Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

But I'd appreciate a Speedstep-like utility... I've done lots of searching on Google and found absolutely nothing. The closest match was RightMark CPU, but that doesn't do anything...

I think that it would be good to start a new topic in the Hardware section and ask for such an utility for new Intel processors. Maybe someone will come up with something :)

I also deleted sfc.dll since avast was always complaining... It's not needed, right?

I wouldn't delete it myself... I don't really know how the system will work without SFC.DLL. I'm going to experiment with the registry later without modifying the DLL itself.

Would it make a difference if they are TCP/IP printers? I have no printers physically connected to my computer but rather both are networked through my router. This however, never happened before until I started using the later UURollup versions.

First of all, I'd suggest replacing WTSAPI32.DLL and WINSTA.DLL in "%WINDIR%\SYSTEM32" with their original Windows 2000 versions to check whether they are the culprit. The XP files were added some time ago to fix the TeamViewer related issue.

I deleted it and the system failed. So I reinstalled Windows. :blushing:

I'm still using the special trick to prevent sfc.dll from being scanned. Please, make an SFC.dll that avast! does not suspect.

I'm now on weekly UUR BTW.

Edited by AnX

Thanks for your reply. I done some research so if I understand correctly all updates are included in your HFSLIP package?

Almost all updates. The only one major component missing from the package is .NET Framework which you can download separately.

Edited by tomasz86

@tomasz -- Unfortunately, I installed the v11 daily (Windows2000-UURollup-v11-d20130226-x86-ENU) before I read your note about the weekly*. Installing this daily over v10d caused a STOP error x00000050: (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) on bootup. I got the blue screen and the computer stopped. Luckily, I had a DriveImage backup of drive C:. I then overwrote my C: drive with my 3/25 image backup and I'm back to v10d. I've done some updating to this drive, so I'll have to re-image it again; then I'll try your v11 weekly. It only takes 18 minutes to restore. I don't have "virtual machine" software of any kind.

* @tomasz said: "The new UURollup-v11 weekly can be also safely installed over UURollup-v10d. It's actually very likely that it will be possible to finally release a stable version of UURollup-v11 soon."

Why did the daily trash my W2K install, and, if you say that the v11 weekly can be safely installed over v10d, does that ensure that I won't get the STOP x00000050 error again?

Gary

PS: How do I get rid of the "newbie" label under my avatar? I am not even close to being a newbie; I've been working with computers for 30 years and was a professional programmer for 15. I've noticed that "@HumansCantBeTrusted" has two posts, joined yesterday, but does not have this label.

@tomasz -- Unfortunately, I installed the v11 daily (Windows2000-UURollup-v11-d20130226-x86-ENU) before I read your note about the weekly*. Installing this daily over v10d caused a STOP error x00000050: (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA) on bootup. I got the blue screen and the computer stopped. Luckily, I had a DriveImage backup of drive C:. I then overwrote my C: drive with my 3/25 image backup and I'm back to v10d. I've done some updating to this drive, so I'll have to re-image it again; then I'll try your v11 weekly. It only takes 18 minutes to restore. I don't have "virtual machine" software of any kind.

* @tomasz said: "The new UURollup-v11 weekly can be also safely installed over UURollup-v10d. It's actually very likely that it will be possible to finally release a stable version of UURollup-v11 soon."

Why did the daily trash my W2K install, and, if you say that the v11 weekly can be safely installed over v10d, does that ensure that I won't get the STOP x00000050 error again?

Gary

PS: How do I get rid of the "newbie" label under my avatar? I am not even close to being a newbie; I've been working with computers for 30 years and was a professional programmer for 15. I've noticed that "@HumansCantBeTrusted" has two posts, joined yesterday, but does not have this label.

Did you install it the right way? You have to extract the daily, go to the update folder, and start setup from there. You'd want weekly, since its more tested.

Edited by AnX

@GaryMX I can't guarantee that everything will work smootly, especially when you're installing these packages in a running environment where there have been already other updates, applications, etc. installed. I hope that you can understand that :ph34r:

I'm just a single person any my capabilities are limited. When it comes to testing, I myself use daily releases of UURollup in my desktop system. I also install them in a VM to see if everything is OK. In case of weekly releases, in addition to the standard procedure I also test slipstreaming and installation over a previous weekly release. If there are no problems then such a weekly release may become a stable one later.

