded publicly since there's no download limit on it (there's such a limit on Dropbox).

Anyhow, this shouldn't really affect anyone since you can browse through the Google Drive archive in a similar way you can browse files located on Dropbox. I'm going to keep the Dropbox archive for 1 week from now and them remove the files once everything has been transferred to Google Drive.

Hello again...I'm trying to install a new program (Medved Trader) and the installation has failed at the point that it tried to download and install Windows Installer 4.5 . Is there a way that this version of Windows Installer will work in Windows 2000.

I'm using UU Rollup1, UU Rollup 2, UU Rollup v11(weekly 20130323), and .NetFramework 1-4.0 .

I've tried to get Windows Installer 4.5 to work in the past but failed :(

3. I think there's a little misunderstanding here. However, thank you for the links as they solve other issues for me. I was interested mainly in installing UUR daily during the T-13 phase (as it is not SFXCAB and cannot be slipstreamed into the installation source). Will it work with /Passive and /NoRestart switches? Are there other concerns?

About the .NET framework multi package of yours: Is the T-13 installation possible as well?

You should be able to install both of them in the T-13. The installer is a standard M$ hotfix installer so you can use all supported switches.

4. This pack includes also USP 5.1? It says it is past SP4, so it comes onto a clean SP4 image?

It doesn't include USP5.2 per se but being a compilation of almost all M$ official updates and some hotfixes it does in fact cover a lot of stuff included in USP5.1 (excluding probably some hotfixes but they are covered by UR2 so no real problem here).

@lostrail I'm sorry for replying so late to your questions :(

Edited by tomasz86

Brooke's...did you try Windows Installer 4.5 with a UU Rollup newer than the one I'm using? I keep hoping that bwc will show up here and take a stab at this, but I haven't seen him here or in another message thread where I asked for some help with his drivers that I downloaded for an AH3450 graphics card. I guess eventually he'll be around.

Tomasz, I didn't see your post until just now. Thanks for letting me know that you'd tried Windows Installer 4.5 . Bad luck for me , I guess. I'll probably have to use XP if I want to run that program (Medved Trader).

It's possible to install Windows Installer 4.5 but it just won't start so you're unable to install applications :}

There are some other bad news. TeamViewer 9 Beta is out and the installer doesn't even start in Windows 2000, i.e. nothing happens when trying to run it.

Also the new version of Avast (Avast 2014) doesn't support Windows 2000 any longer. I've tried to install it but the installer crashes. I've recorder a short screen capture video of the issue here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac5pv0bShMI

This happens with the newest daily of UURollup-v11 installed.

Edited by tomasz86

Brooke's...did you try Windows Installer 4.5 with a UU Rollup newer than the one I'm using? I keep hoping that bwc will show up here and take a stab at this, but I haven't seen him here or in another message thread where I asked for some help with his drivers that I downloaded for an AH3450 graphics card. I guess eventually he'll be around.

I'm assuming you're talking to me. Well, I doubt it very much since I attempted this project about a year ago so it's very well a few additions made in UURollup could help but I still have my doubts on this. I'm curious since I haven't had any run ins yet, but do you really need Windows Installer 4.5? I'm just curious if you have any applications that require it since I don't know of any myself.

It's possible to install Windows Installer 4.5 but it just won't start so you're unable to install applications :}

There are some other bad news. TeamViewer 9 Beta is out and the installer doesn't even start in Windows 2000, i.e. nothing happens when trying to run it.

Also the new version of Avast (Avast 2014) doesn't support Windows 2000 any longer. I've tried to install it but the installer crashes. I've recorder a short screen capture video of the issue here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac5pv0bShMI

This happens with the newest daily of UURollup-v11 installed.

I can't read the file in question, but have you tried using bwc's application utility and manually set the instup.exe or whatever it is to Windows XP? I've found with the newest firefox installs you MUST set setup.exe to Windows XP in order for it to work by manually typing in setup.exe in the file box, just dragging the installer over and setting it to XP doesn't work anymore. Maybe the same is with this as well?

Edited by Tommy

Thanks for the tips :)

The file in question is "instup.exe". You can actually set files to run in Windows XP mode using Application Compatibility Launcher (without relying on the BWC tool) just by typing the filename.

Yes, I do know that Application Compatibility Launcher needs to be updated, bug fixed and generally polished up... but no time for it at the moment :(

This is my second try:

http://youtu.be/CPtB_Devg40

One step further but still not working.

Tommy, sorry for the confusion with Brooke's (I just didn't see your name above the message body). I wish I didn't need Windows Installer 4.5, but unfortunately a new iteration of my favorite stock market charting program(Quotetracker...now Medved Trader) is being assembled and I offered to help beta test it knowing only that it needed .NetFramework 4.0. After using Application Compatibility Launcher to start the setup, it turned out to need the 4.5 version of the installer, so that's as far as I got.

I'm going to see if the programmer wouldn't mind making up a version using WIndows Installer 3.1, just to see if I can get it to run in Win2000...but he and his team are pretty busy making up the new program so I'm not going to count on that. I may finally be forced to use XP regularly.

How difficult do you suppose it would be to pop out a version of a program using the earlier installer?

Not a problem, it just threw me for a bit of a loop. lol

Well, it's really hard to say since I haven't tried to get Windows Installer 4.5 to work again. .NET Framework is no problem since we already have a patch for that and it works great. I can't remember if blackwingcat has ever attempted it or not. But he's probably our best bet at this point. If I get a chance, I'll reinstall Windows 2000 in a virtual box and see if I can figure out how to get it going. I imagine it's probably just a matter of the right DLLs and having the right extensions in them.

Another problem is I don't know what 4.5 has to offer over 3.1. It probably just allows for more advanced installations which I really don't see the point. I think more of it is just a ploy to get everyone to upgrade their systems. If they never came out with new stuff that was incompatible with older OSs, you could use the same computer and OS forever basically. But we'll see if we can get some other responses to this. I haven't even tried 4.5 on a Windows XP machine yet so I don't even know what's different.

I take you can't open up the executable via WinRAR or Winzip?

The installer itself can't be unpacked like that but it may be possible to grab some files from %TEMP% once the installer has been started. This requires some trial and error testing, and time to do it (lack of time is the real problem -_-)

I'm going to see if the programmer wouldn't mind making up a version using WIndows Installer 3.1, just to see if I can get it to run in Win2000...but he and his team are pretty busy making up the new program so I'm not going to count on that. I may finally be forced to use XP regularly.

Just a wild suggestion but have you tried to simply install the program in Windows XP and then copy the files to Windows 2000? If it's only the installer that doesn't work then there's a change that you'll be able to start the application itself.

Edited by tomasz86

I take you can't open up the executable via WinRAR or Winzip?

The installer itself can't be unpacked like that but it may be possible to grab some files from %TEMP% once the installer has been started. This requires some trial and error testing, and time to do it (lack of time is the real problem -_-)

That does work and I'm looking into it now. My error is slightly different but it's the same file in question. I ran it through dependency walker and this is what I have encountered.

Second chance exception 0xE06D7363 (Microsoft C++ Exception) occurred in "KERNEL32.DLL" at address 0x7C59BCB1.

I will continue to work at this but I don't know if we'll have much luck or not.

That's a good idea, Tomasz, and I just installed the program (Medved Trader) on Windows XP (on the same machine, dual boot) so it should be easy to copy it and run it in Windows 2000. Or even just boot up in Windows 2000 and try to run the main exe file in the XP installation(same computer, different partition).