Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

I can't really help with the problem as it would require to check all of those items one by one :( What I'm sure about is that UURollup can't cause such a problem itself. It must be another update / driver / program to be the culprit.

Tomorrow I'm going to upload a new weekly version of UURollup-v11 and this will be something like a RC (as UURollup-v11 stable is going to be ready next week). At the moment there's still one known bug, i.e. Silverlight doesn't work with East Asian locales other than Japanese.

@SearanoX: Use Find to search for the text "LdrLoadLock" in files of type *.dll and *.exe in your Windows folder and below. Expand the search as necessary until you find something--It has to be there somewhere! Once you get some hits, use Dependency Walker to confirm.

Edit: Just did a Google search and found out there is no such thing as "LdrLoadLock"--did you mean "LoaderLock", "LdrLockLoaderLock", or perhaps "LdrpLoaderLock" ???

Edited by jumper

I've finished preparing a new weekly release of UURollup-v11 but haven't been able to test slipstreaming yet. I hope to do it tomorrow and if everything is all right then I'll upload the file.

@jumper Thanks for checking the function. I also think that it must be something different than LdrLoadLock (I'm guessing that it's probably LdrLockLoaderLock).

I've finished preparing a new weekly release of UURollup-v11 but haven't been able to test slipstreaming yet. I hope to do it tomorrow and if everything is all right then I'll upload the file.

@jumper Thanks for checking the function. I also think that it must be something different than LdrLoadLock (I'm guessing that it's probably LdrLockLoaderLock).

I think you guys are right. I couldn't remember the name exactly but I knew it had something to do with Ldr and Lock. Seems to me I got the error also when just using blackwingcat's kernel extension about a year ago when that's what I was using. But it didn't result in a blue screen but rather as critical stop messages in Windows.

There seems to be a problem in the newest weekly / daily releases of UURollup-v11. After slipstreaming and installing the system Cryptographic Service doesn't start (it does when UURollup has been installed manually). I don't know what causes the problem and need more time for testing... so I don't think it will be possible to release a stable version of UURollup-v11 this month. I think that it will be better to have more time to test it more thoroughly to eliminate all bugs and make sure that everything works perfectly OK.

I would say wait on releasing a stable version too, especially to iron out a few of the bugs we're investigating now as well.

I still sometimes have random explorer crashes but I can't remember exactly what you told me to run in order to figure out what causes them. They don't happen all the time but at times I click on my external drive and I just get a random critical stop error and it either just closes the current window or it takes the entire explorer.exe down with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to upload a new daily release of UURollup-v11 later today... but I'd like to ask you for something. Could anyone check whether hibernation works in his system? That is in a system where recent weekly or daily version of UURollup-v11 has been installed.

Edit: By the way, I'm planning to add a simple firewall to USP 5.2. It's still a far-distance plan but I'm going to use Malware Defender 2.7.3.0003 as a basis. It's very light, quite simple but also offers many configuration options for advanced users. It's also the newest available firewall software supporting Win2k. I'm not going to integrate it as it is but rather prepare a minimalistic version which would be easier to use for beginners too (a kind of "one-click" solution). This firewall would be disabled by default and available in the Control Panel. You would also be able to uninstall it using the Control Panel's Add/Remove Windows Components applet.

Edited by tomasz86

I'm going to upload a new daily release of UURollup-v11 later today... but I'd like to ask you for something. Could anyone check whether hibernation works in his system? That is in a system where recent weekly or daily version of UURollup-v11 has been installed.

Does that basically mean me? XD

Edit: By the way, I'm planning to add a simple firewall to USP 5.2. It's still a far-distance plan but I'm going to use Malware Defender 2.7.3.0003 as a basis. It's very light, quite simple but also offers many configuration options for advanced users. It's also the newest available firewall software supporting Win2k. I'm not going to integrate it as it is but rather prepare a minimalistic version which would be easier to use for beginners too (a kind of "one-click" solution). This firewall would be disabled by default and available in the Control Panel. You would also be able to uninstall it using the Control Panel's Add/Remove Windows Components applet.

I absolutely LOVE this idea! It'd be great if you could make it where it's as easy to use as the Windows Firewall. Something very basic and easy to configure.

Does that basically mean me? XD

Probably yes :P I'm getting an error when trying to enable hibernation in my system and I wonder whether it's just an individual issue or maybe a more serious problem.

After a two-week break a new daily of UURollup-v11 is ready.

There are no drastic changes in it. I've just updated all kernel files to the newest versions and also partially re-enabled Automatic Updates in order to make Windows Defender update mechanism work (thanks for information).

Edited by tomasz86

@EveryBody

Happy new year to all MSFN users! :D

@tomasz86

Malware Defender 2.7.3.0003... is this the last version working on W2K ?

I've found a little issue about MD 2.7 and chkdsk on xp-sp3 here... i don't know if it's important in the context of w2k but... :)

i've downloaded Windows2000-UURollup-v11-d130105-x86-ENU.7z from DropBox and my AV avast! 4.8 is yelling that

sfc.dll is a trojan. Win32:Banker-BKL [Trj]

i think is a FALSE POSITIVE result

Can you confirme that is a false positive ?

regards

hackeronte

Edited by Hackeronte

@Hackeronte

Happy new year to you too!!

I scanned sfc.dll with AVG, no issues reported.

@tomasz86

Hibernate doesn't work for me either. I never actually used it but when I did enable it and tried it out, the screen goes black and just goes right back to the desktop and starts up again. Apparently it is a major bug.

Happy New Year! :)

It's a false positive. SFC.DLL has been patched in order to disable Windows File Protection as it was going crazy with unofficial files installed (especially when installing a newer version of UURollup over an older one and then uninstalling it, WFP wanted to replace the official files with the unofficial ones, etc.).

I get this when trying to enable Hibernation:

rHTES.jpg

I guess we'll have to to test it more thoroughly later to find out whether it's indeed UURollup to break it.

Thanks for info about Malware Defender. I'll try to test the issue here.

I didn't get that error message. All it did was it acted like it was going to hibernate but once the screen turned black like it was off, it just came back to the desktop like nothing happened.