During such a testing period I often find some bugs myself and fix them, or try to fix issues reported by others. There are some people like Tommy who do some extensive testing but, still, we're just a few people so we're just physically unable to test these packages in many different environments. We're not Microsoft or any big company who've got hundreds of different machines used specifically for testing so there always exists possibility that something may go wrong. If you want to be 100% safe then preparing a system partition image before installing new unofficial packages is probably the best way to do it (I use Clonezilla for it).

I can't really say anything about the BSOD as you're the first person to report such an issue. I know you've been experiencing those file/folder permission issues due to having Windows 2000 installed twice and some system files mixed, and this may be a problem when installing UURollup-v11. It's really difficult to say anything more concrete in this situation. It would be nice if you tested it in a clean system so that we can check whether the problem persists or whether it was caused by the unstable system. If it does persists then we can investigate more into it.

@tomasz86 -- I restored the image of Drive C back; there was never a problem with the installation of W2K on this system. The problem was on Drive D, when I copied over an old backup of Drive C there. So, drive C is not unstable; there is no referencing in the Registry to anything on Drive D. This is where I installed the daily. I was thinking last night, that perhaps the daily doesn't have all of the file updates like a weekly? If it was assumed that the installer was using v11 daily to update an existing v11 system, when v11 was never installed, perhaps that would generate the stop x050 error? This error is an "addressing exception," which means that there was a module trying to access an area of memory that wasn't allocated.

You (and others) keep mentioning about using a VM (virtual machine) on your computer. I've only got 2 GB of memory on this old W2K box, and 750 MB is in use. I've only used a VM when I've run Hiren's boot CD, which runs Windows XP SP2 on this PC (with no problem) and creates an "X" drive for its use. I use this product to run DriveImage XML, which won't run on W2K without issues due to no VSS service, and even with drive locking, causes problems. So better to run in virtual XP.

My next project with this PC (when I have time) will be to reformat D: drive and install W2K clean, add all updates (M$ only,) then reinstall the software I need to run here. This will extricate the D: drive (and Registry) from any references to C: drive. It will probably be faster also, as I'm not going to reinstall much of the software that has been added to C: drive over the years ...

Once I'm done with that, I'll image the drive, and try v10d install, then the weekly v11 and see how it goes.

The label daily means only that it's a very experimental version updated on a daily basis. It doesn't mean that it's "incomplete" ;) It's a just a full version which hasn't been tested yet and sometimes contain some additional experimental features which may or may not be later included in weekly / stable releases. You don't need to install any previous / other release of UURollup-v11 before applying a daily one.

If you want to test in a VM then I'd suggest using Innotek VirtualBox 1.5.6. It's an old version, has some bugs but it supports Windows 2000 as a host very well, is suitable for testing Windows 2000 too and it's also VERY light and fast compared to other / newer virtual machines. In my case it consumes only about 160 MB of RAM when running a VM with Windows 2000 installed in it :) In my experience the biggest pain when setting up VMs is not CPU, not RAM but a slow HDD. Having an SSD or at least a faster HDD (>= 10,000 rpm) helps a lot. I actually run my test Windows 2000 VMs from a RAMdisk.

If you decide to reinstall I'd highly recommend using my HFSLIP package. Almost all updates (official and unofficial) are already included in it so you don't need to install anything later manually (maybe except for .NET Framework).

By the way, I think you should avoid talking about this since it violates the forum rule 1.a and may bring you trouble :ph34r: As for the "newbie" label, you should be able to change it under My Settings.

Edited by tomasz86

Tomasz -- I will try using Innotek VirtualBox 1.5.6 when I get a chance. Regarding your HFSLIP package, I am assuming this is for "slipstreaming?" I've never done this (never had to) so, what do I need to do to use it? I've got my original licensed W2K install CD and the M$ updates, and of course, your UURollups.

I won't talk about this, but the latest version uses all "shareware" or "freeware" (except of course, for the OS.) And most of these are unused. Honestly, I only need DriveImage XML, and I already use it on my home XP computer (using another version that I downloaded from Runtime software.

One more thing -- "my settings" doesn't have an option to change that title. :no: I may be blind, but I can't see it there.

Tomasz -- I will try using Innotek VirtualBox 1.5.6 when I get a chance. Regarding your HFSLIP package, I am assuming this is for "slipstreaming?" I've never done this (never had to) so, what do I need to do to use it? I've got my original licensed W2K install CD and the M$ updates, and of course, your UURollups.

