Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

The oem*.inf have different numbers in each Windows installation as different drivers are installed depending on your hardware. It means that the "oem10.inf" from your system will be different than the one used by bluebolt.

@bluebolt Could you tell us what exactly is your oem10.inf? You can just copy and paste its content here using the [ spoiler ] tag (as it may be quite long).

The oem*.inf have different numbers in each Windows installation as different drivers are installed depending on your hardware. It means that the "oem10.inf" from your system will be different than the one used by bluebolt.

@bluebolt Could you tell us what exactly is your oem10.inf? You can just copy and paste its content here using the [ spoiler ] tag (as it may be quite long).

I've solved the problem by simply letting Win2k detect the drivers using Device Manager.

And one more thing, I've downloaded the latest daily UURollup for the HD Graphics Driver, because it needs blackwingcat's kernel.

It runs great, I got an initial BSOD when the HD graphics installed via the installer, but I used Windows' INF install method and it works great!

But I have to use QupZilla because the latest firefox turns all black when I start it up.

Edited by AnX

After I run my W2K/IE6/WMP9/All Official Updates OS CD with integrated Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility) Dated 11/6/2012, there is no USB function. When I go into Device Manager (using the keyboard, thanks tomasz86), the USB Host Controller is set to its “currently installed, and recommended driver,” which is the “Intel 7 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller” located at c:\winnt\inf\oem5.inf. I then select the unrecommended choice instead, which is the “Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller” located at c:\winnt\inf\usb.inf, and I have USB function. Here’s what I find inside c:\winnt\inf\oem5.inf:

; ********************************************************************************

; ********************************************************************************

; ** FileName: PantUSB.inf **

; ** Abstract: Windows* 2K, XP, 2003 Server INF, Vista, Win7 File for **

; ** Intel® USB devices **

; ** Last Update: October 5, 2012 (Version 9.3.0 Build 1025) **

[Version]

Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"

Class=USB

ClassGUID={36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

Provider=%INTEL%

CatalogFile=PantUSB.cat

DriverVer=10/05/2012, 9.3.0.1025

[sourceDisksNames]

[sourceDisksFiles]

[ControlFlags]

ExcludeFromSelect=*

[PackageInfo]

Name=Chipset

Condition=Provider(Microsoft)||InstalledDriverName(Chipset)||Provider()

[Manufacturer]

%INTEL%=INTEL,NT.5.1,NTamd64

[iNTEL]

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E26.DeviceDesc%=USB_2K,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E26

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E2D.DeviceDesc%=USB_2K,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E2D

[iNTEL.NT.5.1]

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E26.DeviceDesc%=USB2,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E26

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E2D.DeviceDesc%=USB2,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E2D

[iNTEL.NTamd64]

[uSB_2K.NT]

Include=usb.inf

Needs=UniversalHCD.Dev.NT

[uSB_2K.NT.Services]

Include=usb.inf

Needs=UniversalHCD.Dev.NT.Services

[uSB2.NT]

Include=usbport.inf

Needs=EHCI.Dev.NT

[uSB2.NT.Services]

Include=usbport.inf

Needs=EHCI.Dev.NT.Services

[uSB2.NT.CoInstallers]

Include=usbport.inf

Needs=EHCI.Dev.NT.CoInstallers

[strings]

INTEL="Intel"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E26.DeviceDesc="Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E26"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E2D.DeviceDesc="Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E2D"

REG_DWORD =0x00010001

; Copyright © 2003-2012 Intel Corporation

;

; Intel is making no claims of usability, efficacy or warranty.

; Information in this document is provided in connection with Intel products. No

; license, express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, to any intellectual

; property rights is granted by this document. Intel assumes no liability

; whatsoever, and Intel disclaims any express or implied warranty, relating to

; sale and/or use of Intel products including liability or warranties relating to

; fitness for a particular purpose, merchantability, or infringement of any

; patent, copyright or other intellectual property right. Intel products are not

; intended for use in medical, life saving, or life sustaining applications.

; Intel Corporation disclaims all warranties and liabilities for the use of this

; document and the information contained herein, and assumes no responsibility for

; any errors which may appear in this document, nor does Intel make a commitment

; to update the information contained herein. Intel reserves the right to make

; changes to this document at any time, without notice.

;

; * Third-party brands and names are the property of their respective owners.

As an experiment, I uninstalled the “USB 2.0 Root Hub” entries; predictably, I then lose USB function. However, when I reboot, Windows does its “searching, found new hardware, generic USB hub” routine, and I have USB function again, Windows having automatically detected the workable drivers. I don’t understand why it doesn’t do that in the first place.

