Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

The problem only began after I installed the newest daily update. I'm also using FIreFox 11. For some reason, the one I tried in the link you posted, it's almost completely unusable. Everything in the window turns black. I don't know what's going on with it.

You need to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox settings. I think you should be able to access them if you boot your system into VGA mode (you can select it after pressing F8 before boot screen shows up). Once set, you can safely reboot the system and start Firefox normally.

Do you remember which release of UURollupv-11 you had before? There have been no significant changes in the last few releases. To be more specific:

1. No difference between d130223 and d130222 when it comes to files installed.
  2. Three new files in d130222 compared to d130216 (filemgmt.dll, regedit.exe and timeout.exe).
  3. Japanese urlmon.dll from d130214 was replaced with the English file in d130216.

None of these changes could really make any difference in system core functionalities.

Could you also check Firefox 11 Portable from here?

Edit: I'm writing from Firefox 11 right now and I've checked the weather website. Nothing strange happened but it also doesn't seem to be loaded properly in Firefox 11 while everything seemed fine in the newest version of Firefox (v19) which I use normally.

Edited by tomasz86

I think the only difference was I had the 2-14-2013 daily release installed and then I just installed the 2-23-2013 release on top of that, I skipped yesterdays update. I will test all this stuff again however I just wiped the system since I was having other problems with it. But I'll test out the other things you pointed out and see what happens.

Also, I have another issue and I was suspecting of this for a while now. I'm using the NVIDIA 190.38 driver package and it seems the display driver works just fine but when the control panel is installed and you reboot, the computer hangs painfully long at Preparing Network Connections..., any ideas why this would be? I can be patient but this'll hang for at least a minute and a half to two minutes before I can even log in.

I know that problem with nVIDIA drivers as I experienced exactly the same thing when testing dozens of nVIDIA graphics drivers' versions some time ago. In one word - those drivers are buggy. You can "fix" them by disabling one of the services installed by them (don't remember which one exactly) but I'd suggest using a different version.

Edited by tomasz86

Okay another issue with the tcpip.sys bluescreen. The exact error code is 0xD1 and this time it popped up in Chrome when I was accessing my gmail web client. I went to uninstall the latest daily UURollup but it resulted in the LdrLockLoaderLock bluescreen upon bootup so I decided to wipe the thing once again and I installed the older UURollup, it was 2-16-2013, I made a mistake in my old post. That was the one I used before the newest 2-23-2013 version.

As for the NVIDIA driver, I'm using an older one again on my new installation, I can live with the 1440x900 unless you do know how to add custom resolutions via the registry but I won't worry about it too much for right now. The driver package I'm using right now is 175.16_geforce_winxp_32bit_english_whql.

Edited by Tommy

I'm using the same source I have been for months, it was your November 2012 HF_SLIP compilation. Here's what I did differently this time.

Instead of installing UURollup v11 2-23-2013, I installed UURollup v11 2-16-2013, both being daily versions. I also installed the NVIDIA package I outlined in the last post instead of the 190.38 I did on the last install, which I don't think makes much difference. But since then, I haven't run into the issue anymore. At least as of right now I haven't had one bluescreen yet.

Strange. There's really no way that the few files added in the last daily releases of UURollup-v11 could affect system in any noticeable way. The core files like kernel32.dll, ntdll.dll and others haven't changed for a while since the last version of blackwingcat's kernel which was released on 2013-01-29.

By the way, I've just uploaded a new HFSLIP_ia.7z package with all the latest updates. I've also added new updates to the Windows 2000 Updates List for HFSLIP (changelog). There are 8 new system / IE / DX9 updates and the important thing is that all of them are the official updates released by M$. I've also polished my website a little bit and I'm going to simplify it more in the near future (without removing the important content). I'm also going to add some more useful guidelines, etc.

Edit: At the moment I'm going to investigate into the TeamViewer issue because it's crucial to myself and I need to have TeamViewer running 100% stable. At the moment it does somewhat work but there are some issues with it which don't occur in stock Win2k. blackwingcat keeps saying that in his environment TeamViewer works properly so I'm very curious what the culprit in this case is.

Edited by tomasz86

There is a bug in UURollup, and it's a very old bug because it's present even in UURollup-v6... I'm now testing TeamViewer and basically what happens is that some of TeamViewer's processes don't start on boot:

1. Windows 2000 SP4 + USP5.1 + UR2:
    TeamViewer_Serv, TeamViewer.exe, tv_w32.exe

2. Windows 2000 SP4 + USP5.1 + UR2 + UURollup-v6 (and newer):
    TeamViewer_Serv

Basically speaking, the two other processes don't start after UURollup has been installed. I don't know yet which file(s) may cause such an issue and also have no access to versions of UURollup older than v6 so I'm now examining UURollup-v6 in order to find out where the problem lies. There exist also a possibility that it's not a file but rather a registry setting to cause the problem.

Strange. There's really no way that the few files added in the last daily releases of UURollup-v11 could affect system in any noticeable way. The core files like kernel32.dll, ntdll.dll and others haven't changed for a while since the last version of blackwingcat's kernel which was released on 2013-01-29.

I know it's extremely weird but unless there was something different installed on my system, that was the case. I still haven't had any issues with the bluescreen at all. Didn't you say in the last release 2-23-2013 that blackwingcat changed something? Maybe whatever was changed in there is just causing a few problems with tcpip.sys. I've never ever saw that bluescreen in my life and ever since I wiped the drive and reinstalled Windows with the 2-16-2013 release of UURollup v11 daily, I haven't had any issues at all.

There's also another minor issue I've just noticed. I use the calibri font for email and it's not installed by default with Office 2003 or Windows 2000, but it is with Office 2007 and sometimes I email a few times before I install Office 2007. I know that calibri is included in your UURollup pack, but it's never available to choose from in Office even though it's there. If I manually go to copy and paste it into the font folder, it says it's already there and to uninstall that version before installing a new version. Upon doing that however, I can then select the calibri font to use. Weird. =/

Didn't you say in the last release 2-23-2013 that blackwingcat changed something?

blackwingcat did change something in his kernel32.dll but it was done earlier in January. I just didn't have time to test "proper" slipstreaming of the file since then up to yesterday when I did and found out that the file could be slipstreamed normally without using any "tricks". I only changed structure of the UURollup-v11 daily package but still it affected only the way it is slipstreamed now. There is no difference in case of manual installation.

Edited by tomasz86

User32.dll is broken too... :( It causes TeamViewer to refuse incoming connections saying "authentication rejected".

To sum up:

1. Wtsapi32.dll causes TeamViewer not to start properly on boot.
  2. User32.dll blocks incoming connections in TeamViewer.

I've just uploaded a new daily release of UURollup-v11. This one is very experimental. I've replaced wtsapi32.dll with wtsapi32.dll 5.1.2600.5512 from XP SP3 and added winsta.dll 5.1.2600.5512 from XP SP3 because the first one depends on it. I've also replaced user32.dll with the last version of WildBill's user32.dll which is 5.0.2195.7138.

I've got no idea how system will work with these files. It does boot up. Icons may look strange due to the old user32.dll.