Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

tomasz86

I'm sorry for a late answer. I've been busy with downloading the remaining Windows 2000 updates from M$ servers as long as they are still there :(

@bluenote

Thanks for your interest. As you're using a French version of Win2k normally you're not allowed to install other language versions in your system. Of course it's possible to forcibly install them but doing so will make parts of your system change into the other language, ex. if you decide to install USP5.1 in your system then most of it will probably be in English after doing so. In order to install USP5.1 (and all other English unofficial updates) you need to:

1) Unpack it.

2) Go to i386\update.

3) Open update.inf.

4) Change

LanguageType = %LangTypeValue%

to

LanguageType = 0x00

5) Run update.exe and install the package.

You're saying that you installed UURollup without installing UR1 before. As you've already mentioned in the PM it's the Global version which you installed which, being much less intrusive then the English one, will probably work without it too. Still, having UR1 and UR2 is recommended. On the other hand, you're saying that you've got almost all M$ official updates from Windows Update installed which in most cases would mean that UR1 is among them.

Anyway, the most important question is whether you want to translate UURollup (ENU) into French or just want to use the English packages in your French system.

Edited by tomasz86

Thanks for your details. Of course I'd like to translate it into french, but I have no idea how long this will take and what environment I will require.

Do you work on source files, or is there a mean to change the resources compiled into the DLLs and other files ?

In the past I just used PE Explorer to manually translate all strings. I don't know of any better method but if someone does then I'll be very thankful if you could share it. Translating the strings manually is very easy, just quite time-consuming :ph34r:

Edit: By the way, there won't be any new weekly version of UURollup today. Only minor changes were done during the week and I also haven't had enough time to prepare and test it. I've been working on a new daily daily though, this time trying to incorporate several new files from BWC kernel.

Edited by tomasz86

Good news :thumbup

I've finally managed to find out what was causing the crash when BWC ntdll.dll was added to UURollup. "Srvsvc.dll" from WB's KB2508429 was the culprit. Now it should be possible to really switch to BWC kernel (kernel32.dll/ntdll.dll and other kernel .exe files).

@Tomasz86

Hi,

I'm GLAD :thumbup to know that You " 've finally managed to find out what was causing the crash when BWC ntdll.dll was added to UURollup "

I'm a secret fan B) of BWC and his KernelEx (He even kindly & generously compiled a ITA flavour of his wonderful piece of code!)

Good Job, Tomasz !

Regards, hackeronte

P.S.

Waiting for further instructions for italian project ;)

Thanks for all your support :)

If it's not a problem I'd like to ask you to wait for a while until the transition to BWC kernel is finished. Then we can go on with the translation process and I hope that we will be able to finish it in the near future.

BlackWingCat has managed to run .NET Framework 4.0's msbuild.exe:

http://oldcigaret.info/win2k/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=721&p=3186#p3186

It means that after the transition to BWC kernel in UURollup is done I'm going to focus on the .NET Framework packages once again. This time I'm going to keep them separated because it's easier to test and track bugs in them then. They will be merged automatically to reduce the size before adding them to USP 5.2 but I'm still going to maintain separate packages.

A big update today:

• UURollup-v10c (ENU) is ready. It's almost exactly the same as the last weekly version of UURollup-v11. I've only fixed some minor bugs in the installer. The reason why it's called v10c and not v11 is simply because the changes are not that important and also I want UURollup-v11 to be the first one where BWC kernel is used instead of the currently used WB kernel.
    This is what has changed:
    - many files have been updated
    - several bugs have been fixed
    - 32-bit icon support has been dropped.
    Actually I know that I should provide a detailed changelog but I haven't thought about it earlier and no changelog exists for the previous versions of UURollup. It's too late to suddenly start at new one at the moment.
  • I've temporarily removed the complete method from my website.
    The problem with it was that:
    - many people were confused about how to use it
    - the script couldn't download several files anymore because they were removed from M$ servers a few days ago.
    I'm going to replace it with a HFSLIP-2-Go package later (check Mim0's topic in the HFSLIP subforum for details).
  • I've managed to download almost all Windows 2000 updates / hotfixes / HBRs* from M$ servers (almost 8000 files, 6.5 GB). They are available to download from my second SkyDrive account. I'm going to create a separate topic about it but I'm waiting until I've downloaded absolutely all of the required files. One important point here is that Update Rollup 1 which is no longer available to download from M$ is present in the SkyDrive archive :) There is just one drawback of SkyDrive which is that you have to be logged in in order to download files larger than ~30 MB. Fortunately it's very easy to create an account there so I hope it won't be an obstacle for anyone interested in getting the files.
    *acus greatly helped me download the hotfixes.

