Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

One little problem I've seen, very minor though, in the status bar, it appears there is Japanese language rather than English. Other than that, things still seem to be working out. I wiped my system a lot sooner than I realized since my last install wasn't too good anymore.

Edit: It's related to IE6 somehow. I got a prompt when downloading album information in wmp11 and it was in crazy lettering. I recognized the prompt though, asking if I was sure I wanted to do this as others might be able to see what I'm doing.

Edited by Tommy

It's because of urlmon.dll and it seems that blackwingcat by mistake has added a Japanese version of the file to his latest kernel.

Edit: By the way, here you can download a whole HFSLIP package prepared for slipstreaming with the newest weekly version of UURollup-v11. It's originally for Win2k (Advanced) Server so you may want to remote the few server-only updates. To use it you just need to copy your Windows source files into SOURCE and then run the HFSLIP script.

Edited by tomasz86

Hi, I found this forum a couple of weeks ago when I was looking for information about Windows 2000, I recently began getting some computer parts together to build a system in the next couple of months and was a little nostalgic for Win2k-I wanted a simple system that I could do basic things like play some of my old games etc but wasn't sure if it was still possible to get any more use out of that grand old OS, now I've been jumping for joy seeing the work that's being done in this thread. :thumbup

I had a number of questions I'd like to ask, first have you fixed that japanese language bug yet? Also with the XP compatiblity mode in UU-can you make use of newer security programs like free AVG and the newest version of ZoneAlarm?

In this period I did a lot of trials to install UURollup, but I never had a good result

My environment is ESXi 4.0 and W2k server standard.

I installed:

- w2k server from a Microsoft CD

- SP4 for w2k

- SP5 (from Tomasz's site)

- Urollup2 (from Tomasz's site)

Sometimes I added the URollup2 for server extension too.

When I install UURollup (I tried with the stable version and after the post of Tomasz, with the weekly version (last two)).

After each UURollup installation and reboot, IIS doesn't start with error 1008

I can't understand what I'm wrong.

After first failures I rebuild the server from scratch but nothing is changed.

Only one detail: in some trials I tried to replace advapi32.dll installed from UURollup with the previous version. I receive a lot of error (Netlogon service doesn't start), but IIS goes up.

Thanks to Tomasz and Tommy for your answers.

Ciao a tutti

@OldSchool38 It's always nice to see a "new" Windows 2000 user ;) The Japanese language bug hasn't been fixed yet. As soon as blackwingcat fixes it in his kernel, I'll also add the fixed file to UURollup-v11. I don't know whether you can run AVG or Zone Alarm as I haven't tried to do it. Avast still officially supports Windows 2000 so I think it's the best choice among free AV solutions. As for Java 7, you can install it but there's an unfixed bug (more info here) so using the latest version of Java 6 is recommended.

@Max I'd like to check the problem myself but could you give me instructions step by step what to do to enable IIS and check whether it works or not?

Edited by tomasz86

Thanks Tomasz for your fast and kind reply!

IIS is the service "World Wide Web Publishing Service" and it's enabled by default in win2k server.

When I install SP5, Rollup2 and Rollup 2 Extension for server, at reboot it starts fine.

When I try to install UURollup, at reboot the service always fails with error 1008 (token doesn't exist).

My installations are essentials: win2k (the order of updates is in my previous post), 7zip (sometimes) and VMware Tools

I don't know if it can be helpful, but when I tried to downgrade advapi32.dll to the previous version, I received some errors in startup (for example Netlogon service is not started), but IIS is started fine.

@OldSchool38 It's always nice to see a "new" Windows 2000 user ;) The Japanese language bug hasn't been fixed yet. As soon as blackwingcat fixes it in his kernel, I'll also add the fixed file to UURollup-v11. I don't know whether you can run AVG or Zone Alarm as I haven't tried to do it. Avast still officially supports Windows 2000 so I think it's the best choice among free AV solutions. As for Java 7, you can install it but there's an unfixed bug (more info here) so using the latest version of Java 6 is recommended.

Thanks, I assume if I were to use the current version of your patches-I can just install the new version over them? Also since it's a good idea to use Java 6-will blackcat's 'Java 6 Update 38 Installer for Windows 2000' be compatible with your patches?

@Max I've got Windows 2000 Advanced Server installed here but can't find IIS (World Wide Web Publishing Service) in services. Are you sure that it's installed by default? I'll try to search for more information later when I've got some free time.

@OldSchool38 It's a little bit complicated as there are currently three different "channels" of UURollup - stable, weekly and daily (detailed information available in #1). Daily releases are for testing purpose only so don't use them if having a stable system is a priority for you. Weekly releases can be installed over previous stable and weekly releases but don't install them over dailies. If you decide to install a daily release and then want to install a weekly or stable release again then the best way would be to uninstall the daily one before doing that.

In one word, the safest way is to just uninstall the previous version but if it's impossible then you can safely install any weekly or stable release over older weekly or stable releases. If you want to be super safe then just stick to stable releases only. I can't guarantee what will happen if you install releases from different channels over a daily release since I don't test it :ph34r:

As for Java, you don't need to use any unofficial installers if you've got UURollup installed. Just use the newest official Java 6 installer from here.

@OldSchool38...

Also since it's a good idea to use Java 6-will blackcat's 'Java 6 Update 38 Installer for Windows 2000' be compatible with your patches?

bwc has an updated 'Java 6 Update 39 Installer for Windows 2000' and those installers can be used on a standard win2k without any extended kernel installed (just in case you were wondering)

I don't know whether you can run AVG

I'm an AVG 9 user. It's still being updated on a daily basis and works great! If you want to go with AVG, this one is still being updated. I'm currently trying to get newer versions to work with little success as it seem they rely on drivers now.

It's because of urlmon.dll and it seems that blackwingcat by mistake has added a Japanese version of the file to his latest kernel.

Edit: By the way, here you can download a whole HFSLIP package prepared for slipstreaming with the newest weekly version of UURollup-v11. It's originally for Win2k (Advanced) Server so you may want to remote the few server-only updates. To use it you just need to copy your Windows source files into SOURCE and then run the HFSLIP script.

Hi tomasz86,

Thanks for the updated HFSLIP package as I had some old updates that needed new versions and some that needed to be deleted. I just installed it with no apparent issues. I was wondering if you had any plans to update your .net package with the newest updates from January or have you shelved that for now? If so, I totally understand, I'm just inquiring.

As always I appreciate all the work you put into this project.

Regards,

M2GD

Edited by My2GirlsDad