Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Regarding your change of focus to Windows XP I think that makes sense. WinXP, for me, is like the sweet spot as far as Win OSes

is concerned. Keeping that alive as long as possible after it goes EOL would be great.

I'm kind of backwards as I actually moved from Linux (my primary after Win 3.x ) to XP (in 2005 - I'm a late adopter). As more open source

tools and apps, POSIX/Unix environments, development tools, etc. were made available on the OS I wound up spending more time

there than on my beloved Slackware. 'Course now I have a PC farm of sorts running all kinds of stuff , including Win7, so they all get their fair amount of attention. :-)

I personally was never an XP guy myself. It gave me so many issues that I just gave up on it. Windows 2000, however, always remains robust and flexible. The OS runs great, and I don't have to do as much maintainence as you would have to on XP. Windows 2000 is the most stable OS I've ever used, and nothing can disprove that. But Server 2003, along with XP, should also be kept alive. I might consider 2003 as an option for when 2000 breathes its last.

Strangely its only been a month and it seems windows2000.tk is down :(

What i am getting is:

Heroku | No such app
There is no app configured at that hostname.
Perhaps the app owner has renamed it, or you mistyped the URL.

Edited by grmartin

I personally was never an XP guy myself. It gave me so many issues that I just gave up on it. Windows 2000, however, always remains robust and flexible. The OS runs great, and I don't have to do as much maintainence as you would have to on XP. Windows 2000 is the most stable OS I've ever used, and nothing can disprove that. But Server 2003, along with XP, should also be kept alive. I might consider 2003 as an option for when 2000 breathes its last.

I was a latecomer to Windows 2000. We had it at work but I didn't think to use it personally until the company got new machines

and I took the old ones home. So I pretty much got started just before it went EOL. Besides all the experimenting and breaking things

as a result it runs fast and lean compared to XP. Running most of the same apps though a a version or so behind, depending.

Regarding 2003 I use that, sort of, in the form of its proof-of-concept sibling Windows XP x64 Edition. It gets more use than Win7 for

sure on the same machine.

I was kind of bummed that a few software titles I had wouldn't install. Their system requirements stated that they wouldn't work on

server OSes and since XP x64 is NT 5.2 the installers probably did a version check.

Still have 'til 2015 extended support for 2003 server which I reckon applies to me, too.

My website is now hosted on Google Drive (Google actually recommends using it for hosting). This should guarantee almost 100% uptime and fix all the other issues I've had with all those free hosting services (starting from completely unreliable http://www.zymic.com, and ending on http://www.4ove.com which added custom analytics script to all html files uploaded to their servers with no option to switch it off which itself wouldn't be such a big problem except for the fact that the script caused error on older IEs -_-).

I'm now trying to configure my domain (windows2000.tk) to work with both www present and without it. At the moment you still need to input the whole address with www to be able to access the site.

As I mentioned some time ago already, I've been working on an updated version of the site and I hope to be able to somewhat finish it in the next few days. It will be much easier to navigate (adjusted for large and small screens) and read (improved colours & larger fonts), and I'm also going to regularly add a lot of new useful information to it.

Hello, everyone.

Could you recommend an antivirus software which includes firewall for windows 2000?

There is a representative antivirus software "V3 Internet Security Enterprise Edition" in Republic of Korea(It supports Win 2000 officially),

But It launches BSOD when I install UURollup(From v11 it happened / I need v11 cause it can execute a lot of latest programs) :}.

I've changed the order of install(V3 <-> UURollup), the results are the same.

Edited by s15375

It's only a wild guess but it seems that V3 thinks the system is Windows XP (or maybe even newer) due to some APIs in the modified files, tries to use some of those functions and crashes.

Anyway, I don't really know any reliable AV+FW all-in-one solution. The best way would probably be to use two different applications. When it comes to AV, Avast still supports Windows 2000 so you can use the newest version (remember not to install the so called "Software Updater" because it doesn't work with UURollup and is kind of useless anyway). As for FW, you can use Malware Defender (available at my website in Programs). Many people also recommend Comodo Firewall 2.4 but I myself had issues with it (details here).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone...I'm a long time Win2000 user and running UUR v10d, UUR v11 (weekly 21121118), and Update Rollup 1 on this computer (a slightly different configuration on a different computer). It's running fine but I want to upgrade from .NET 3.5 to .NET 4.0 and I'd like to ask what I need to be able to install .NET 4.0...what's the latest weekly that I should install and do I have to uninstall any of the other rollups (something I haven't done so far).

I'd also like to get BootLog XP running on Windows 2000. I have a dual boot setup with WinXP and it runs normally on XP. On Windows 2000 it installs without any error messages, and it starts up with no problem. But when I reboot and it starts to run automatically, it seems to run normally but then generates an error message with a heading of "Boot Diagram" and a message "file is corrupted". Looking at the file it produces in my C drive root directory, I find xpbootlog.txt with zero bits. This empty file is the heart of the program as it is the source for a screen that shows all the files used during bootup and how long each one runs. Running BootLog XP on WinXP produces this file with content inside and the screen that shows what I just mentioned.

Could someone look at this and see if it runs properly on the latest rollup. I'll get to this but I want to install another Win2000 sp4 on a triple boot so I can try out the latest without risking anything and can't do that yet. And are there any suggestions for what it might take to get this to run.

I've been following Black WIng Cat, Old Cigarettes, and Tomasz for quite a while and I can't say enough for what all of you are doing to keep Windows 2000 alive.

Regards,

John

@jbclem Just a quick post. You can install all .NET Frameworks from 1.0 to 4.0 using my experimental merged installed. You can download it from the Archive (Windows2000/UnofficialSP5/.NETFramework). It hasn't been updated for a while but it doesn't really matter. I'd recommend you use .NET Framework Cleanup Tool to remove all the other versions of .NET before applying my installer.

Hello,

I installed Windows 2000 SP4 + Update Rollup 1 + Update Rollup 2 + Windows2000-UURollup-v10d-x86-ENU.exe (English) and when I tried to run Iron Browser with Application Compatibility Launcher I get this error:

The procedure entry point IsProcessInJob could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll :}:no:

However I installed everything I needed to run it as you can see here in your web: http://www.windows2000.tk/programs/index.html hehe

Name / Version - Requirements

SRWare Iron - Unofficial Updates Rollup

what can I do to get it working?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...