Edited by bluebolt

@AnX

But I have to use QupZilla because the latest firefox turns all black when I start it up.

Have you disabled the "Use hardware acceleration when possible" options in the ADVANCED>GENERAL tab in Firefox?

@AnX

Have you disabled the "Use hardware acceleration when possible" options in the ADVANCED>GENERAL tab in Firefox?

I know that would work, but I need hardware acceleration whilst using Flash. This is a problem when using forceware drivers. I'm using Firefox 10, which works great with Adblock Plus, and will install Chrome soon.

Firefox hardware acceleration and Flash hardware acceleration are separate things. You can have hardware acceleration enabled in Flash and disabled in the browser itself. The only browser where hardware acceleration seems to work fine in Windows 2000 is Chromium (and other browsers based on it) but there are several other issues with it.

Edited by tomasz86

Firefox hardware acceleration and Flash hardware acceleration are separate things. You can have hardware acceleration enabled in Flash and disabled in the browser itself. The only browser where hardware acceleration seems to work fine in Windows 2000 is Chromium (and other browsers based on it) but there are several other issues with it.

OK. How can I disable Firefox's acceleration leaving other stuff running with it?

After I run my W2K/IE6/WMP9/All Official Updates OS CD with integrated Intel Chipset Device Software (INF Update Utility) Dated 11/6/2012, there is no USB function. When I go into Device Manager (using the keyboard, thanks tomasz86), the USB Host Controller is set to its “currently installed, and recommended driver,” which is the “Intel 7 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller” located at c:\winnt\inf\oem5.inf. I then select the unrecommended choice instead, which is the “Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller” located at c:\winnt\inf\usb.inf, and I have USB function. Here’s what I find inside c:\winnt\inf\oem5.inf:

; ** FileName: PantUSB.inf **

; ** Abstract: Windows* 2K, XP, 2003 Server INF, Vista, Win7 File for **

; ** Intel® USB devices **

; ** Last Update: October 5, 2012 (Version 9.3.0 Build 1025) **

[Version]

Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"

Class=USB

ClassGUID={36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

Provider=%INTEL%

CatalogFile=PantUSB.cat

DriverVer=10/05/2012, 9.3.0.1025

[sourceDisksNames]

[sourceDisksFiles]

[ControlFlags]

ExcludeFromSelect=*

[PackageInfo]

Name=Chipset

Condition=Provider(Microsoft)||InstalledDriverName(Chipset)||Provider()

[Manufacturer]

%INTEL%=INTEL,NT.5.1,NTamd64

[iNTEL]

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E26.DeviceDesc%=USB_2K,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E26

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E2D.DeviceDesc%=USB_2K,PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E2D

[iNTEL.NT.5.1]

[iNTEL.NTamd64]

[uSB_2K.NT]

Include=usb.inf

Needs=UniversalHCD.Dev.NT

[uSB_2K.NT.Services]

Include=usb.inf

Needs=UniversalHCD.Dev.NT.Services

[uSB2.NT]

Include=usbport.inf

Needs=EHCI.Dev.NT

[uSB2.NT.Services]

Include=usbport.inf

Needs=EHCI.Dev.NT.Services

[uSB2.NT.CoInstallers]

Include=usbport.inf

Needs=EHCI.Dev.NT.CoInstallers

[strings]

INTEL="Intel"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E26.DeviceDesc="Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E26"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E2D.DeviceDesc="Intel® 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E2D"

REG_DWORD =0x00010001

; Copyright © 2003-2012 Intel Corporation

;

; Intel is making no claims of usability, efficacy or warranty.

; Information in this document is provided in connection with Intel products. No

; license, express or implied, by estoppel or otherwise, to any intellectual

; property rights is granted by this document. Intel assumes no liability

; whatsoever, and Intel disclaims any express or implied warranty, relating to

; sale and/or use of Intel products including liability or warranties relating to

; fitness for a particular purpose, merchantability, or infringement of any

; patent, copyright or other intellectual property right. Intel products are not

; intended for use in medical, life saving, or life sustaining applications.

; Intel Corporation disclaims all warranties and liabilities for the use of this

; document and the information contained herein, and assumes no responsibility for

; any errors which may appear in this document, nor does Intel make a commitment

; to update the information contained herein. Intel reserves the right to make

; changes to this document at any time, without notice.

;

; * Third-party brands and names are the property of their respective owners.

As an experiment, I uninstalled the “USB 2.0 Root Hub” entries; predictably, I then lose USB function. However, when I reboot, Windows does its “searching, found new hardware, generic USB hub” routine, and I have USB function again, Windows having automatically detected the workable drivers. I don’t understand why it doesn’t do that in the first place.

