Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

Thanks tomasz86, I’m continuing to test driver integration now (into the installation CD), and I’ll post if I get it worked out, or if I think I have a sensible question along the way for you, or Tommy.

I forgot to mention this earlier, and want to let you know that I had previously tried this installation on a different Z77 motherboard, an Intel DZ77SL-50K, and found the exact same lack of USB function there.

Thanks again for your help. Thanks, Tommy.

That sounds great! Drivers really aren't my department sadly so I won't be able to answer too many related questions to drivers and whatnot. I have slight knowledge about modifying them to work in Windows 2000, but I can't figure out how to make them totally compatible. But we're here to help and it's great we have someone else interested in Windows 2000 and keeping it alive. I think it's the best OS Microsoft created and it's simple enough to not be resource intensive or bloated. :)

Okay got the hard drive in today and put the tower together, installed windows 2000, did the manual registry fix/diskmanager thing to format the unused space. Then I installed Update pack 1 then Ur2 then I tried to install UUrollupv10e only to get the error "c:\winnt\system32\shell32.dll is open or is in use by another program". Nothing I seem to do will get it to work?! Can I track down and delete that particular .dll to get the install to work or is there another solution?

silly me I did that and it worked, only I'm having problems restarting! No big deal I think what happened is that I installed and ran CCcleaner before the final patch and I did a 'fix registry' thing on it-bad move! I'll reinstall and do things properly now. ;)

Turns out it wasn't the CCcleaner, I made 2 failed attempts to install everything before I finally got it working, here it is for those who need it:

1. Install Windows 2000 sp4

2. BEFORE you install or do ANYTHING else (not even install drivers for your motherboard) , install the unoffical 5.1 pack (make sure to reinstall when prompted)

3 Install UR2 pack, reinstall when prompted

4. install UUrollup last

That got the job done!

@OldSchool38 The "official" requirements for UURollup-v10 are Service Pack 4 and Update Rollup 1 OR Unofficial Service Pack 5.1. In case of UURollup-v11 it's Service Pack 4, Update Rollup 1 & Unofficial Update Rollup 2 OR Unofficial Service Pack 5.1 & Update Rollup 2. The difference is that Unofficial SP5.1 installs IE6 while the first type of combination (SP4+UR1) doesn't. UURollup should work even with IE5.5 but, frankly speaking, I haven't really done much testing with IE5.5 and the current releases of UURollup-v11. On the other hand, UURollup-v10 is proven to work with IE5.5 100% correctly.

Edit: I've just tested slipstreaming of SP4+UR1+UURollup-v11 and it seems to work fine too.

@LimeMaster92 What do you mean exactly? You just need to download the package, unpack it and run "update\update.exe". UURollup-v11 (daily or weekly) has to be installed in advance.

Edited by tomasz86

@LimeMaster92 What do you mean exactly? You just need to download the package, unpack it and run "update\update.exe". UURollup-v11 (daily or weekly) has to be installed in advance.

SP 5.2 weekly is installed.

But I can't install .NET Framework.NET 4 as it fails during mid install.

Edited by LimeMaster92

I hope that you mean UURollup-v11. Is it right? :unsure:

Could you send me the log file? It's located in your Windows directory and is called "NETFX101120303540.log".

Edited by tomasz86

Testing NFS High stakes, I get a stupid error when explorer.exe crashes, this particular one says unknown software exception (0xc00000fd) occurred in the application at location 0x77f45a9a.

I'll test it in the next few days. I promise :)

I'm trying to install Neet For Speed: High Stakes but the installer refuses to start saying that it's only for Windows 95 or 98 (even when run in Windows 98 compatibility mode).

I hope that you mean UURollup-v11. Is it right? :unsure:

Could you send me the log file? It's located in your Windows directory and is called "NETFX101120303540.log".

Yes it is UUPRollup-v11

It didn't create a log file called "NETFX101120303540.log".

Edit: Nevermind re-installing SP 5.2 seemed to do the trick. :)

Edited by LimeMaster92

I'm trying to install Neet For Speed: High Stakes but the installer refuses to start saying that it's only for Windows 95 or 98 (even when run in Windows 98 compatibility mode).

It's extremely extremely extremely difficult to install. You need the official Microsoft Windows 2000 Application Compatibility launcher, even blackwingcat's doesn't work. This is where it gets even weirder, it needs to be set for Windows NT Service Pack 5 to install. It doesn't need it to run, just to install. But trust me, that's how it'll work. :)

Edit: Nevermind re-installing SP 5.2 seemed to do the trick :)

I don't understand :wacko:

USP5.2 doesn't exist yet... What exactly have you installed? What's the filename?

There is no way you could have SP 5.2, even I don't have it and I'm the lead tester. Are you sure you don't mean either SP 5.1 or UURollup v11? I'm guessing the latter because even SP 5.1 wouldn't install the NET Framework package. UURollup is not Service Pack 5.2, it's just a update rollup. It'll be included with Service Pack 5.2 along with a lot of other super great things. :)

Which I'm thinking about getting my hands on a few early Whistler builds and seeing if we can use something from them in the new SP 5.2, I will PM you later Tomasz. :)

Edited by Tommy

Edit: Nevermind re-installing SP 5.2 seemed to do the trick :)

I don't understand :wacko:

USP5.2 doesn't exist yet... What exactly have you installed? What's the filename?

Opps I meant I re-installed Windows2000-UURollup-v11-w20130203-x86-ENU.exe. :)

Edited by LimeMaster92