You just need to download and unpack it, then copy contents of your Windows 2000 CD into the SOURCE folder (basic info about HFSLIP available here). After that just run the script and wait until it's finished.

but the latest version uses all "shareware" or "freeware" (except of course, for the OS.).

That's the problem :(

One more thing -- "my settings" doesn't have an option to change that title. :no: I may be blind, but I can't see it there.

It's called "Member Title".

I've uploaded the first and completely untested version of PowerShell 2.0 & WinRM (KB968929). It's available in the Download Archive (Windows2000/UnofficialSP5). UURollup-v11 weekly/daily and .NET Framework 2.0 are required. You'll see an error at the end of the installation but the package seems to be working nevertheless.

I don't even know how it works yet. At least there are no unfixed dependencies. You can start PowerShell by typing "powershell" in the command line. If there's anyone knowledgeable about PowerShell then it would be very nice if they could test some real scripts in it.

I've enabled PAE on my Dell Vostro 400 minitower. I now have full use of my 4GBs of RAM (it shows up as 4GBs in the system properties). However, I only have a 640x480x16 display and even though it's set to 800x600x32 bit and it is shown in the display properties. Could this possibly be because I'm using the onboard graphics adapter which is an Intel Chipset?

Also, I'm using your new HF_Slip compilation, did you disable Windows Update again? I'm having problems using the Windows Defender program to automatically check and download updates.

Edited by Tommy

@Tommy

1. It's definitely cased by the Intel driver. Intel graphics drivers don't seem to like PAE, unfortunately :( Actually the only graphics drivers about which I can say for sure that they work with PAE enabled are the NVIDIA ones.
  2. I haven't changed anything related to Windows Update recently... Especially in case of a slipstreamed installation the only change done by UURollup is setting
    HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU","NoAutoUpdate",0x10001,1

in the registry.

Edited by tomasz86

That does make sense. It was upgraded with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT but I put it in this computer when I switched them. Even though the other was better, I custom built this one pretty much so its kinda special to me so originally it had the NVIDIA in it put now it just has the standard Intel Onboard graphics.

I just made the registry change and I'm waiting to restart it. Hopefully it'll work.

Still having a Chrome issue. This is such a hit and miss issue and it's driving me nuts. Sometimes it works flawlessly on certain installs and other times it works when it wants. You go and open a tab and try to launch a page and you'll have the little circle going backwards like its thinking, but it doesn't do anything else. You have to close the tab and try again in a new one. Even launching something internally such as the downloads tab, sometimes it doesn't want to function right either. Iron did the same thing. It's like the Chrome Engine itself has a problem. It's annoying too and I prefer Chrome to FireFox myself.

EDIT: Windows Defender still won't update. I get a 0x80245001 error code when searching for updates.

Edited by Tommy

That does make sense. It was upgraded with the NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT but I put it in this computer when I switched them. Even though the other was better, I custom built this one pretty much so its kinda special to me so originally it had the NVIDIA in it put now it just has the standard Intel Onboard graphics.

I just made the registry change and I'm waiting to restart it. Hopefully it'll work.

Still having a Chrome issue. This is such a hit and miss issue and it's driving me nuts. Sometimes it works flawlessly on certain installs and other times it works when it wants. You go and open a tab and try to launch a page and you'll have the little circle going backwards like its thinking, but it doesn't do anything else. You have to close the tab and try again in a new one. Even launching something internally such as the downloads tab, sometimes it doesn't want to function right either. Iron did the same thing. It's like the Chrome Engine itself has a problem. It's annoying too and I prefer Chrome to FireFox myself.

EDIT: Windows Defender still won't update. I get a 0x80245001 error code when searching for updates.

Chrome works great on my Win2k system. It works better than Firefox did. And yes, it seems that Intel Graphics are conflicting on PAE systems.

Instead of Windows Defender, you can use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Chromium has that very annoying Javascript related error (more info) which for me makes it unusable in Windows 2000 as the main browser :ph34r:

@Tommy I've got no idea why Windows Defender's autoupdate doesn't work but I'll try to check it :sneaky: By the way, I've finally managed to install NFS: High Stakes and play it... but there are no errors in my system :huh: The game seems to run well. I've installed it in Windows 98 compatibility mode using "apcompat.exe".

Edited by tomasz86