Edited by tomasz86

Just a quick update today. No one has complained on the new version of UURollup so far. I hope that everything works fine. Actually, this is the first version which was released after the new "release plan" had been introduced. Before that it wasn't tested that thoroughly but thanks to the daily & weekly versions it's much easier to test everything because changes are made one by one / step by step so all bugs can be traced very quickly.

Anyway, I've almost finished downloading all of the official updates but they exceed the 7 GB limit of SkyDrive by ~200 MB :ph34r: so I'm thinking about dividing them into two separate SkyDrive accounts. If I do it then I'll be able to upload SP4 there too. SP4 is available in 25 different language versions and takes 3 GB alone :w00t: As I said before, I'm going to create a separate topic about this.

After that I'm going to continue with the kernel transition of UURollup. A new daily version of it should be ready shortly.

After thinking more about it I'm considering switching from SkyDrive to Google Drive and actually paying 2.49$ a month for 25 GB of storage. It's not very expensive and has one big advantage - Google Drive application works in Windows 2000 :thumbup This way it would be possible to store everything in one place.

Edit: Another advantage of Google Drive is that you don't need to have an account in order to download large files (as it's the case with SkyDrive).

Edited by tomasz86

A new daily version of UURollup-v11 is ready. This is the first version where BWC kernel is used.

• Almost all files from BWC kernel are now used in UURollup (ENU). I've still left the three files (dbgeng.dll, dbghelp.dll and imagehlp.dll) from Windows XP "Whistler" 5.1.2430.1 because I'm not sure about the compatibility of the new versions which BlackWingCat's recently added to his kernel.
  • All catalog files and registry entries related to the official updates superseded by UURollup (ENU) have been removed. They are useless because Windows Update mustn't be used with unofficial updates anyway and SFC doesn't work for the modified files too. Actually I'm going to disable SFC completely in the near future because it can only cause unpredicted problems, ex. restore some of the original system files and therefore break the system completely in the worst scenario.
  • All files coming from the Kel's Runtimes addon have been removed. They are going to be included in USP5.2 separately.
  • All other files have been updated to the newest version available (mainly the ones by BlackWingCat and also several MS VC++ related files).
  • Thanks to the changes mentioned above the size of UURollup (ENU) has decreased by a few MBs and also less bloat is added to the registry.

That's it for now. I haven't tested slipstreaming yet, only manual installation. I'd be very glad if someone tested this new version. Remember that it's still very experimental!!! so do not ever try to install it in your real system!!! I recommend testing it in a VM.

At the moment you can still find the test versions in the SkyDrive archive.

Edit: I'd be especially interested in what happens when you install the new version over UURollup-v10c (without uninstalling the latter).

Edited by tomasz86

After testing I can confirm that installing the new daily version over UURollup-v10c does not work. The system will not boot after doing so. I've tracked down the culprit and managed to fix it. The fix will be included in the next daily.

Now the problem is that even though everything seems to work OK in a VM, when I try to install this new version in my real system then it doesn't boot too. It just restarts itself as soon as the blue background is shown before even any messages pop up. I don't know what the reason is but I'm going to try it on a clean installation because the one I'm using now has been modified in very different ways so it's kind of messy and "worn out".

Edited by tomasz86

I tried the install with your latest daily Windows2000-UURollup-v11d120903-x86-ENU over an install of your stable release v10c ENU and it worked almost perfectly expect when booting up it gives a s***down error message giving you 1 minute to finish your work because "services.exe" unexpectedly crashed and it will restart a program called sc.exe ran afterwards and poped up as a command prompt window which i closed as it stay upon for half the time and then it booted to the desktop before it rebooted and you were able to interact with the desktop and star menus before the reboot this was on an actual hardrive pc install not a VM

Edit:typo

Edited by desertofunknown

Thank you for testing the daily version on a real hardware :) That's the error I was talking about. It's caused by WildBill's srvsvc.dll which I mentioned in #139. The file is installed by UURollup-v10c and then it's still present when you install the new version with BWC kernel. I've fixed this by adding an older (official) version of srvsvc.dll which overwrites the WildBill's file.

I've just uploaded a new daily version.

Changes:

• Added
    srvsvc.dll 5.0.2195.6930

It will overwrite all other versions.

• Added
    mshtmled.dll 6.0.2900.6254

for IE6 SP3. This is an experimental change. The file itself comes from the newest IE Cumulative Update for XP. It's installed only when IE6 is present in the system (it's not installed in an IE5 based system).

• This version can be installed over BWC kernel and it should be also possible to install it over any older version of UURollup.

Edited by tomasz86