I'm thinking Intel hardwired their 6 Series/7 Series chipsets to not enable automatic installation of USB on Win2k. The reason being probably because of SP4's driver not being compatible with the chipset. They want to give the user a chance to install the updated usb drivers, and then, enable USB support the hard way. Pretty stupid, if you ask me.

Edited by AnX

@AnX

I know that would work, but I need hardware acceleration whilst using Flash. This is a problem when using forceware drivers. I'm using Firefox 10, which works great with Adblock Plus, and will install Chrome soon.

OK. How can I disable Firefox's acceleration leaving other stuff running with it?

Uncheck the option "Use hardware acceleration when possible" in Firefox in the OPTIONS> ADVANCED>GENERAL tab.

I have an older version installed right now, but I think it is in the same spot in the the later versions.. tomas86 or anybody can confirm.

Edited by Yffffonz

I'm thinking Intel hardwired their 6 Series/7 Series chipsets to not enable automatic installation of USB on Win2k. The reason being probably because of SP4's driver not being compatible with the chipset. They want to give the user a chance to install the updated usb drivers, and then, enable USB support the hard way. Pretty stupid, if you ask me.

I'm 99% sure that they don't test their new hardware with Windows 2000 at all ;)

If it's not a problem a problem, could you (AnX or bluenote) try to install the system with only USP5.1 integrated this time (with no other updates or drivers) and see what happens?

Uncheck the option "Use hardware acceleration when possible" in Firefox in the OPTIONS> ADVANCED>GENERAL tab.

I have an older version installed right now, but I think it is in the same spot in the the later versions.. tomas86 or anybody can confirm.

I can confirm :w00t: The easiest way to disable hardware acceleration once a newer version of Firefox has been already installed and is unusable is to boot the system into VGA Mode, open Firefox and disable it then.

Edited by tomasz86

I'm 99% sure that they don't test their new hardware with Windows 2000 at all ;)

If it's not a problem a problem, could you (AnX or bluenote) try to install the system with only USP5.1 integrated this time (with no other updates or drivers) and see what happens?

I can confirm :w00t: The easiest way to disable hardware acceleration once a newer version of Firefox has been already installed and is unusable is to boot the system into VGA Mode, open Firefox and disable it then.

OK, I am upgrading to a newer firefox.

EDIT: I've done what you've said, and it works great! No black screen, no lag (like in firefox 10) it's awesome! :thumbup

Edited by AnX

Or just press and hold down the left shift key while launching FireFox, that'll launch it in safe mode and therefor will not have hardware acceleration enabled then. :)

tomasz86: “try to install the system with only USP5.1 integrated this time (with no other updates or drivers) and see what happens”

I installed Windows 2000 using the Dropbox / Windows2000 / UnofficialSP5 / HFSLIP, with original W2KSP3 CD contents copied to the Source folder, and Service Pack 4 and Update Rollup 1 v.2 added to the HF folder.

There is no USB function during Windows Setup, or after.

I installed Windows 2000 using the Dropbox / Windows2000 / UnofficialSP5 / HFSLIP, with original W2KSP3 CD contents copied to the Source folder, and Service Pack 4 and Update Rollup 1 v.2 added to the HF folder.

Please don't add anything to the HFSLIP package :no:

USP5.1 (w2ksp51.exe) is included in HF, and both SP4 and UR1 are already integrated in it. Adding them separately won't do any good. I don't even know if HFSLIP slipstreams USP5.1 at all in such a situation.

Edited by tomasz86

About installing with just USP 5.1, that's what I did. (The CD installs a few necessary after updates afterwards, however USB driver does not change) After messing with the USB drivers, USB function became available. Then I installed UR2, UUR (daily) HD Graphics forceware, and all the other drivers off of the MoBo CD. But I can't find the management engine driver. (PCI Simple Communications Controller).

EDIT: This is a very minor problem, but ever since I've enabled PAE, I've been experiencing slight bit of lag during launching of resource hungry applications. However, it goes away instantly after the program loads.. I think we found a bug, Houston. :blushing:

However it might be that I am using PAE for so little. The problem might not come if I use more than 4GB of RAM. I'm not exactly sure. So, should I disable PAE?

And to make it worse, I'm getting out of memory errors on Sound recorder!!!

NEW EDIT: I've bit the bullet and disabled PAE (for now, will re enable it when I get 8GB of RAM) and the mystery lagging is gone. But Sound Recorder is still asking for memory when there is already plenty. I'm guessing we need the Win2k recorder back.

Edited by AnX